Farangs

pipchatel

I have been in Thailand Just three years. I support my wifes Parents, My wifes (now Mine) twin Daughters, and of course My lovely wife. So thats five Thai citizens

off the Back of the Government. In addition to that, I have been building a new house and been employing My wifes brothers, and freinds of theirs too.

The Question, just What are Us Farangs worth to Thailand! I would say, if I am typical of a farang coming to live here, we take away tens of thausands of Thai nationals away from the bread line and have improved their lives very much.

I dont know how many like me/us, so how much are we worth to Thailand?

Pip

what did the thai government provide this family of five ,before you came along ???? if the answer is nothing ,then there is no difference to the thai government . what are we worth to them in that situation = NOTHING !!!

sorry ,just re-read the question . what are we worth to thailand ?? economically ,quite a bit as a whole . but we are not saving the government a penny ,because the money to support these people would be coming from other sources if it wasnt coming from you . im not being nasty ,just realistic

this is such a loaded question.....

I would argue that a farang would be worth a whole lot more if somehow their presence in LOS somehow encouraged locals to get jobs, increase their skill base, be more productive, add value to the economy, pay taxes and generally create employment opportunities.

Not that I don't think you are not doing good, just that on balance, Thailand wants to encourage foreign investors who are going to help grow and diversify the Thai economy and employ lots of tax paying Thais while they are at it.

Thailand wants to encourage foreign investors who are going to help grow and diversify the Thai economy and employ lots of tax paying Thais while they are at it.

And how do they do that, Samran?

Did I miss something lately?

30% corporate tax, 15% withholding tax, restrictions on land ownership, visa restrictions,...And this has no relation at all to the number of people you employ or whatever good you do for Thailand,...

And how do they do that, Samran?

Did I miss something lately?

30% corporate tax, 15% withholding tax, restrictions on land ownership, visa restrictions,...And this has no relation at all to the number of people you employ or whatever good you do for Thailand,...

Bluecat, chill pill time mate.

As I said, it is a loaded question.

I called it the way I see it, meaning, BOI priveleges, forthcoming clauses in the Australian Thai FTA, etc.

Never said that the Thai govt made it easy for anyone, especially the little fella. but they do show a preference for certain types of investors.

As for taxes, we can compare and contrast with other countries until the cows come home....so I wont.

fini.

Samran, I was not trying to be aggressive in any way.

It is just that so far, at least, the Thai government is missing the point (or does not care,...)

Sure they have the BOI privileges but most countries have and believe me, China is giving us (foreign companies) FAR better privileges than Thailand gives us.

The reason we are here is because we have a good pool of hard working, smart and honest Thai people (I know a lot of farang will not agree with me but they probably have a very "limited" experience on the question).

Since you are half Thai, half farang, I am sure you understand. Thailand is nowhere where it could be with a more foreign friendly government,...

I have spent a lot of time in Thailand and allver Asia for the past 30 years.

Outside of my wife who appears to be devoted to me my conclusion is that my value as a farang is two fold.

#1 = Walking wallet, period.

#2 = There are a select few educated or business Thai people who like to socialize with me because I have been a successful physician. They seem to like conversing about the US and it kind of gives them some bigger face until they get too drunk to remember what it is I do... :o

I have been in Thailand Just three years. I support my wifes Parents, My wifes (now Mine) twin Daughters, and of course My lovely wife. So thats five Thai citizens

off the Back of the Government. In addition to that, I have been building a new house and been employing My wifes brothers, and freinds of theirs too.

The Question, just What are Us Farangs worth to Thailand! I would say, if I am typical of a farang coming to live here, we take away tens of thausands of Thai nationals away from the bread line and have improved their lives very much.

I dont know how many like me/us, so how much are we worth to Thailand?

Pip

Average annual spending by a farang living in Thailand = $25,000 USD

Domestic expenditure multiplier effect = 10 times ???

Estimated number of expat farang calling thailand home = 10,000

Gross domestic Spending = $250MM to the economy.

I think the farang are worth quite alot to the thai economy, altough many farang some of who are members here, seem to think we not worth anything to thailand

There are hundreds upon hundreds who move here get married build houses buy cars and bikes and support whole families, not to mention all those fools who live in their home countrys and send money to their girl friends, i would love to know the true dollar figure of what we farang bring into thailand,

Possom,

Please allow me to reiterate. My wife appears to be devoted to me. Money is not a factor. Her family in Bangkok has more property and all other assets than I will have in this life time.

Her family is very generous and supportive. On our last trip to Samutsakorn my mother in law gave me a gold chain probably about $1000 and a family heirloom stone Bhudda encased in gold to wear on it.

The Bhudda was appraised in Thailand and here in the US for approximately $25,000. I did not want to wear it as I was afraid to loose it. I was told it was important that I ware it by family and Bhuddist monks that are friends here.

So thanks but no thanks for your advice and I think I'll just stick to family. May be I should have been clearer that what I said applied to all others outside of my Thai Chinese family.

All the best... :o

Possom,

Please allow me to reiterate. My wife appears to be devoted to me. Money is not a factor. Her family in Bangkok has more property and all other assets than I will have in this life time.

Pepe, please. To excuse yourself is to accuse yourself,... :o

It is just that so far, at least, the Thai government is missing the point (or does not care,...)

Sure they have the BOI privileges but most countries have and believe me, China is giving us (foreign companies) FAR better privileges than Thailand gives us.

The reason we are here is because we have a good pool of hard working, smart and honest Thai people (I know a lot of farang will not agree with me but they probably have a very "limited" experience on the question).

Since you are half Thai, half farang, I am sure you understand. Thailand is nowhere where it could be with a more foreign friendly government,...

Totally agree actually.

Its a tough one trying to find a balance which makes everyone happy. One thing that people tend to forget is though once any type of reformist tries to open Thailand up, a million and one interest groups with all the xenaphobic "protecting national interest chants" come in and throw numerous spanners in the works.

Although I hate his guts most of the time, Dear Leader on this one has been trying to push ahead with FTA's wherever possible, opening the doors when he can. But I notice through the Thai media, the usual suspects - unions and academics - oppose any changes. While dear leader on one hand is raises the thai flag to placate the homefront, he still cant take a trick on the FTA issue.

If you are familiar with Australian politics, a parallel is John Howards (whos guts I also hate) beating up of the refugee issue, while quietly upping the migration intake to record levels, although the Aussie PM has been a bit more canny than dear leader. Its all politics unfortunately.

As has been said here already,,By feeding and supporting a Thai family,you have not taken any load off of the Thai govt.

Alto if you hadn't,then the family would not be living so well and eating so good, but sink or swim,the Thai govt. does not care and no welfare is given by the Thai govt.

That is one reason that the girls are sold for a dowry,and most BG work and send money home to help support the family,it seems like all over asia is the same,,the women carry the load of most of the work, and most asian males are to ###### lazy to be worth much,even if you can get them sober.

But it does seem like the Thai govt. would rather not have foreign businesses here, Not allowed to really own anything,including 100% of a company,land and homes,many restrictions, and China is more inclined to give breaks to large investors and the chinese are honest,hard working,friendly people and will work for less too.Plus that,their food is better than Thai and they drive on the correct side of the road and their road manners are a ###### of a lot better.

One thing that people tend to forget is though once any type of reformist tries to open Thailand up, a million and one interest groups with all the xenaphobic "protecting national interest chants" come in and throw numerous spanners in the works.

Although I hate his guts most of the time, Dear Leader on this one has been trying to push ahead with FTA's wherever possible, opening the doors when he can.

Its all politics unfortunately.

Is Thai Rak Thai name for a party rings a bell?

Talk about exploiting the Thai xenophobic "nature".

Good politics actually but good governance? :o

I guess guity as charged... :D

Reality is Farangs do enhance the bottom line of the Kingdom. If one looks at this question in a simplistic business way there are assets and liabilties. As far as the green orange or blue bottom line goes we are certainly an asset.

The sad thing is this fact will never be acknowledged by whoeverer it is that is supposed to ackowledge these kinds of things... :o

China is giving us (foreign companies) FAR better privileges than Thailand gives us.

Are you sure? Why aren't you living in China then?

I have visited Thailand more than China despite the fact that living in HK it is only half an hour train to it.

I have heard too many terrible stories referring to China and it is a place I really wouldn't want to touch. I have got friends who had lost hundreds of thousand dollars doing business due to the corrupt system.

For me, Thailand & China? No comparison! :o

I have heard too many terrible stories referring to China and it is a place I really wouldn't want to touch. I have got friends who had lost hundreds of thousand dollars doing business due to the corrupt system.

For me, Thailand & China? No comparison! :o

I agree it has been that way for a very, very long time but China is changing extremely fast.

In the economic zones, they give you a lot of privileges, being fiscal, loan arrangements,...while allowing you to own 100% of the company, no Chinese partner. You can export your product as well as sell it locally without any specific restrictions.

And the market is getting very, very receptive to foreign goods at what I would qualify as reasonable prices compared to before.

Making money in China is sure not easy but it sure is easier than it has ever been and sure not more difficult than it is in Thailand,...

Maybe on a "private" level, it is different, I don't know.

and China is more inclined to give breaks to large investors and the chinese are honest,hard working,friendly people and will work for less too.Plus that,their food is better than Thai and they drive on the correct side of the road and their road manners are a ###### of a lot better.

DO YOU REALLY MEAN IT? HAVE YOU LIVED IN CHINA?

the women carry the load of most of the work, and most asian males are to ###### lazy to be worth much,even if you can get them sober.

I agree with you. But yes, "most".

Bluecat & everyone,

I wouldn't say making money in China is difficult if you have the right connections.

But I would say the money you get, is from the blood of the people.

It is a sad country(if not the saddest). Not trying to blame the government or anyone, just the fact.

Human Rights? "khor tot na kup! Mai mee na kup!" It is a very good thing that the US government keep monitoring it!

If you are familiar with Australian politics, a parallel is John Howards (whos guts I also hate) beating up of the refugee issue, while quietly upping the migration intake to record levels, although the Aussie PM has been a bit more canny than dear leader. Its all politics unfortunately.

I guess you are "luk kreung" Aussie/Thai then?

Well, it is not easy being a leader. Never please all people! :o

I met with chinese engineers on two occasions in 1992 and the women carried weight with the men. True...no women managers and I didn't know if they had to deal with kids and household stuff when they got home but they were tough cookies and outdid their male counterparts everytime when it came to technical issues.

But it was cold up in NE China and everyone wore bulky clothes so I didn't know if I wanted to fukc them or not...