Voa Bangkok Airport

I arrived today from Australia on an Australian passport and my passport was stamped and then a green highlighter was used on a part of the stamp

There was also a little bit of paper that stated i couldn't spend more than 90 days in any six month period in Thailand on this type of visa.

I arrived today from Australia on an Australian passport and my passport was stamped and then a green highlighter was used on a part of the stamp

There was also a little bit of paper that stated i couldn't spend more than 90 days in any six month period in Thailand on this type of visa.

You are the first one to report this, I believe. Nice to see that Immigration makes an effort to communicate this new rule in writing.

--------------

Maestro

Maybe someone enforces the use of exact abreviations when posting in this forum like

VER Visa Exemption Rule

VOA Visa On Arrival Rule

after reading in the Hull Royal Thai Consulate

The problem is that Immigration officials themselves have been quoted in news reports as referring to the visa-exempt entry stamp as a visa on arrival. In a situation like this, who is ThaiVisa to try and enforce rules of its own or abbreviations created by an honorary consulate in England? Anyone trying to do that would go crazy. Just look at all the different things posters mean when they say “visa run”!

--------------

Maestro

I wonder how many Thaivisa members (or readers come to that) have ever obtained a 'Visa On Arrival'? :o

Very few, if any, would be my guess.

That said, I think the point is that using an incorrect term (despite having it pointed out ad nauseam on this Forum) can add to the ever-increasing confusion encountered by some.

It is telling that even some seasoned posters here seem unable to grasp such a simple concept... :D

I suspect you do not have any visa but a 30 day permitted to stay stamp from a visa exempt entry? If so that is the rule from October 1st. Thanks for the report. It is good they are alerting travelers of the limit.

Yes that is correct....it was an itty bitty scrap of paper and could easily have been lost and it didn't look very official as it had no letterhead or signature....basically a tiny scrap of paper.

I still don't see how this is going to be enforceable on the departure end. Comments

I suspect you do not have any visa but a 30 day permitted to stay stamp from a visa exempt entry? If so that is the rule from October 1st. Thanks for the report. It is good they are alerting travelers of the limit.

Yes that is correct....it was an itty bitty scrap of paper and could easily have been lost and it didn't look very official as it had no letterhead or signature....basically a tiny scrap of paper.

I still don't see how this is going to be enforceable on the departure end. Comments

This 90 days in a 6 month period won't need to be enforced "on the departure end." It'll be enforced when a person who's already used up their 90 day quota tries to enter, and they'll be turned around, denied entry. Complaints won't be heard by Immigration as they'll just tell the person that's the rule, you should have know it. Sorry.

It'll also be interesting for the air carrier who brought this person in, and was denied entry. The air carrier will be responsible to take them out again. Wonder if the air carrier ticket agents are going to have to start counting up days now???

This is sort of like the 90-day reporting requirement for folks on a retirement, marriage, or work related one year extention of their Non-O or whatever visa. Many expats claim not to know of this requirement but it is in the Immigration law. Perhaps easier these days to claim ignorance (no excuse, tho) since there doesn't seem to be a notice at the airport(s) about the requirement to report. At least on the old style Departure card that you maintained in your passport, this was Item #5, no excuse....

Mac

Got back from Malaysia last night, my visit to the Thai Embassy was extended by one day as i had to have docs faxed from the Thai company, no problem, went to Air Asia to try and change ticket to the next day, could not do that so went to a travel agents to purchase a one way ticket back to BKK and they refused to sell it without seeing my ticket out of thailand. Out of curiosity, I told them that i did not have one, they did not budge, no rule quoting, I would not have got a ticket without a valid ticket out of Thailand.

Hope this is helpfull.

This 90 days in a 6 month period won't need to be enforced "on the departure end." It'll be enforced when a person who's already used up their 90 day quota tries to enter, and they'll be turned around, denied entry. Complaints won't be heard by Immigration as they'll just tell the person that's the rule, you should have know it. Sorry.

It'll also be interesting for the air carrier who brought this person in, and was denied entry. The air carrier will be responsible to take them out again. Wonder if the air carrier ticket agents are going to have to start counting up days now???

This is sort of like the 90-day reporting requirement for folks on a retirement, marriage, or work related one year extention of their Non-O or whatever visa. Many expats claim not to know of this requirement but it is in the Immigration law. Perhaps easier these days to claim ignorance (no excuse, tho) since there doesn't seem to be a notice at the airport(s) about the requirement to report. At least on the old style Departure card that you maintained in your passport, this was Item #5, no excuse....

Mac

Yesterday(10/25) I just made my fourth entry into thailand on the 30 day visa exempt from 4 days trip to Tokyo since oct 1. I still do not have the highlghter on my entry stamp as other member has reprted. Still all my 4 entry stamps look the same as old ones except 2 times they wrote w30 on the stamps, and also look closely the stamps have the new name of the airport, thats it. Also I do not get any note saying the 90/180 day new rule in all my four entries. So just to update the inconsistency in immigration staff at the airport BKK.