Bliss Hotel Floor Tile Nightmare

larrychiangmai

Anyone experience this at their apartment building?

During the recent cold snap, floor tiles started popping up all over my apartment building.

The apartment has to replace titles on most floors in the lobby areas, not to mention rooms.

It also makes walking a bit "dicey" at night as the tiles continue to pop up in unexpected places, so you have to remind yourself to look down so you don't trip and fall (like right outside my apartment door with about another meter to go before taking a "header" over a low balcony railing).

It seems like if one doesn't do the Khmer Shuffle, when they walk, a missing 4 mm thick piece of tile wouldn't create too much of a problem. Mine started coming up two weeks ago. The tile man finished today on complete new tile. The old was 28 yo, so while certainly not what the Sgermans could do for 12 times more money; that is really pretty good. I actually thought that electrical current pooling on the floor had something to do with it.

Have not had problems with wall or floor tiles as yet but what did happen was equally as strange.

Our wooden window frames expanded and bowed out of shape. Could not shut our windows. Mirrors that are screwed onto the inside of the wardrobe doors cracked and glass on our picture frames also cracked. We could hear the picture frame glass cracking up as if being under pressure. Our Toilet cistern tank cracked open from top to bottom at it`s front centre. Luckily we have two toilets. Never before experienced anything like this.

Have not had problems with wall or floor tiles as yet but what did happen was equally as strange.

Our wooden window frames expanded and bowed out of shape. Could not shut our windows. Mirrors that are screwed onto the inside of the wardrobe doors cracked and glass on our picture frames also cracked. We could hear the picture frame glass cracking up as if being under pressure. Our Toilet cistern tank cracked open from top to bottom at it`s front centre. Luckily we have two toilets. Never before experienced anything like this.

It's ghosts - best get the monks round for a blessing ;)

Coincidentally this happened in our main bathroom, only yesterday evening.

There was a fairly-loud hissing/crackling noise, which at first I thought might be a split water-pipe under the floor, but I soon saw that the cause was several tiles forcing themselves up, and/or cracking !

A quick inspection of ceilings & walls in neighbouring rooms, and the main house-wall outside the bathroom, showed that this was confined to the floor of the one room, which reassured me that it wasn't structural, at least.

We did have a minor 1.6 Richter-scale tremor in San-Sai, some 48-hours earlier, but I don't think this was related. It wasn't even the coldest evening that we've had, over the past week ! No sign of sub-floor cracking underneath, or of water-penetration, which were other possibilities we considered.

By this morning an area of some three square meters appears to have de-laminated, which will mean that the whole floor needs to be stripped, and a new tile-floor laid, once the weather improves.

We consider ourselves lucky that it wasn't worse ! unsure.png

Is this due to lack of expansion joins/spaces or the underlying mortar used to fix them.

We have had no problems at all and have lots of tiling

I suspect a bit of both, the tiles appear to have been laid directly onto mortar, rather than using proper tile-cement as we would have in farangland.

We too have a lot of tiling, and have had no problems in over a decade, until this exceptionally-cold spell.

Is this due to lack of expansion joins/spaces or the underlying mortar used to fix them.

We have had no problems at all and have lots of tiling

I suspect a bit of both, the tiles appear to have been laid directly onto mortar, rather than using proper tile-cement as we would have in farangland.

We too have a lot of tiling, and have had no problems in over a decade, until this exceptionally-cold spell.

Over 200 sq m of floor tiling in our house. Plus bathroom walls. Perhaps I should go to bed with a crash helmet on sad.png

This topic reminds when a friend exported a whole load of bamboo candle holders to her home town in the Rockies. After a month or two in their dry climate, they started exploding , it was really loud noises too. She had "only" a couple of thousand of these things.blink.png

This topic reminds when a friend exported a whole load of bamboo candle holders to her home town in the Rockies. After a month or two in their dry climate, they started exploding , it was really loud noises too. She had "only" a couple of thousand of these things.blink.png

Yes, we had the same issue with a major piece of teak furniture we exported from Thailand during a visit as tourists in the 1970s. Amazingly, the piece -- an elaborate carved bar, came into the port of Detroit just like the Thai furniture maker said it would and somehow we were able to arrange for it to be delivered to our home in northern Michigan. But that winter, during the time when we heated the place with a wood stove and worked very hard to keep the humidity up to a tolerable level, the teak bar developed a major crack, right thru the dancing Thai monkey on the front panel.

I have a question for the people who are experiencing problems in their homes. Are they new homes?

Our big Thai teak bar developed the crack during its first Michigan winter. After that it was OK -- no more cracks. It was as if that first crack worked out all the stress in the wood. Unfortunately, it was a very noticeable crack.

I have a question for the people who are experiencing problems in their homes. Are they new homes?

Our big Thai teak bar developed the crack during its first Michigan winter. After that it was OK -- no more cracks. It was as if that first crack worked out all the stress in the wood. Unfortunately, it was a very noticeable crack.

There has been a wave of floor replacements in our 28 yo building. However, the common area tile is still original, with no pops. A warning to the fainthearted. It is a dusty, loud mess, and you will need to stay off it. You will not be able to find stuff, and you won't be able to access stuff....find a hotel room close by...The local Thai man charged me 135 thb psm for labor. I rode with him to Hang Dong and bought the materials on my CC. I had new a/c put in last week, and this was about 10 times more involved.