Bangkok police seize contraband 'Luk Thep' child spirit dolls

webfact

Police Seize Contraband Child Spirit Dolls
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen
Staff Reporter

14538033411453803372l.jpg
150 illegally imported haunted spirit dolls known as ‘Luk Thep’ are displayed Tuesday by police in Bangkok.

BANGKOK — A haul of strange looking dolls was shown off by police today as the latest evidence of public obsession over a kind of haunted spirit doll.

Police were dispatched to inspect shops selling Luk Thep in Bangkok’s largest wholesale markets Tuesday, where they confiscated 150 dolls from their sellers for smuggling them into Thailand without paying duties.

Inspired by the latest obsessive trend, police were sent to markets in the Sampeng and Wang Burapa areas, as well as some shops in the capital’s Bang Khae district. The 150 dolls were seized from vendors who failed to show proper tax documents and taken to the police station.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1453803341&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-01-27

Police raid stores selling Luk Thep dolls suspected to be contraband goods

Y2Gcr7FmYarLhDwlFWUxaxADGyMM1UsN05j5hLDg

BANGKOK: -- Police from the Central Investigation Bureau raided several shops in Sampeng, Wang Burapha and Bang Khae business districts believed to be major markets for Angel Child dolls or Luk Thep – the latest trendy toy among many Thais who believe in superstition.

The raid was ordered by Pol Lt-Gen Thitirath Nongharnpitak, commissioner of the CIB, after several leading government figures including Justice Minister Paiboon Kumchaya and the national police chief had expressed concern with the popularity of the dolls to the extent that some criminal elements may use the dolls to smuggle drugs.

Over 100 dolls were seized after the store owners failed to produce documents to show that they were properly imported. Police said failure to produce the evidences could land the owners to imprisonment up to five years and a huge fine on smuggling charges.

The imported dolls are priced at between 500-5,000 baht. But the ones blessed by monks will cost an extra 500 baht.

The Luk Thep dolls are said to have brought good luck and fortunes to several owners.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/148250

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-01-27

A mate of mine managed to pick up a Pangolin and some rare blue spiders from an open market in Bangkok. Add to that the amount of ivory that leaves here and youd assume the muppets would have more pressing things to look for other than Chuckie and co.

I wonder if the dolls sulk when they don't get what they want or lose face if you expose their faults.

What will they do with them now?? Will they destroy them as any civilised country would do or,, maybe the senior police's Mia noi's need one !!

Can't destroy them otherwise all those spirits inside will put a curse on all those who light the fire.....this is what the gullible Thai's will believe.

Most likely they will end up on the sales stalls of people related to Policemen !

I feel really sorry for those police who are trapped in the police station with those cute little dolls! Can't imagine the chaos 150 angry children's souls would cause if they are aware they will never find a person to love and care for them. Next week expect news about Monks being called in to bless and calm those angry spirits.

A mate of mine managed to pick up a Pangolin and some rare blue spiders from an open market in Bangkok. Add to that the amount of ivory that leaves here and youd assume the muppets would have more pressing things to look for other than Chuckie and co.

I wonder if the dolls sulk when they don't get what they want or lose face if you expose their faults.

Ivory is still legal to trade in Thailand as long as it's either old or domestic (from domesticated Thai elephants) ivory.

Much of that is sold as ivory in tourist areas is actually either teeth, bone or resin so you need to look and test to be sure that it's actually ivory. One thing they do to the make either teeth or imported (illegal) ivory carvings look as old ivory is to boil them in oil and thereby give the material a patina.

BTW. They have already arrested one drug smuggler with 200 yabaa pills in one of these dolls.

Is there something else we should be paying attention to? ... because this whole doll thing is one stupid distraction.

Just show a screening of Chucky movies.

It'd be a hundred YEARS before the superstitious Thai's ever bought another doll if they'd seen Chucky. Problem solved.

This whole doll thing is creeping me out.

chucky-124140.jpg

"Prices start from 3,500 baht ($97) but can go up to as high as 13,000 baht ($362) for the limited edition dolls imported from the United States."

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/01/26/aviation/thai-smile-airways-luk-thep-doll/index.html

How to make some money off this....

Find out who the Luk Thep manufacturer is.

Short sell their stock and start posting Chucky on all the popular Thai FB pages and forums.

Add in a Youtube video of an Asian guy posing as a Monk putting a curse on Luk Thep dolls, urging them to become Chucky.

Add in an astrologer who predicts the date all Luk Thep dolls will come to life and murder their owners.

Short sell the day before the astrolger's announcement.

Sales of this fad doll would drop to ZERO posthaste.

If you don't know what short selling a stock is, odds are, you own a Luk Thep doll.

Edited by jaywalker

whistling.gif As I reported in another forum post topic regarding this....

The real reason these dolls were seized is that a similar doll was found at the airport in Chiang Mai filled with 400 Meth tablets stashed in it.

The doll was apparently to be used to smuggle the drugs in or out of Thailand....but for some reason it was abandoned in a suitcase in the Chiang Mai airport parking lot.

Police doing an investigation of the suitcase left behind in the airport parking area found the drugs in the doll on opening the suitcase for a security investigation.

Probably will see the story in tomorrow's news.

As I said before, I would bet my life these silly things

are made in China and imported here. So how can

they possibly have a soul ?????

Tell that to those still rubbing barks of trees for lucky lottery numbers...

I have photos of this I took some years ago of crowds rubbing talcum powder on the bark of a tree near Nong Nooch Gardern's (Chonburi Province).

I thought it odd, it certainly made good photographs, and as you suggest an insight into the superstitions of the local people.

Superstitions that where 'black catted' by the local underground lottery dons who, believing they were loosing money, burned down the tree.

I can understand people getting images and statues of Buddha or Guan Yin blessed by monks, to 'turn it on', for want of a better term. Same perhaps, with priests blessing crucifixes. But 'Buddhist' monks blessing dolls with 'other-worldly spirits'? That's not Buddhism at all. Maybe Taoism, but I'm quite sure it's not an actual Buddhist practice.

Any Buddhism experts here in TVF who can clarify this?

I can understand people getting images and statues of Buddha or Guan Yin blessed by monks, to 'turn it on', for want of a better term. Same perhaps, with priests blessing crucifixes. But 'Buddhist' monks blessing dolls with 'other-worldly spirits'? That's not Buddhism at all. Maybe Taoism, but I'm quite sure it's not an actual Buddhist practice.

Any Buddhism experts here in TVF who can clarify this?

No expert, but Thai's will say 'rote dang' = 'car red' instead of 'red car'. They do the same in Spanish.

So instead of saying Synthesized Buddhism, which is what I'd call this, I will just say it backwards = B.S.