Criminal Record

Dear all

I have the possible intention to apply for Thai permanent residence in future. Problem is that I have a record of being sentenced to a fine in my own country for being absent without official leave for a number of days when I was serving as a conscript. I have already competed the conscript term and paid the fine.

When I apply for Thai permanet residence and citizenship, would they want a certificate of no criminal record from my home country and if they do, would it affect my application if I have been known to have committed the above offence.

Thanks a lot and happy Sonkran!!!

By the way,

Is the Thai permanent residence permanent for life or does it have a specific validity before I have to re apply again?

Would a person on a work permit stand a higher chance of getting Thai permanent residence than someone who has been here on a Non-O 1 year visa.

What are my chances of getting the permanent residence after being here on a Non-O 1 year visa for 3 years?

I heard that come this June, there is a minimum income criteria for all foreigners working here. Does that mean that all legal English teachers could see their salary go up. I am aware that some of them earn about 30k baht/month now, but if the law states that persons of a their nationality have to hit 45k baht/month, does that mean that they will all get a 15k pay increase, or will many be laid off. Would it be more difficult for non-native speakers like me to secure employment after the law takes effect?

Thanks a lot!!!!

By the way,

Is the Thai permanent residence permanent for life or does it have a specific validity before I have to re apply again?

Would a person on a work permit stand a higher chance of getting Thai permanent residence than someone who has been here on a Non-O 1 year visa.

What are my chances of getting the permanent residence after being here on a Non-O 1 year visa for 3 years?

I heard that come this June, there is a minimum income criteria for all foreigners working here. Does that mean that all legal English teachers could see their salary go up. I am aware that some of them earn about 30k baht/month now, but if the law states that persons of a their nationality have to hit 45k baht/month, does that mean that they will all get a 15k pay increase, or will many be laid off. Would it be more difficult for non-native speakers like me to secure employment after the law takes effect?

Thanks a lot!!!!

The increase in wage is soon to be law, but as in many cases it means that wages will double, with massive increases in costs to students. That may well mean that some schools will close or reduce classes, or Thai students will drop out altogether. It is hard to predict, but it will cause big problems.

I cannot advise you about police clearances. Some countries categorize relatively minor offenses as spent offenses, and don't show them in a clearance, but that varies from country to country.

If you have been in Thailand for three consecutive years on a long stay visa, that by regulation but not practice, requires a criminal clearance, it would seem to me that you would be de facto "grandfathered" as to the clearance, if in fact the regs say you need one. I was not aware of a clearance requirement, but it has been some time since I read the regs on permanent residency.