Would this be a useful method of Thai learning?

jobin

I have an old Thai language book with English, Thai script and romanization sounds. All set in small scenes like at the hotel, the restaurant, meeting new friends, etc.

Really all i want is some basic street talk and no writing or reading skills. So if i ask my security guard to read sentence 17 on page 8 and record his response, then play it again and again in my room, then take that sound to the street, will i be heard? The guard speaks/reads no english and i'm just asking him to read and me to mimic. Will this work for me?

The security guard might have problems with reading and be embarrassed by your request.

The security guard might be from deep Isan (north-east Thailand) where they speak a heavy (Laos) dialect.

Not the best Thai language coach.

You have a computer, a smartphone and an internet connection?

Many resources to find spoken Thai.

http://www.thai-language.com/default.aspx has a lot of spoken words and phrases (although one of the female speakers annoys me tongue.png ).

My other source is German/Thai which is not for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jobin. The best method of learning a language is using it.

I speak stand Thai language. You can PM me necessary sentences you would like to practice in your daily life.

I'm willing to record my voice to support your Thai learning goals.

:)

"KhunBENQ" said: "The security guard might have problems with reading and be embarrassed by your request. The security guard might be from deep Isan (north-east Thailand) where they speak a heavy (Laos) dialect. Not the best Thai language coach.

I second that from "KhunBENQ". Foolish trying to learn from a security guard. Better for you to find an experienced teacher. Edited by PT4

A great question OP.

4 years ago I came to Thailand.

I purchased an online Thai course.

I spent hours listening to words and phrases from their free Holiday Thai Course.

Although it recommends that we should learn to read I just thought that was a step too far and never gave it a shot.

Big mistake!

I learned quite a few words and phrases but was unable to converse with a Thai.

I gave up on the course.

A year ago I came across the High Speed Thai website. http://j3.learnthaionline.com/

I watched their free video a few times and was amazed how much I learned.

They use crazy pictures that help you remember each character, it's class and tone painlessly

A picture tells 1,000 words.

Just a few weeks ago I purchased the full course.

Not cheap but when I spend a substantial amount, it surely motivates me to actually get the value by using it.... he he

I spent a few days only of solid study and lo and behold, I could read loads of Thai - don't understand what it means yet but it's amazing.

The course design is fantastic.

There are practice words with a sound and phonetics icon, a meaning icon and two other helpful icons to assist in remembering.

The sound/phonetic icon only gives up the phonetic spelling if you double click it.

The system want's us to actually use our brains and think!

If it's too easy it does not sink in.

The important thing for me has been that those words I learned by only listening are often wrong.

I heard words that seem to end in a T sound whereas in fact they should more correctly be a soft d sound.

I only learned this from the Rapid Thai course.

I am 74 so this is not easy. Also, friends came over and we all went on a few weeks holiday which broke up my study.

Then I was further distracted by helping a Thai friend to upgrade a Lenovo all-in-one computer to windows 10.

A nightmare!

I am now back to some daily study and am really enjoying it.

Still close to the beginning of the corse but loving it.

My brain is growing new synapses every day - use it or lose it!

Here are a few resources you might like to investigate:-

From the Rapid Thai course, learn 13 characters in just a few minutes :- http://j3.learnthaionline.com/

This is the first course I tried:- http://learn-thai-podcast.com/

Login and try the free stuff.

They sometimes have reduced price offers.