Are We Being Lied to - Motor Driving Test in Bueng Kan

dsfbrit

My family lives in Pattaya, but I have helped a family member over the last period get back on her feet. She has no money and now has a kid, a familiar story. We said we would buy her a second hand motorbike, but she had to pass he motorbike test first.

So she went to Bueng Kan Testing Centre and first had to pass the computer test. She failed that 3 times, but on the 4th time she passed. We had given her enough money to get to the centre by public transport up until this point. She also borrowed a friends motorbike.

She passed her written test on the 13th January.

She then asked for more money so that she could hire a motorbike for a day (maybe 2) to take the practical driving test. Her friend was using her bike the next few days, so she could not borrow that bike, so wanted to hire one for 2 days.

The cost of the test and hiring a bike and having her kid looked after for 2 days would be 1000 baht.

We sent this on the 14th and she took her test and passed it.

When we saw her driving licence, it was dated 13th January.

I am interested to know what date the licence is dated from. Is it when she passed the computer test or both the driving test and the computer test.

This for me is an important point. If she had to pass the driving test before she got the licence, then why is it dated the 13th?

If she actually passed both parts of the test on the 13th, then why did she need another 1000 baht?

I am not bothered about the 1000 baht as such, but if this girl has lied to us about needing an additional 1000 baht, then naturally I will be less than amused.

Any advice you could give me on this would be very much appreciated.

Edited by dsfbrit

mountains and mole hills comes to mind and all for a grand

?with a lot of posts under your belt you need to be more observant about thais and their ponchon for telling untruths

but for 1000 forget it and put it down to experience after all as you say you were helping out with a gift not a loan

Leave a little room for other explanations.

Maybe she borrowed the money beforehand.

Are they that poor that they can not advance 1000 Baht?

Be happy that you actually saw the license tongue.png

My motorbike license was a two day session, Mon, July 6 and Tue, July 7.

First day was physical test and endless "education" videos and tutoring.

Second day, July 7: written test in the morning, driving test in the afternoon.

No fails.

License printed on and dated July 7.

KhunBenq, thanks very much for that information. I am afraid it proves she lied.

For her story to be true, then her licence should have been dated after the 13th January.

Gerry, as I said in the post, I am not bothered about 1000 baht. Unlike you though, I do not like people lying to me. The amount is irrelevant. By the way, what has a 'Ponchon' got to do with this topic?

Thanks again KhunBenq for your help.

Edited by dsfbrit

1000Bath ? if she really want the money for something else.... she would have ask you directly..dont always think they will always lie to you....if they want something they will show you ...... ...

When they want something from you...its generally easy to find out..... but trust is important ........ try to trust a bit ;)rolleyes.gif but dont.....gigglem.gif after all like they said : UP TO YOU ..............

Edited by farang95

While what I say won't be the same scenario like your friend, it may give you some hope that she could be telling the truth.

I had a 1 year car license and went to renew it about 3 weeks before expiration date. I received my 5 year license the same day, but the issue date was 3 weeks in advance ( the day ,y 1 year license actually expires ).

Again, the scenario is not quite the same, but shows you that the DMV has the option to put a different issue date.

KhunBenq, thanks very much for that information. I am afraid it proves she lied.

For her story to be true, then her licence should have been dated after the 13th January.

Gerry, as I said in the post, I am not bothered about 1000 baht. Unlike you though, I do not like people lying to me. The amount is irrelevant. By the way, what has a 'Ponchon' got to do with this topic?

Unlike you though not sure how you came that conclusion seeing as how you do not know me please tell what is the next step in your investigation now you have been lied to

Even after almost 5 years in Thailand I try to think positive until proofed wrong (especially within the family).

As written I did not have a fail and repeat of the test.

I can not tell you whether this makes a difference or not.

She passed her written test on the 13th January.

Think about it. It's an automated test on computer like system connected to a database.

She passed this test it on the 13th and it might be stored there as the "passed date".

The driving test in my case was a "manual" thing. A tester ticked the name on paper list (in the afternoon).

Main difference: my written and driving test were on the same day.

Edited by KhunBENQ

KhunBenq, yes I agree with you. I like to trust people until they prove they cannot be trusted. That is with everyone, not just my Thai relations.

Like you say, the licence could easily have been dated based on the computer test on January 13th. That is why rather than jump to conclusions, I posted on the Issan forum, to better understand how the system works up there.

In Pattaya, they have just switched to 100 computer questions, whereas I believe in Buengkan it is still the 'older' system with 50 questions.

This is totally a question of trust. She spoke to me on the phone for several minutes about how tired she was after taking the computer test, how she was fed she could not borrow her friends bike again and how helpful it would be to hire a decent bike for the test.

So if that was a 'fake' conversation we had I am feeling pretty let down to be honest.

I guess I need to find someone who has taken the test on the computer based system in the last few months - is there anyone out there?

The great thing about Thaivisa, is that I can come on here and find out the facts before I make a fool of myself by suggesting she is telling 'porkies'. If I cannot prove she is being dishonest, then I will say nothing at all. I may even pay for a new bike as I will feel so guilty for doubting her wordbiggrin.png

farang95, thanks for your feedback, yes you may well be right. I hope you are. I will get great pleasure helping this girl out with a motorbike and even help her some more in the future. If she needs money then a truthful request will certainly be considered by my wife and me in the future. I am not mean, but I don't like being treated like a mug - who does. So does anyone know if she telling the truth or not - I need to know !

I don't think it will stop us buying her the bike, but she will be issued a 'yellow card' to not tell 'stories' in the future.

Remember this is Thailand, no two places or two people do things the same way, plus people make mistakes, so I see no way you will ever be able to determine what day she took the test. Also remember she may have borrowed the money and then asked you for it to pay back, she told you what happened but instead of saying she already did it, she suggested that she was going to, or at least that's the way you interpreted it. Don't worry about it, the end result is she has the license, and it seems the ฿1,000 went towards that end, so what ever the true story, in her mind, she wasn't lying to you.

My friend,you are living in a land where stealing and lying is the norm.We as westerners (if you are western) do not like being lied to or mugged off.But that is the way of it.They dont understand that if they ask to borrow or use something,then its usually ok.They see stealing and lying as the normal way of life.They have no manner's as we were taught as kids.My step daughter took my power out of my wet room,a small thing ,i know.But she adamantly denied it as she was using it in front of me!her boyfriend stole my computer mouse,brand new.His answer was 'i haven't got one,you can buy another" now my wife doesnt understand why i wont have him in the house any more.His father wasn't concerned when i called him and called his son a kammoi.The dads answer was,"oh well they are kids"You have to remember that these people steal off of their own close family.They have no sense of guilt or decency.That's the way it is,and the sooner you get used to it,the better.they dont realise the difference between us and them.The step daughter cant understand why i wont run them around in the car or give them a single baht piece any more when they have no money.never an apology or"I'm sorry"it doesn't exist in their way of life.jai yen yen my friend and learn to live life Thai style.You will be a much happier man for it.I just make sure i get to thr fridge first now,soi can nick all the stuff they like.Also my stuff now is kept in my bedroom,with the door locked.A sad state of affairs, i know,but thats the way it is.

KKD

My friend,you are living in a land where stealing and lying is the norm.We as westerners (if you are western) do not like being lied to or mugged off.But that is the way of it.They dont understand that if they ask to borrow or use something,then its usually ok.They see stealing and lying as the normal way of life.They have no manner's as we were taught as kids.My step daughter took my power out of my wet room,a small thing ,i know.But she adamantly denied it as she was using it in front of me!her boyfriend stole my computer mouse,brand new.His answer was 'i haven't got one,you can buy another" now my wife doesnt understand why i wont have him in the house any more.His father wasn't concerned when i called him and called his son a kammoi.The dads answer was,"oh well they are kids"You have to remember that these people steal off of their own close family.They have no sense of guilt or decency.That's the way it is,and the sooner you get used to it,the better.they dont realise the difference between us and them.The step daughter cant understand why i wont run them around in the car or give them a single baht piece any more when they have no money.never an apology or"I'm sorry"it doesn't exist in their way of life.jai yen yen my friend and learn to live life Thai style.You will be a much happier man for it.I just make sure i get to thr fridge first now,soi can nick all the stuff they like.Also my stuff now is kept in my bedroom,with the door locked.A sad state of affairs, i know,but thats the way it is.

KKD

farang95, thanks for your feedback, yes you may well be right. I hope you are. I will get great pleasure helping this girl out with a motorbike and even help her some more in the future. If she needs money then a truthful request will certainly be considered by my wife and me in the future. I am not mean, but I don't like being treated like a mug - who does. So does anyone know if she telling the truth or not - I need to know !

I don't think it will stop us buying her the bike, but she will be issued a 'yellow card' to not tell 'stories' in the future.

I understood your doubt..... i remember many farang on many many forum got the story about the Buffalo who is sick ....... and i expected i would have the same problem..... i did not...... if they want something from you ? they will ask you ........ they are more focus on what you going to answer and how they will act in response of your answer...that's the sensitive point...so i do certainly believe that if she wanted the money she would have ask you directly !!!!!

Don't hesitate to communicate with her..and to know more about her....maybe you right...She stoled it...anyway only you can find the truth to trust or to do not ....

KKD

A real sad story, indeed.

So now you're sitting in your bedroom with your Leo's and some untouchable Farang food around you, always worried that somebody could take something away from you?

I've got a spare mouse for free, please page me. Your "sad state of affairs" doesn't seem to make you to a happy guy.

And I'm pretty sure that your Thai family really loves you. But to get to the point. It's time for you to go back where you came from.

Lying and stealing is in no way the norm in my extended family. Please do not use " WE AS WESTERNERS", there's nothing I can agree with in your post and I'm from the West, too.

Nobody in my Thai family steals from each other. Have a good flight.wai2.gif

80% chance they made a mistake with the date and looked at the wrong form. I wouldnt assume she was lying because of typical Thai government stupidity.

Dear lostinisaan.thank you for your post ,it was most enlightening.I especially liked the bit about the Leo beer.I have since bought a huge chain and padlock for the fridge and my new mouse is now connected to the mains electricity,carrying 230 volts.I have added an electric fence and have great fun watching all the unsuspecting birds that land on it,its shocking.I have employed a personal security guard to stand outside the house and given him a 12 bore pump action shot gun to use as he sees fit.life is a lot more better now.The step daughter is now confined to her room 12 hours a day,with 1 hour exercise time and i have added tungsten steel bars to the window.The boyfriend is allowed visiting hours between 7pm and 8 pm.I might add that this is supervised and is carried out through a steel door,fitted with the same tungsten bars.Also she is not allowed sharp objects and eats with plastic utensils.I have a cctv set up which monitors her room/cell 24 hours a day.we are employing section 44 and no more than 3 of her friends are allowed to visit her at any,one time.My wife and i have taken to wearing bullet proof clothing,you can get some very stylish bulletproof stuff at 'body guards are us' in the local tesco lotus.She made an attempt to escape only the other night,fortunately,the guard on the North West tower,caught her in the spotlight and managed to wing her slightly.I am now looking for signs of any tunnel digging.I reckon that if she starts one under her bed,she could be out to the Soi by December. As for my having a good flight home! i have secured this by employing an ex staff member of Emirates to get his pal's to mirror the underside of the 3800 on which i will be traveling.By the way,the flight date has not yet been confirmed.

Once again,thank you for your post and i will advise you of any further incarceration methods to be added in the future.

Your pal,KKD