David Cameron wins breakthrough EU offer on migrant benefits

webfact

David Cameron wins breakthrough EU offer on migrant benefits
By Peter Dominiczak, Peter Foster and Matthew Holehouse

June referendum on cards as PM forces concession from Donald Tusk for Britain to apply brakes immediately after poll

LONDON: -- Migration is putting a strain on public services in the UK, European leaders admitted for the first time on Sunday night as David Cameron won a concession from the EU which could clear the way for a June referendum.

At a Downing Street dinner with Donald Tusk, the president of the European Council, Mr Cameron forced Brussels to admit Britain needs an immediate “emergency brake” on the number of foreigners coming to the UK.

In a major breakthrough, the agreement would allow Mr Cameron to impose a four-year ban on migrants claiming in-work benefits in the UK immediately after the referendum.

The concession by Mr Tusk suggests that he has the agreement of the 27 other EU member states, meaning that none of them is likely to veto.

Full story: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12133100/David-Cameron-wins-new-EU-offer-on-migrant-benefits.html

-- The Telegraph 2016-02-01

to apply brakes immediately after poll

So vote to stay in EU and we will do something about it LATER...yep yep...if there is no emergencies or some other kind of needs to accommodate a million refugees or so...

Buyer be aware.

Does anyone really believe this was a victory. The political spin doctors will be

working overtime to sell this crap. When Poland derails this load of crap

Cameron is selling as victory, Cameron will really have to ware it. whistling.gif

David Cameron wins Break through on Eu migrants benefits, But the other 29 Country s have to agree to it, I think the European Song Contest is a good judgment how the votes will go, Lets just get our coats and leave , the last one out shut the door and lets trade with the world, Europe needs Britain more than Britain needs Europe,

Putting the brake on in-work benefits will do b____r all to reduce the influx of immigrants who will fully expect to be claiming out-of-work benefits.

There are other mechanisms in place to stop newly arrived foreigners claiming some at least of such benefits.

Feelings in the UK are running very high against the EU, most people I discuss things with ask why are the authorities...Europe wide, so out of control of events?

Also there is worry about a bigger picture or plan that is being enacted by the elites (read EU dictators) that is being kept from the masses.

The realisation that the UK effectively has an open door to 500 million Euro residents, (and those granted residency by recent immigration) is now mainstream and terrifying

the indigenous people . This too is Europe wide now , not just the UK.

The responses from Merkel and Junker are so arrogant and insensitive to the concerns of the population that they are hastening the end of the European experiment .

The response to this arrogance is disbelief that these leaders can be so completely out of tune with the people. Of course the elite do not give a hoot and march on towards "ever closer union" as their mantra and the destruction of the nation states of Europe, which is indeed the goal, openly admitted by Brussels now...scary times indeed, but the people are waking up.

It may be too late though as the story is about economic benefits not removing sovereignty from our nations and cleverly perpetuated by a lacky press.

Cameron wins sweet f.a from Europe, this is stage managed B.S.

Edited by prestburypark

Perhaps David want to be in the shop when it closes. I have just read that more than 2000 migrants are still entering Germany every week and 8 - 10 million are yet to come. This is clearly unsustainable economically and social breakdown will ensue. Angela Merkel has surely bought about the demise of the EU !

Erudite, balanced views on here as always!

Fortunately, brighter minds are likely to prevail...

Go on then..tell us..

We'll stay in and negotiate improvements from within. Obviously the lack of democracy is a key issue and that must change

Benefits from being in the club massively outweigh the disadvantages. Obvious to all but the most xenophobic Little Englanders.

Read the Economist - warning long words

Erudite, balanced views on here as always!

Fortunately, brighter minds are likely to prevail...

Go on then..tell us..
We'll stay in and negotiate improvements from within. Obviously the lack of democracy is a key issue and that must change

Benefits from being in the club massively outweigh the disadvantages. Obvious to all but the most xenophobic Little Englanders.

Read the Economist - warning long words

Must be lonely there in la la land

From everything I have read, from sources both right and left wing; pro and anti EU, there seems little difference between Call Me Dave's so called concession and the current situation.

Like Wilson and Thatcher before him, Cameron is selling the British public on the idea that he has wrung concessions; when in reality very little will change.

FactCheck: Do 43 per cent of EU migrants claim benefits? makes some interesting reading.

For example, according to figures obtained from HMRC, 14% of EU nationals in the UK claim tax credits; but the vast majority of them have been living in the UK for more than 4 years. So this '4 years residency' measure will have very little effect.

As the freedom of movement treaty and the rights enshrined therein is an EEA treaty, not an EU one, and the same rights apply to all EEA members, not just EU members, then the agreement to any changes must be obtained form all EEA members, not just the EU ones.

Whatever effect these changes may have; British nationals living in other EEA states will also be affected by them.

There is absolutely no reason why the UK should be made a special case.

I'm glad so many see through this, it's pure spin, Cameron's won nothing.

It's quite simple.

Invoke Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty and at the same time state:

1. Britain is a nett contributor to the EU;

2. Britain runs a substantial trade deficit with the EU.

Now you have a bargaining position.

Alternatively just BREXIT, which in my opinion is the only option.

I love Europe.

I hate the EU.

From everything I have read, from sources both right and left wing; pro and anti EU, there seems little difference between Call Me Dave's so called concession and the current situation.

Like Wilson and Thatcher before him, Cameron is selling the British public on the idea that he has wrung concessions; when in reality very little will change.

FactCheck: Do 43 per cent of EU migrants claim benefits? makes some interesting reading.

For example, according to figures obtained from HMRC, 14% of EU nationals in the UK claim tax credits; but the vast majority of them have been living in the UK for more than 4 years. So this '4 years residency' measure will have very little effect.

As the freedom of movement treaty and the rights enshrined therein is an EEA treaty, not an EU one, and the same rights apply to all EEA members, not just EU members, then the agreement to any changes must be obtained form all EEA members, not just the EU ones.

Whatever effect these changes may have; British nationals living in other EEA states will also be affected by them.

There is absolutely no reason why the UK should be made a special case.

I agree ,we should not be a special case ,we should leave and make our own laws , problem solved .