IKEA-missing parts

SidJames

Folks,

Has anyone had dealing with IKEA in regards to missing parts when you've opened the box(es)?

Their website says to call in with the receipt but I live 2 hrs away so that's a minimum 4 hr round trip.

I tried phoning but auotmated telephone system just bounced me around with no one answering.

I've emailed & got the unusal generic email thanking me for contacting them & then promising that someone will contact me within 48hrs.

I've seen the film '48 HRS' & I don't want to do through that palaver ;)

Any advice?

SJ

Thats gotta be frustrating...

How significant are the missing parts ?

is it something which could be replaced or made to order locally - perhaps saving the cost of a return trip to BKK ?

options:

1) Keep Trying the BKK numbers until you get through to someone.

2) Call their head office (Skype) in Sweden.

3) A friendly ThaiVisa Member who is visiting IKEA offers to make direct contact in person on your behalf (obviously this will involve a PM and numbers etc).

4) Get the replacement for the missing part made locally.

I bought a cot in the UK, shipped it to Thailand, was doing the thing where you take the side off to make a small bed and snapped one of the plastic things the screws go into. Printed copy of instructions off t'internet, wife went to Ikea, they didn't have the part in stock so ordered it, it was delivered to my address a couple of weeks later. Free. Brilliant service.

Edited by Bench499d

When things are delivered I check them thoroughly before signing.

Recently had a microwave delivered from Homepro and the thing which spins the dishes was missing.

Of course the delivery guy tried to say all was fine but I just refused it...sure enough later I got the thing fully delivered.

Some of these guys don't have a clue really.

Depending on what it is but a lot of those screws and bolts are relatively generic to other flat pack furniture . Maybe do a swap or use wood screws or whatever on if it is in a position it can't be seen.

Or in my experience i always have a few left over because i don't follow the instructions and make it up as i go along with the assembly smile.png

Edited by xen

Our company buys a lot of Ikea furniture. And I do mean a lot. I have had excellent service from them in Thailand.

I would advise you to phone them before you go. We recently lost a part for a bed (our fault). We gave them a call and they contacted us the next day. They had the part for us and it was 200b.

Very positive experiences.

Not unusual that it happens at IKEA. Not just in Thailand but throughout the world. And they normally don't care a shit.

Ikea will provide the replacement parts if requested. However, no one over the age of 35 buys Ikea furniture. It's not made to last.

That's crap, I have plenty of IKEA furniture that I bought in the UK and France before moving here. Still going strong after 12-15 years.

And if they are not built to last, why do they offer 10 year guarantees on sofas (just one example)

And 35 is way behind me as well [emoji12]

Edited by moonoi

I ended up going down to the shop.

First member couldn't find the parts so 2 more staff were called but no luck.

Finally what appeared to be their main assembly guy came & after some time going through the boxes & instructions he was able to show me that they were actually all there in the first place.

It was just that the instruction manual & the list of parts were not clear enough.

I thanked him for his help & patience & he told me to call or email next time.

I told him that I had but got no answer on the phone & no email (I did get an email about 4 days later)

All's well that ends well