Cheating

Snackbar

Some of my EP classes are small enough (under 25) that I can customize their homework and other assignments. The looks on their faces is priceless when they realize their friend's homework has different questions.

You'd think this would put a dent in cheating/copying, but quite a few students will still copy answers from their friends even when it's blindingly obvious that the paper they're copying from has completely different questions on it. Example:

Student A, question #1: What is a gas transmission cell used for?

Answer: A gas transmission cell is used to analyze the composition, properties and behaviors of vapors and gasses.

Student B, question #1: Explain why photosynthesis is an endothermic reaction.

Answer: A gas transmission cell is used to analyze the composition, properties and behaviors of vapors and gasses.

Even when it's pointed out that they copied their answer, most will say that they knew it wasn't the right answer for the question but think they should still get some credit anyway.

We were recently sent some sms's by a relative student at Uni in Bkk asking for the answers, completely stumped by express 20% as a fraction and a half as a percentage along with several other similar questions that an 8 year old should be able to do. No wonder the country has 84% of the workforce unskilled.

Edited by jacky54

You think this is bad?

How about incessant talking, long glances at neighbors papers, literally turning around in their seats to copy, copying tests as they are passed forward but my favorite balls out copy tactic - take another test and hold it in one hand while copying it with the other.

If you fail them, you just make work for your selves. Give the group a grade one point above failing and your best students whatever you feel like that day.

Appears test taking in classes above /10 is largely group effort but cheating occurs at all levels.

If you have access to a room with computers, you should consider using quiz builder software for your exams. I've used ispring for some of my exams and it works well. You can configure it to present questions in random order, so that one student's Q#1 might be another student's Q#5. Of course this works only for multiple-guess exams.

If the school is willing to pay for an exam server, the software will dump all the results into a spreadsheet for you. If not, you'll have to do that part manually.

Google forms can do this too, but without the question randomization and automatic grading parts.

I tried an online classroom last term. A few individuals flew through the work and completed all tasks....then kids we like. Individuals who can work independently. Every student was assessed individually. The rest of the class - the traditional copies/cheaters, fell behind. These are the ones that hated this system. They could not hold onto their friends apron strings and get pulled along to a pass. In the end, most of the kids passed; the lowest ones just barely. I'm gonna go at it fully next. term. What we call collaboration in the West is in no way similar to the 'group work' that happens here - one kid does all the work and the others get credit. It's going to stop.

Cheaters have been exposed in the mid term exams. And an appropriate grade awarded.

Despite the perception of a no-fail policy SS do fail and are failed.

I know of no-fail schools but who wants to work at a place like that?

Students can fail a mid-semester class, but if they fail for the semester, they have to repeat the year. How many students do you have that repeat the year?

I know a lot of places that allow a fail grade for a semester, but at the end of the year, the pass. I also know places that allow the teacher to put the actual failing grade in, but it is changed on the official records.

This is Thailand, it will be done the way the Thais want it done.

My students must pass all classes with at least a 50% final grade, so failing one subject could pull them under if they're already close. But the consequences are essentially nothing - they have to take a two week cram course (equal to about 12 periods) in the subject they failed. I suspect the school loves this because the student has to pay something like 800 baht per credit, but the teacher doesn't get paid anything extra. It's pure profit for the school.

During this course, we're encouraged to give them "easy work" so they can pass. You know what that means: word searches, watching videos and then talking about them, games & puzzles. I feel like I need to remind everyone that this is at the high school level.

Failed students can continue on with their normal schedule and advance into the next grade even while carrying a GPA of less than 1. All that matters is that he make up the failed subject at some point before graduation. If they still can't manage that (and it happens), they'll keep coming back even after graduation to sit in on whatever makeup classes happen to be running to try to nudge that final average above 50%.

I've had a few students transfer from the EP to the Thai program when it looked like they were going to bomb-out big time. That keeps them in school and paying the tuition.

Edited by attrayant