Fourteen dead as cold snap hits Thailand

webfact

Fourteen dead as cold snap hits Thailand

At least 14 people have died in Thailand from a cold snap that has hit the country.

BANGKOK: -- At least 14 people have died in Thailand as cold weather grips the country.

The deaths were caused either by exposure or respiratory illnesses, the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) said.

A cold front has swept through Thailand, sending temperatures below 5C in some areas.

In northern Nan province, which typically has hot and dry winters with temperatures near 37C, the mercury fell below 10C on Wednesday.

Full story: http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/01/27/fourteen-dead-cold-snap-hits-thailand

-- SBS NEWS 2016-01-28

There was a similar post a couple days ago. From the individual accounts they were often quite old or already in poor health and almost all of them had been drinking alcohol. Seems like cold weather was the scapegoat of choice for the deaths. On the other hand, the news story about the farang that died yesterday was pretty certain he just drank himself to death. Always fair and balanced reporting here in Thailand.

It's sure sad that people are dying of the cooler temperatures but it's also sad to see parents sending their kids to school with no coat or jacket, no hat or gloves just their usual school uniform.

I'm seeing it daily at our local schools and it amazes me.

More than that have died in just two Villages near us. Many Thai men mistakenly believe that if they drink more alcohol it will warm them up when they go to bed....result death !

When it comes to facts and figures you can rely on the Thai's to cook the books every time.

certainly was bitterly cold in fang where it rained for 2 days. it was bitter in the wet air that hung around from the mountains. the steel roof sections have been making scary BANGING noises all day and night too as they contract.

dorris said it was a door banging in the wind.....there is no wind.

A minor hiccup in the global warming process according to Al Gore.

I really doubt that Al Gore even noticed the cold weather in Southeast Asia, but I think he is smart enough to understand the difference between weather events and the warming trend in the global climate.