EC introduces strategy boosting number of voters

snoop1130

EC introduces strategy boosting number of voters
NNT News

BANGKOK, 27 January 2016 (NNT) – The Office of the Election Commission (EC) has announced the new three-phase strategy to raise voter turnout for the public referendum on the draft constitution, with a goal of 75-80% participation.

A senior EC member, Tanith Sriprateth, revealed that the election body has approved the new strategy for referendum preparations this year and to establish a coordination center to ensure public convenience and fair voting.

The new strategy will be divided into three phases. The first phase starting in January promotes public awareness of the importance of the referendum. The second phase includes publicizing the draft charter. The final phase informs the people of the referendum's procedures, dates, and times, while giving a balanced presentation of opinions from both sides, in favor and opposed to the draft constitution.

The EC expects its new strategy will bring out 75-80% of eligible voters. Mr Tanith said its budget to organize the referendum is being considered, pending the resolution of legal appointments and external sponsorship.

The EC also submitted its suggestions to the Cabinet regarding potential obstacles to the referendum, to ensure that voting takes place in an orderly manner.

Source: http://thainews.prd.go.th/website_en/news/news_detail/WNPOL5901270010003

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-01-27 footer_n.gif

I strongly disagree with the EC plan to present pro and con opinions on any ballot measure. They should be publicizing facts only.

I agree.

And I suspect that this is part of the EC's official plan so that any and all opinions which are against the proposed constitution can be squashed as "distortion" and "creating confusion".

Just a hunch... coffee1.gif

"while giving a balanced presentation of opinions from both sides, in favor and opposed to the draft constitution."

I thought that was the job of the media. Almost forgot, they have received Acedemic Adjustment and forced to sign agreement not to argue against anything the junta does.

"while giving a balanced presentation of opinions from both sides, in favor and opposed to the draft constitution."

I thought that was the job of the media. Almost forgot, they have received Acedemic Adjustment and forced to sign agreement not to argue against anything the junta does.

How do you think this information will be disseminated except through the media? Do you really think there will be no discussion of the proposals in editorials and opinion pieces, or a ban on criticism when pro- and anti- views are being publicised, or just taking your standard negative stance?

How do you think this information will be disseminated except through the media? Do you really think there will be no discussion of the proposals in editorials and opinion pieces, or a ban on criticism when pro- and anti- views are being publicised, or just taking your standard negative stance?

They could errr, publish the draft charter on a website so people could read it, what they read being the 'facts" and the citizens could form their own opinions.

I strongly disagree with the EC plan to present pro and con opinions on any ballot measure. They should be publicizing facts only.

Really? And who decides what is a "fact" and what is opinion?

We're talking about the content of a written document, the proposed Charter. It's not rocket science.

I agree.

And I suspect that this is part of the EC's official plan so that any and all opinions which are against the proposed constitution can be squashed as "distortion" and "creating confusion".

Just a hunch... coffee1.gif

Aren't the facts on peoples opinions a resume of opinions in a condensed format? Nicely grouped and put in a colourful pie chart for easy understanding?

Really? And who decides what is a "fact" and what is opinion?

We're talking about the content of a written document, the proposed Charter. It's not rocket science.

You were talking about 'pro/con opinions on any ballot measure'. That is not the same as 'content of a written document, the proposed charter'