SongKran Suggestions

wayne07836

Hi all,

I will be flying to Thailand in April and will be there for the madness of Songkran, I will go to see my girlfriend up in Khorat and she has 3 days off work for the holiday.

Was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions on somewhere nice to go with in a reasonable driving distance from Khorat for a few days, I would like somewhere nice and romantic with stuff to see where we could relax.

My original thought was Chaing Mai, but I think would be to far to drive and probably very busy for the holiday, she only has 3 days so don"t really want to spend 2 of them driving in the car.

Any suggestions from you guy's that live up that way for a nice 3 day retreat??

Take her to Siem Reap. They do not allow the water madness that Thailand does. You will see and experience a truly fantastic place and stay dry.

BTW if the car in your or her name and you use the Chong Chom crossing you can drive. No problem

Edited by khwaibah

Take her to Siem Reap. They do not allow the water madness that Thailand does. You will see and experience a truly fantastic place and stay dry.

BTW if the car in your or her name and you use the Chong Chom crossing you can drive. No problem

I just checked that out on Google, now I know she would loove that, thanks for your idea.

She has a car but I was I was planning on using my truck, nothing wrong with her driving, never had an accident but seen hundreds :-), but again I was going to do the driving and give her a break.

You say I can drive my truck across no problem, don't need a passport for the truck? can I get a visa except? I am a UK passport holder.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

I just checked that out on Google, now I know she would loove that, thanks for your idea.

She has a car but I was I was planning on using my truck, nothing wrong with her driving, never had an accident but seen hundreds :-), but again I was going to do the driving and give her a break.

You say I can drive my truck across no problem, don't need a passport for the truck? can I get a visa except? I am a UK passport holder.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

The car has to be in your or her name. All you need is the registration book that shows it current,. At the moment no other docs are required for going into Cambodia with a Thai car. The car passport your reefing to is only between Thailand and Laos. Your GF needs a Thai passport. You being British will get another 30 day visa exempt when crossing back into The Cambodian visa for you should be 30 USD but be prepared to pay 1500 baht at this crossing her visa should be free for 14 days but they will sting her 100 baht. Your car insurance for Thailand is no good in Cambodia and they do not offer insurance at the moment. Its about 175 km from Choeng Chom to Siem Reap. About 2.5 hours, good road a very little traffic. This being SongKran advise you book a room NOW as people run out of here to SR because of the water madness in Thailand. Try and get a room around Pub Street. This is ground zero of the action. Great food and great beer, far better than Thailand. Google Pub Street. Have a lot of mates that cross over and drive to SR on a regular bases at this crossing.

It's Songkran, a time when traditionally Thais return home to be with their family, or if home, stay there.

Have you consulted the GF yet?

and stay drunk.. There is no way you will catch me out over that period on the highways. Its a national meat grinder on the roads.

Khwaibah,

Thank you very much for this info, the car is in my name and I have the blue book, I will make sure that I travel with it, I also have fully comprehensive insurance on top of the Government insurance, I will be sure to let them know my travel plans, they may honor the insurance for a little extra.

Sound like a great idea and would be a good opportunity for me to see this amazing place, already googled and found the pub street.

Thanks for a great idea

It's Songkran, a time when traditionally Thais return home to be with their family, or if home, stay there.

Have you consulted the GF yet?

and stay drunk.. There is no way you will catch me out over that period on the highways. Its a national meat grinder on the roads.

My girlfriend lives and works in Korat, she is with her family all year round, I am sure she would enjoy the break, probably take them with us (small family)

But yes your right I will obviously consult with her, she had no problem spending new year in Dubai with me but I understand Songran is different.

Hell if she don't want to go I will go it alone :-)

Khwaibah,

Thank you very much for this info, the car is in my name and I have the blue book, I will make sure that I travel with it, I also have fully comprehensive insurance on top of the Government insurance, I will be sure to let them know my travel plans, they may honor the insurance for a little extra.

Sound like a great idea and would be a good opportunity for me to see this amazing place, already googled and found the pub street.

Thanks for a great idea

Your This insurance IS NO GOOD in Cambodia and Cambodia does not sell insurance for Thai vehicle of ANY kind in Cambodia. Anyone that takes a Thai registered vehicle is doing so at their on risk. I know quit a few that do. Just saying.

Khwaibah,

Thanks for a great idea

Your This insurance IS NO GOOD in Cambodia and Cambodia does not sell insurance for Thai vehicle of ANY kind in Cambodia. Anyone that takes a Thai registered vehicle is doing so at their on risk. I know quit a few that do. Just saying.

Ok got it thank you, but I will let them know anyway.

Tanks for your advise

I think you missed my point,

This will be a break for my girlfriend as much as it is for me, she lives and works there and that is why I would like to take her away for a few days, she presumably as seen it already.

My suggestion is, if you are only temporary visiting Thailand and your Thai girlfriend has only 3 days off from her work, then book a local hotel room, have 3 nights of mad passionate love with her and forget the water chucking festival.