Netanyahu says UN chief Ban Ki-moon 'encouraging terror'

webfact

I agree neither side is really serious about a two state solution now but I think the characterization of the reasons it can't work for Israel given above is very simplistic and incomplete. The settlements are a barrier but the biggest barrier is SECURITY. The majority of Israelis, and rightly so, question the wisdom of empowering a militant state dedicated to their non-existence. So the status quo is not great, that's for sure, but to the majority of Israelis it seems the best of some bad choices, and I think they're making a reasonable decision given their neighborhood. Not talking about settlement policy here, that's not the same thing, talking about the lack of political will towards a two state solution. Sure, building more settlements is a SYMPTOM of this lack of political will but if there was that political will, the settlement issue COULD be ... settled.

Simple...dont empower a militant state. Insist on checks and balances in a final peace agreement. Israeli/US/NATO/EU/UN/joint Palestinian troops manning most borders; demilitarized population; arms amnesty followed by harsh penalties, a lightly armed police force like Costa Rica; zero unemployment due to reconstruction..no idle hands to make mischief, huge influx of compensation funds to finance new business and housing for Palestinina and Jewish refugees. Those are just a few off the top of my head. It's been achieved before in Europe. It aint going to happen overnight. As peace, trust and incredible prosperity in symbiosis are ratcheted up over the decades, strict security measures would figure less.

Edited by dexterm

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree neither side is really serious about a two state solution now but I think the characterization of the reasons it can't work for Israel given above is very simplistic and incomplete. The settlements are a barrier but the biggest barrier is SECURITY. The majority of Israelis, and rightly so, question the wisdom of empowering a militant state dedicated to their non-existence. So the status quo is not great, that's for sure, but to the majority of Israelis it seems the best of some bad choices, and I think they're making a reasonable decision given their neighborhood. Not talking about settlement policy here, that's not the same thing, talking about the lack of political will towards a two state solution.

Simplistic of course, it would lead to many pages of writing for a complete analysis. But incomplete where you give the reason 'security' seems strange to me since fear for Palestinians was mentioned.

Please quote posts you are referring to.

I find your post incoherent thus can't respond to it.

Thanks for quoting, now we know who you're addressing.

I'll explain to you so also you understand. You claimed my assessment was incomplete because I did not mention SECURITY. Your claim is not correct since I mentioned as one of the reasons Israel does not want a two state solution "their fears of the Palestinians".

Aha. So you did. In the current environment, the knife intifada, even most of the more leftist Israeli politicians know now isn't the right time.

The right time has passed already many years ago. Now Israel will be forced into something.

Aha. So you did. In the current environment, the knife intifada, even most of the more leftist Israeli politicians know now isn't the right time.

The right time has passed already many years ago. Now Israel will be forced into something.

Everyone's a psychic and thinks they know what's going to happen there. But they don't. Israel has a lot of strengths and has more friends in the world than many people understand about. No, of course not the loony tunes Islamist leftist coalition of genocidal "River to the Sea" Israel demonizer chanters, that crew of obsessive haters is here to stay.

Edited by Jingthing

By who exactly? Netanyahu stated in a recent speech that he wished European nations would treat Israel as the Arab states now do. In case it escaped you Israel has made peace with much of the Arab world, formal recognition of this is of course tricky but Sudan just announced they were considering commencing diplomatic relations with Israel. It will be ironic that the BDS movement and western leftists will soon be exposed as the bigoted hypocrites that they are.

By who exactly? Netanyahu stated in a recent speech that he wished European nations would treat Israel as the Arab states now do. In case it escaped you Israel has made peace with much of the Arab world, formal recognition of this is of course tricky but Sudan just announced they were considering commencing diplomatic relations with Israel. It will be ironic that the BDS movement and western leftists will soon be exposed as the bigoted hypocrites that they are.

Peace with 2 of Israel's neighbours came after billions of dollars were promised and paid by the US. Recognition will never come until Israel's Apartheid regime actually wants to resolve the Palestinian problem.

There are solutions on the table but actually getting negotiations started is only one of the problems.

Oh and how would Israel deal with Sudan's leadership in the extremely unlikely case that Sudan went against the Arab League? Still I suppose Netanyahu would find common ground with Omar Al-Bashir's genocidial tendencies but probably not with seeing his country actually allowing the breakaway South Sudan.

Edited by khunken

Peace with 2 of Israel's neighbours came after billions of dollars were promised and paid by the US. Recognition will never come until Israel's Apartheid regime actually wants to resolve the Palestinian problem.

There are solutions on the table but actually getting negotiations started is only one of the problems.

Oh and how would Israel deal with Sudan's leadership in the extremely unlikely case that Sudan went against the Arab League? Still I suppose Netanyahu would find common ground with Omar Al-Bashir's genocidial tendencies but probably not with seeing his country actually allowing the breakaway South Sudan.

You lost me at calling Israel an apartheid regime. There is no conversation possible when people use such distorted inflammatory rhetoric. I guess it's a real surprise to the 20 percent of Israeli citizens that are Arab that they live under apartheid.

You lost me at calling Israel an apartheid regime. There is no conversation possible when people use such distorted inflammatory rhetoric. I guess it's a real surprise to the 20 percent of Israeli citizens that are Arab that they live under apartheid.

Apartheid is the governing 'philosophy' of the israeli regime in the Palestinian territories (what's left of them). Detention without trial, military courts, housing destroyed - all applying to Palestinians but not Israelis, especially the thugs & killers in the settlements. Perfect example of Apartheid, even without mentioning the Bantustanian of Palestinian communities & land by the wall.

Your attempted deflection doesn't work.

You have issues with Israeli government policy in the west bank. So do I and I'm sure so do many Israelis. But it's a far cry from that to the Israel demonization rhetoric "apartheid regime" "racist" "worse than Nazis" "colonialist" we've all heard 1000s of times that only serves to foment more hatred.

You know, a message to those who insist on hurling endless toxic Israel demonization rhetoric with no consideration of the POV of Israel, you might be surprised how REASONABLE a large portion of people who support the existence and defense of Israel really are. For example, on "occupation" of the west bank, a very significant percentage of both Israeli and global Jews oppose that and favor good faith efforts on BOTH sides to find a solution. But demonizing Israel, demonizing Jews, demonizing Zionism, is not going to get anywhere, in fact the opposite, it drives people MORE to the right.

Edited by Jingthing

You have issues with Israeli government policy in the west bank. So do I and I'm sure so do many Israelis. But it's a far cry from that to the Israel demonization rhetoric "apartheid regime" "racist" "worse than Nazis" "colonialist" we've all heard 1000s of times that only serves to foment more hatred.

I'll stick to supremacist & Apartheid as the former use the latter. There is much hatred on both sides and using correct terms on TV will hardly make a difference.

I'll stick to supremacist & Apartheid as the former use the latter. There is much hatred on both sides and using correct terms on TV will hardly make a difference.

No surprise. So what do you call the "No Jews" intention of the Palestinian leadership? You're obviously not interested in an actual conversion. Only the usual propaganda to try to sell others on the obsessive demonization ideology. Ignore list time.

No surprise. So what do you call the "No Jews" intention of the Palestinian leadership? You're obviously not interested in an actual conversion. Only the usual propaganda to try to sell others on the obsessive demonization ideology. Ignore list time.

Having a sensible conversation with an avowed Zionist is next to impossible. Good - I hope you do ignore me as then my posts won't be subject to your propaganda.

The UN Secretary General is absolutely correct, and Netanyahu's petulant and inflammatory response illustrates to the world that he's morally and ethically bankrupt.

Furthermore, the geographic region currently referred to as Israel is undeniably an Apartheid regime. There are two legal systems: one for Israelis and another for Palestinians.

That news story is a lie.

The majority of Palestinians want the Jews out of all of Israel.

The settlements in the west bank aren't helpful, but leaving them won't bring peace any more than leaving Gaza brought peace. The Hamas government in Gaza is more honest about this, their charter has clear genocidal intentions towards Jews. No they don't have the capability for that. That's the idea ... don't let them ever get that capability.

Go to any Israel demonization protest anywhere these days and what chant will you hear:

Free Palestine, from the river to the sea.

They know what they're chanting. That's a chant of pro genocide towards Jews, of the end the end of Israel, an Israel with no Jews.

While Israel does include 20 percent Arab citizens, Palestinian leaders have been very clear about their intentions for their state: NO JEWS.

So river to the sea, that's genocide.

It's impossible to separate the Israel demonization movement from racist hatred of Jews ... they are joined at the hip.

Which story is a lie? The OP? Whatever, it's quite a claim, and one that you back only with opinion.

The majority of Palestinians want an end to the occupation of their land and cessation of continued land theft. THAT is inarguable.

Leaving Gaza didn't bring peace because Israel didn't stop occupying it!!! By legal definition, it maintained it's occupation by it's blockade. Stop with the strawman silliness and the ingenuous deflection.

"River to the sea" I believe is a quote from the Likud charter, referring to the Jordan River ..... which is not quite as drastic as the original Zionist "river" being the Euphrates!!!

OF COURSE it's possible to separate racism from Israel criticism! What a hateful and odious accusation! You are implying that I, and many members here are racist. Quit with that nastiness, please. You have been warned before.

{snipped due to constraints}

If Palestinians, at the point of a gun, are subjected to an entirely different "justice" system than Jews living in the same neighbourhood...is that not apartheid?

You know, a message to those who insist on hurling endless toxic Israel demonization rhetoric with no consideration of the POV of Israel, you might be surprised how REASONABLE a large portion of people who support the existence and defense of Israel really are. For example, on "occupation" of the west bank, a very significant percentage of both Israeli and global Jews oppose that and favor good faith efforts on BOTH sides to find a solution. But demonizing Israel, demonizing Jews, demonizing Zionism, is not going to get anywhere, in fact the opposite, it drives people MORE to the right.

If Israel is a democracy (as you claim) and if so many Israelis don't agree with the settlements, then why is the Israeli government still actively promoting settlements?

If Israel is a democracy, then the electorate is to blame for Israel government decisions.

Your silly claim that criticising Israel's horrendous approach drives people further to the right is the same as a wife beater saying criticising him drives him to more violence against his innocent wife.

It may be true that it does drive him to that, but it's an atrocious attitude by the wife-beater, and NO EXCUSE whatsoever to increase the violence!

Having a sensible conversation with an avowed Zionist is next to impossible. Good - I hope you do ignore me as then my posts won't be subject to your propaganda.

You will be subject to the propaganda, regardless...even more so, because a drama queen someone sticking his fingers in his ears and continuing to bleat his rhetoric will never even consider any valid arguments against his personal one.

Don't let facts get in the way of your usual 24/7 ranting. More settlements were built under Sharon, Barak and Olmert than under Netanyahu. Justifications for Arab terrorism have always been based on disingenuous nonsense rather than face the fact they want Israel gone period and never wanted a two state solution in the first place.

http://m.jpost.com/Israel-News/Politics-And-Diplomacy/Olmert-Sharon-and-Barak-built-more-in-settlements-than-I-did-Netanyahu-says-42749

Sorry about thatwai.gif

Edited by TuskegeeBen

FYI ~ Sigh! whistling.gif First, the Palestinians are not Arabs. Secondly, a huge majority of Palestinians are (in fact) Coptic Christians, not Muslims. Thirdly, the Jewish people (Sabra included) are not Semites, thus, the mental states of being either anti-Semitic, or anti-Jewish are not synonymous coffee1.gif

Edited by TuskegeeBen

The Arab league is no longer a united front. Aside from Egypt and Jordan Israel has come to de-facto agreements with Saudi Arabia, and much of the GCC. Aside from Sudan there is also Azerbaijan. The Palestinians are increasingly viewed as the attention seeking fanatical trouble makers they are.

It's all part of Israel. 1 state not 2. Either the separationist Palestinians get on board and become part of the solution rather than continue being the problem.

Israel doesn't want 1 state, otherwise in 2 generations there will be more arabs than jews...and Bibi is quite afraid of that.

Now to have two states you also need to stop stealing the land and settle, and encourage settlements and continue to think you can do that without any problems from the other side.

The fact that so many people criticize Israel is because, as they repeat, they are a democracy and therefore have to power to elect a government which will stop those settlements and land stealing...so far it didn't happen

The voice of the people in a democracy at work. Like I said there is only 1 state.

Do you think that Thailand will let the southern part sucede just because they want to?

Thailand and Israel are completely differents situations

Not so different but you can have your opinion.

The settlements in the west bank aren't helpful, but leaving them won't bring peace any more than leaving Gaza brought peace. The Hamas government in Gaza is more honest about this, their charter has clear genocidal intentions towards Jews. No they don't have the capability for that. That's the idea ... don't let them ever get that capability.

Go to any Israel demonization protest anywhere these days and what chant will you hear:

They know what they're chanting. That's a chant of pro genocide towards Jews, of the end the end of Israel, an Israel with no Jews.

While Israel does include 20 percent Arab citizens, Palestinian leaders have been very clear about their intentions for their state: NO JEWS.

It's impossible to separate the Israel demonization movement from racist hatred of Jews ... they are joined at the hip.

Which story is a lie? The OP? Whatever, it's quite a claim, and one that you back only with opinion.

The majority of Palestinians want an end to the occupation of their land and cessation of continued land theft. THAT is inarguable.

Leaving Gaza didn't bring peace because Israel didn't stop occupying it!!! By legal definition, it maintained it's occupation by it's blockade. Stop with the strawman silliness and the ingenuous deflection.

"River to the sea" I believe is a quote from the Likud charter, referring to the Jordan River ..... which is not quite as drastic as the original Zionist "river" being the Euphrates!!!

OF COURSE it's possible to separate racism from Israel criticism! What a hateful and odious accusation! You are implying that I, and many members here are racist. Quit with that nastiness, please. You have been warned before.

It not their land. It's Israel.

The problem for Israel is that most sane people, many world leaders such as Ban ki Moon, the Swedish and American ambassadors to Israel and the majority of the world's countries can now see through the great Israeli hoax: that they play the victim when they are in fact the aggressor.

The conflict is perpetuated by a hardcore of fanatical Zionists and nutjob US Evangelicals who believe that a popular work of fiction,the bible, is some sort of real estate title deed and refuse to join the 21st century. They are doing the future of Israel a great disservice.

Edited by dexterm

The problem for Israel is that most sane people, many world leaders such as Ban ki Moon, the Swedish and American ambassadors to Israel and the majority of the world's countries can now see through the great Israeli hoax: that they play the victim when they are in fact the aggressor.

The conflict is perpetuated by a hardcore of fanatical Zionists and nutjob US Evangelicals who believe that a popular work of fiction,the bible, is some sort of real estate title deed and refuse to join the 21st century. They are doing the future of Israel a great disservice.

Excellent post.

It's remarkable how the plain truth can make propaganda look so devious.

If this was not Israel land then the world would be calling it an invasion. Like Russia taking over parts of the Ukraine.

No one in the entire eorld is calling this an invasion because it's not. It's Israel building new homes on Israel land.

The Arab league is no longer a united front. Aside from Egypt and Jordan Israel has come to de-facto agreements with Saudi Arabia, and much of the GCC. Aside from Sudan there is also Azerbaijan. The Palestinians are increasingly viewed as the attention seeking fanatical trouble makers they are.

Au contraire, Israel is and has been losing support all over the world in the last 20 years or so.

If this was not Israel land then the world would be calling it an invasion. Like Russia taking over parts of the Ukraine.

No one in the entire eorld is calling this an invasion because it's not. It's Israel building new homes on Israel land.

It is occupied land, not Israeli land.

Sorry thread full,
MadDog wrote..
Ban Ki Moon is..
"Ban went on to say that Palestinian frustration is growing and that, "as oppressed peoples have demonstrated throughout the ages, it is human nature to react to occupation,"
If it's Israeli land could you please tell us where Israel's borders are or a single country in the world (other than Israel) that recognizes Israeli ownership of the West Bank.