Lawyers Council to appeal Koh Tao convicts’ death sentence

webfact

Meanwhile, the real killers don't have to prepare for their deaths. They are too busy partying on Koh Tao and elsewhere to think about things like that.

That is nothing more than tittle-tattle

A lot less tittle-tattle than the police investigation and the evidence presented by the prosecution at the trial.

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These criminals now have organized campaigns of propaganda to build sympathy for them, as if they are the victims. The Justice system needs to move more swiftly and if necessary the laws changed to make capital punishment faster and make appeals a shorter process.

I take it you are referring to the B2 and calling them criminals can you please show the link where they have orgainised campaigns of propaganda ?

Try Googling "organized campaigns for the koh tao two"

Done that Please provide the link as I can't find any info where the B2 organised any campaigns.

Let me make it clearer for you, I’m saying that they have organized campaigns of propaganda to build sympathy for them, and obviously they can’t organize themselves, but others are organizing on their behalf.

God speed boys. The world is with you. Unfortunately millions (2.5 million pounds sterling I've heard so far) and a crooked system are against you.

I see that one of the troll troupe have turned up. Dispy, lala and poe to come along shortly.

Sorry,

But there is no way the figure of 2.5 million pounds (GBP) is correct, it's a nonsense figure.

Many/ most of their defence has been ' pro bono ' they have hardly been flying witnesses in from around the globe nor expert witnesses who have chosen to attend voluntarily. I think this is just people pulling figures out of their barstools.

I firmly believe there is also an error in the headline regards the reporting of this case, the lawyers will most certainly be appealing both sentence and conviction.

The rumour is that the 2.5 mill has been paid by the real perps' family to buy twisted 'justice'.

Like I said, I expect them to challenge the verdict. There is no point in raising five key points from the original trial if they aren't. Challenging the severity of the sentence doesn't involve challenging the original evidence.

What planet are you on? ?

They are going to challenge the sentence not the verdict. They could possibly use humanitarian grounds such as

1.the b2 were tortured.

2. they were forced to confess

3.the translaters were not fluent in any of the languages.

4. They are young and did not understand fully their decision to go to trial.

5.the dna fiasco.

All of the above is true, but there were many other evidences.

The story says they are appealing the death sentence.

Not the verdict.

Bless. We all wanted them to be innocent. But alas they are not.

Plus the DNA was absolutely useless, although i believe that the judge placed his verdict on DNA evidence , or said that he did !

God speed boys. The world is with you. Unfortunately millions (2.5 million pounds sterling I've heard so far) and a crooked system are against you.

I see that one of the troll troupe have turned up. Dispy, lala and poe to come along shortly.

Sorry,

But there is no way the figure of 2.5 million pounds (GBP) is correct, it's a nonsense figure.

Many/ most of their defence has been ' pro bono ' they have hardly been flying witnesses in from around the globe nor expert witnesses who have chosen to attend voluntarily. I think this is just people pulling figures out of their barstools.

I firmly believe there is also an error in the headline regards the reporting of this case, the lawyers will most certainly be appealing both sentence and conviction.

The rumour is that the 2.5 mill has been paid by the real perps' family to buy twisted 'justice'.

Ah, OK,

That clarifies.

Well, for the amount of people now involved ( all of whom won't do it for free ) and their ranks and levels in government, I could believe that.

Am I missing something? The Myanmar Times ran this story a few days ago – before any deadline.

One thing I am sure of, this case should have thrown out of court.

And it is unbelievable that the death sentence should be handed out, which usually relies on incontrovertible proof.

This case was so profoundly mishandled that nobody can find the truth now, obviously suspicion of their guilt will remain but you cant sentence somebody to death on mere suspicion.

Plus the fact that the real perpetrators whom most of us can point the finger at, are still running free and that there have been more mysterious deaths on Koh Tao since !

Nothing like a bit of vigilantism eh OS?

We've had one seemingly very flawed investigation so let's have a show of hands based on social media speculation instead.

Wouldn't it be better to have had a real pukka investigation in the first place? But TiT so start with the desired outcome and work backwards instead. But replacing that with social media speculation fueled by the all knowing bar stool brigade? Hardly a step forward.

These criminals now have organized campaigns of propaganda to build sympathy for them, as if they are the victims. The Justice system needs to move more swiftly and if necessary the laws changed to make capital punishment faster and make appeals a shorter process.

I take it you are referring to the B2 and calling them criminals can you please show the link where they have orgainised campaigns of propaganda ?

You can't provide a link so now you change the story completely.

Sorry,

Again more tittle-tattle

Straight from the mouth of the lynch mob, hang 'em high brigade. Are you promoting this quick execution(s) idea on behalf of anyone in particular? Sorry, a rhetorical question, since we all know dead men can't point the finger at the real perpetrators, can they?

You can't provide a link so now you change the story completely.

Nice try with the editing

Let me make it clearer for you, I’m saying that they have organized campaigns of propaganda to build sympathy for them, and obviously they can’t organize themselves, but others are organizing on their behalf.

clap2.gifclap2.gif Appreciated the efforts of The Lawyers Council of Thailand! clap2.gifclap2.gif

At least they are giving some hope for these convicted poor boys.

By waiting to the very last day to apply for an extension to the whole appeal process? That should have been done immediately upon a guilty verdict. Also this article fails to mention whether they will appeal that guilty verdict or if this is strictly to appeal death sentence for them

Straight from the mouth of the lynch mob, hang 'em high brigade. Are you promoting this quick execution(s) idea on behalf of anyone in particular? Sorry, a rhetorical question, since we all know dead men can't point the finger at the real perpetrators, can they?

Most murderers feel they most likely will never be put to death, as they know that their appeals can take a long time. I am sure if the death penalty was carried out swiftly, there would be a decrease in homicide rates

I hope you all have noticed, they will appeal the death penalty.

It does not say they will appeal the verdict of guilty.

That speaks volumes.

And you are 100% totally confident that the translation to English is totally absolutely perfect?

A question: Do you think PBS has a team of lawyers fluent in both Thai and English who very seriously check such translations?

I very much doubt it.

I'm sure the translaters know the difference between.

Appealing the verdict.

Appealing the death penalty.

Similar to the burmese government, that was against the sentence, but said nothing about the verdict.

And David's father being sure of the verdict but against the death penalty.

Even in prison, their lives will be better than hannah and david will have now.

In regard to the translation I absolutely don't agree.

Let me make it clearer for you, Im saying that they have organized campaigns of propaganda to build sympathy for them, and obviously they cant organize themselves, but others are organizing on their behalf.

And I'm saying that you have made that allegation up. Though you're correct that educated people (who saw through this Thai Mafia charade a long time ago) are taking it upon themselves to 'bat' on the B2s behalf.

Edited by Khun Han

Meanwhile, the real killers don't have to prepare for their deaths. They are too busy partying on Koh Tao and elsewhere to think about things like that.

That is nothing more than tittle-tattle

It's tittle tattle if youn buy into (or are bought into) the Thai Mafia scheme of things. If you live in the real world (you know, the one where real, highly qualified and hugely experienced experts do real crime and criminal proceedings analysis) it's a bald statement of fact.

The assailants were apprehended and charged and convicted. They had the power of the judicial process to protect their rights. That's a "bald statement of fact"

Not only that, that had lawyers working on their case from 4 different countries.
Australia, UK, burmese and Thai.
They had forensic experts from thailand and Australia.
They had more than 2 million baht in donations to have this case investigated as all the lawyers and experts worked for free. Still the best they could come with is " our human rights have been violated " they had everything they needed and lost.

Sorry,

Again more tittle-tattle
Hint: the key word is 'rumour'. And my post was merely to correct a misunderstanding.

Telling that you were all over it like a rash though ;) .

Edited by Khun Han

Hold on there, Stealth. The B2 are criminals, if you can call coercing the BIB into accepting bribes a crime. Don't you recall that many Myanmar workers on KT were guilty of the same crime of asking the police to overlook their illegal status as immigrants/workers in exchange for backhanders. What's worse is the Myanmar workers' crime of renting motorcycles and then bribing the police to overlook this as well. The Myanmar workers were carrying out other dastardly activities though. Would you believe they even printed 'membership' cards to have their payments recorded by the police. Their devious ingenuity didn't stop there though, they actually had stamps (KT turtle motif) printed and stuck to the cards as physical evidence of payments!! Forgive the unintended pun, but even this criminal charge wouldn't 'stick' in a real court of justice,for obvious reasons, but it is far more believable that the actual evidence of criminal activities laid before the court in this trial.

I hope you all have noticed, they will appeal the death penalty.

It does not say they will appeal the verdict of guilty.

That speaks volumes.

Sorry sweetie check the latest article published 15 mins ago http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1453808903&section=12&typecate=06

hyo Wai Lin zaw and are forced to remain in their Cell and Wear shackles 24 hours a Day, according to Nakhon Chompuchat Lawyer, Who Will He said file an Appeal of their Conviction Some time in February after being granted an Extension by the Court.

Again....for those non-conspiratorial people...they convicted the right people, this one they got right. The appeal process is what every murdering scum has the right to file. Even if they had a video of those ba$turds swinging the hoe that disabled David. While I personally think this a waste of time and resources I guess they can have their day.

The scum who did this were rightfully convicted and after this appeal maybe the death sentence will be reduced to 100 years. I am ok with that also and actually like that better. This way they can rot in jail and maybe get their som nam na!

I think a lot of the "smart alecs" on this forum should be charged with contempt of court. They know little about the Thai justice system. Many small provincial courts are influenced by powerful locals and many verdicts by them are overturned by higher courts.

I am quite sure they will be acquitted because I and have full faith in the High Court. They can not be bought as some ignorant posters claim.

Like I said, I expect them to challenge the verdict. There is no point in raising five key points from the original trial if they aren't. Challenging the severity of the sentence doesn't involve challenging the original evidence.

They are going to challenge the sentence not the verdict. They could possibly use humanitarian grounds such as

1.the b2 were tortured.

5.the dna fiasco.

Not the verdict.

Hey Deckchair, keeping the B2 alive is the first step....Stay tuned....thumbsup.gif

Hey, transcam, didn't you know that death penalty cases in thailand are commuted to life and reduced by 5 years every year by the king.

If they pled guilty they would have gotten an automatic half sentence of a life sentence and it would have reduced every year. But because some idiot filled their young heads with fantasies that they would walk away from this ,they got the full sentence. So, first it will reduce death to a life sentence.

Then it will reduce 5 years every year from the kings birthday pardon. But still they will do an extra 10 or 20 years

More than if they fessed up. The judge warned them at the beginning. If you did this, and lose this case, you will get the death penalty. Nobody listened.

Myanmar Ambassador U Win Maung said the case must be appealed and treated fairly.

Observers at the trial said little concrete evidence was presented by the prosecution and DNA evidence gathered in the case was flawed and inconclusive.

In a trial where torture allegations by the two accused were left uninvestigated and DNA evidence was called into question by Thailand's most prominent forensic pathologist,

both the ruling and these death sentences are profoundly disturbing, said Phil Robertson, the deputy director of Human Rights Watch's Asia division.

http://mizzima.com/news-regional/thai-lawyers-council-appeal-koh-tao-murder-verdicts#sthash.bYy1avwo.dpuf

Yes, Phil Robertson, declares, their guilt or innocence is irrelevant. the case was handled unfairly, therefore they should be set free regardless. It's all about their human rights. He would like nothing more than to have them set free on a technicality spun out by some fancy pancy lawyer.

Let me go vomit.

By all means go ahead and vomit out that pack of lies, unless you'd like to quote exactly where Phil Robertson "declares, their guilt or innocence is irrelevant"

Noticed today the Military Junta is also condemning Amnesty as encouraging law breakers. Human Rights is not something respected by them or certain posters on here including you.

Take a towel with you duck and try not to make to much mess

1.the b2 were tortured.

5.the dna fiasco.

Not the verdict.

Hey Deckchair, keeping the B2 alive is the first step....Stay tuned....thumbsup.gif

Hey, transcam, didn't you know that death penalty cases in thailand are commuted to life and reduced by 5 years every year by the king.

If they pled guilty they would have gotten an automatic half sentence of a life sentence and it would have reduced every year. But because some idiot filled their young heads with fantasies that they would walk away from this ,they got the full sentence. So, first it will reduce death to a life sentence.

Then it will reduce 5 years every year from the kings birthday pardon. But still they will do an extra 10 or 20 years

More than if they fessed up. The judge warned them at the beginning. If you did this, and lose this case, you will get the death penalty. Nobody listened.

The last person to be executed in Thailand was in 2009

I'd rather be dead than spend the rest of my life in a Thai prison.

Well said Rethier:

It was reported today under the by line Teeranai Charuvastra, staff reporter, Khaosod news service, that the B2 have been continually mistreated in prison particularly with regard to being confined to their cells and being shackled 24 hours a day. This kind of treatment belongs in the dark ages and should have remained in the Dark Ages. It is now so easy to see where the general is heading. Here is hoping that the unfortunate and unlucky pair can be transferred to Bangkok without delay and then their monitoring and welfare will be much closer to the World's gaze.Shame on you Thailand

Again....for those non-conspiratorial people...they convicted the right people, this one they got right. The appeal process is what every murdering scum has the right to file. Even if they had a video of those ba$turds swinging the hoe that disabled David. While I personally think this a waste of time and resources I guess they can have their day.

The scum who did this were rightfully convicted and after this appeal maybe the death sentence will be reduced to 100 years. I am ok with that also and actually like that better. This way they can rot in jail and maybe get their som nam na!

Your wrong, not every "murdering scum" has the right to an appeal, an appeal is only accepted if there are grounds for it and that is decided by the appeal judge. I can see plenty of grounds for an appeal in this shoddy case

Am I missing something? The Myanmar Times ran this story a few days ago – before any deadline.

One thing I am sure of, this case should have thrown out of court.

And it is unbelievable that the death sentence should be handed out, which usually relies on incontrovertible proof.

This case was so profoundly mishandled that nobody can find the truth now, obviously suspicion of their guilt will remain but you cant sentence somebody to death on mere suspicion.

Wrong this wasn't only mishandled, this case AND the outcome has been rigged, fabricated, and paid in advance from the outset. Money talks, and influential people and their hired killazzzz walk. Mafia always gets their way with the support of their favorite and currently ruling regime....

Yes, what great alternatives the Thai populace get: Obscenely corrupt, Thaksin-sponsored regimes or The Mafia.

Errr! did'nt Thaksin get kicked out on trumped up charges by the Yellow shirts years ago ?

I think it's window dressing. I can't picture a Thai attorney facing off against a judge. It was one or more judges who gave the verdict. The self-appointed PM is behind the verdict as are all RTP top brass. This is a highly stratified society. A group of attorneys don't have 1/10th the clout as those at the top of the pyramid. I predict the ruling will stand, and the scapegoats will get a pardon (no execution + life sentence shortened to 10 or 15 years). Pardons are rather common in Thailand.

It's rather sick that the 2 suspects were always bundled together as if they're Siamese twins. Wei admitted finding a phone in the sand. All those closely following the case agree somewhat that his friend Zaw was probably asleep at their room during the time of the crime. Wei is facing execution for finding a phone, and Zaw faces same for not finding a phone. The DNA was supposed to be the linchpin for finding them guilty, but the DNA trail is so tattered, skewed and inept as to be completely flawed. If any proof were needed: no crucial DNA was presented as evidence at the trial. Nothing from Hannah or her clothes. Worse than a travesty. All RTP involved in the cover-up should be severely disciplined: heavy fines and serious prison time.

All very true.

Their only hope of freedom is a Royal Pardon many years down the line.

Face is No1 in Thailand, and when the Leader of the Country and Chief of Police and publicly praised this case and welcomed the verdict, IT WILL NEVER BE OVERTURNED, even if evidence was found that proved the Burmese did not do it.

Meanwhile the streets and beaches of Koh Tao, murders and rapists walk freely looking for their next victims.

SICK !

It won't be too long before a certain Thai man once again looses control and another young person will die in the Sairee Beach area.