Giving Notice

eldragon

I work for a government school in BKK. My contract is set to expire at the end of March, but classes and exams finish at the end of Feb. I want to leave the job a month early.

Should I give the school 20 days notice, as is indicated in my contract? Can I trust them to pay me? Or should I bite my lip and just take off after I turn the grades in and get paid at the end of the month? What would you do? What's your experience with government schools in matters of trust?

What makes you think you will get paid after you are gone if I you leave early?

I'm inclined to believe they will pay me for February at the end of the month provided I (per my contract) give them 20 days notice. I'll have the grades in by the time I leave. Not really sure why they signed me through March anyway.

I am however concerned that they will feel betrayed or something, and given notice they will arrange something tricky, like say the money is coming late, or cancel the check. I guess I'm just wondering if people have had good or bad luck in these situations.

From my experience. You signed through to March because they want you to be there for any students who failed to take the final or simply failed it. They may also want you to make a book of lesson plans for the year as well as additional stupid things like making lesson.plans for the.beginning of summer school. The point is that if you choose to give notice and leave without working any of Feb then they can choose not to pay you for it. If you wait it out there is a better chance that your director will tell you that you can leave once re

-testing is completed.

From my experience. You signed through to March because they want you to be there for any students who failed to take the final or simply failed it. They may also want you to make a book of lesson plans for the year as well as additional stupid things like making lesson.plans for the.beginning of summer school. The point is that if you choose to give notice and leave without working any of Feb then they can choose not to pay you for it. If you wait it out there is a better chance that your director will tell you that you can leave once re

-testing is completed.

Id work Feb, but give 20 days notice and not work March.

If you have a contract good until the end of March, I fail to see the issue. You don't need to give a notice, your contract simply expires. You haven't been offered a new contract(not mentioned it at the least) and if you are, you can decline it with a polite thank you. As for the extra duties like lesson plans, camps, remedial, community service, etc., just smile and don't do it. Most Government schools do in fact pay their contracted months. In the case you outlined there would be no reason for them not to. BTW, in case you are new, there is no point in failing anyone, you will be asked to re-test until they pass. If it's an MEP or EP program, only the real "slackers" should get any score below 3.0 on a 0-4.0 scale.

If you have a contract good until the end of March, I fail to see the issue. You don't need to give a notice, your contract simply expires. You haven't been offered a new contract(not mentioned it at the least) and if you are, you can decline it with a polite thank you. As for the extra duties like lesson plans, camps, remedial, community service, etc., just smile and don't do it. Most Government schools do in fact pay their contracted months. In the case you outlined there would be no reason for them not to. BTW, in case you are new, there is no point in failing anyone, you will be asked to re-test until they pass. If it's an MEP or EP program, only the real "slackers" should get any score below 3.0 on a 0-4.0 scale.

I want to leave a month early, at the end of this month. My contract says I can leave at any time with pay provided I give em 20 days notice. But I dont trust em, so Im thinking to wait until I get paid and bail. The grades would be in and Id take care of any failures, so I wouldnt be leaving em in a bad situation. Im just afraid if I tell em Im leaving then theyll come up with some goofy reason not to pay me the final paycheck. Anyway, what's your experience with giving gov schools notice? Do they pay you for the final month? Ever known someone who got screwed over in that situation?

I want to leave a month early, at the end of this month. My contract says I can leave at any time with pay provided I give em 20 days notice. But I dont trust em, so Im thinking to wait until I get paid and bail. The grades would be in and Id take care of any failures, so I wouldnt be leaving em in a bad situation. Im just afraid if I tell em Im leaving then theyll come up with some goofy reason not to pay me the final paycheck. Anyway, what's your experience with giving gov schools notice? Do they pay you for the final month? Ever known someone who got screwed over in that situation?

My experience is different. I left without notice at the end of October last year. I didn't want to give notice at the end of September because like you, I didn't trust them to pay October. One other teacher was in the same situation and also didn't give notice. You have to protect yourself and don't want to be screwed over. In my case, I was "breaking" a contract, not that it's a big deal of course. My VISA and Work Permit remained intact, the school did nothing, both good until the end of March 2016.

Your situation is much different as you are not breaking a contract. There is not need to give the 20 day notice. It can only harm you. Just ignore the requests, if they come, for duties after you submit final grades. Say you are "terribly busy" as Thai's often do. They understand "terribly busy", and to repeat again, since they don't seem to be offering you a new contract, you are in the clear, gone, no worries. I honestly don't think they will attempt to cheat you out of March's salary. Too much risk on their part as you could certainly go to "Labor Court" in their eyes, despite my opinion Government schools don't really fear Labor Court as some on here claim. At the end of the day, I recommend just being unavailable after you submit your grades and you will be paid per contract for March. Don't put the thought or option in their heads said payment is optional with a notice.

My experience is different. I left without notice at the end of October last year. I didn't want to give notice at the end of September because like you, I didn't trust them to pay October. One other teacher was in the same situation and also didn't give notice. You have to protect yourself and don't want to be screwed over. In my case, I was "breaking" a contract, not that it's a big deal of course. My VISA and Work Permit remained intact, the school did nothing, both good until the end of March 2016.

Your situation is much different as you are not breaking a contract. There is not need to give the 20 day notice. It can only harm you. Just ignore the requests, if they come, for duties after you submit final grades. Say you are "terribly busy" as Thai's often do. They understand "terribly busy", and to repeat again, since they don't seem to be offering you a new contract, you are in the clear, gone, no worries. I honestly don't think they will attempt to cheat you out of March's salary. Too much risk on their part as you could certainly go to "Labor Court" in their eyes, despite my opinion Government schools don't really fear Labor Court as some on here claim. At the end of the day, I recommend just being unavailable after you submit your grades and you will be paid per contract for March. Don't put the thought or option in their heads said payment is optional with a notice.

I would be breaking a contract (although it wont affect them much; theyve already suggested nothing is going on in March). It runs through March, but I want to leave at the end of Feb bc I have other offers that might not be there if I dont commit to em asap.

What you describe in your first paragraph is basically what Im feeling. And everyone Ive ever worked with has left without notice for the same reasons. Ironically, Ive never known a gov school to withhold salary for any reason. (One guy said they "forgot" to sign his check, but eventually it got straightened out.) Still, knowing the way these old teachers think, it seems like they would welcome any excuse to screw a foreign teacher over.

You can't be serious. The last day of your tenure at this school is exactly the day when your overstay will start. And that has nothing to do if they cancelled your work permit, or not. And they can cancel your work permit without you even knowing it.

If you are not lucky and you have to leave the country, it's possible that you have to pay the full overstay fine, if you rely on that you're okay until end of March 2016.

Would you, for example have to leave to Laos, they wouldn't let you leave, ask you to pay 20 K overstay, get your work permit cancelled first, once the fine is paid and you can find yourself in deep <deleted>.

Happened to a colleague just recently, but we've told her to first get her work permit cancelled, but she thought she'd be smarter.

You can't be serious. The last day of your tenure at this school is exactly the day when your overstay will start. And that has nothing to do if they cancelled your work permit, or not. And they can cancel your work permit without you even knowing it.

If you are not lucky and you have to leave the country, it's possible that you have to pay the full overstay fine, if you rely on that you're okay until end of March 2016.

Would you, for example have to leave to Laos, they wouldn't let you leave, ask you to pay 20 K overstay, get your work permit cancelled first, once the fine is paid and you can find yourself in deep <deleted>.

Happened to a colleague just recently, but we've told her to first get her work permit cancelled, but she thought she'd be smarter.

visa is not attched to the work permit so if work permit is cancelled visa remains valid until it's expiry date.

permission to stay extension on the other hand is attached to the work permit, cancel work permit = cancel extension.

Many gov schools dont have a grasp on visas. Thats why they make a lot of mistakes regarding them. They often times seem totally ignorant to the fact that one wrong move can result in a frustrating, last minute border run. So I cant see why these same people would be so quick to turn in a work permit and cancel the visa extension. In fact, my school has already informed me if I quit early they wont turn in the work permit until it expires. I would never trust em not to do that, just like I dont trust they will pay me if I give notice, but still I get what Bruce is saying. If his school didnt cancel his work permit and in turn extension, then all he has to do is 90 day reporting and hes good.

If you're distrustful of the school, there's probably a good reason.

All you can do make sure kids have finished exams and marks are in. You've done your bit. March is a nothing month or just summer camp.

If you really believe they won't pay you properly or other teachers there have had that experience, I'd just walk at the end of Feb.

As for the "No wonder schools don't pay" it very well is the egg and chicken case. Schools often pull sly tricks and expect the teacher to be good guy always. You reap what you sow.

In a perfect world you'd give 20 days notice and get paid. But this ain't a perfect world.

Many gov schools dont have a grasp on visas. Thats why they make a lot of mistakes regarding them. They often times seem totally ignorant to the fact that one wrong move can result in a frustrating, last minute border run. So I cant see why these same people would be so quick to turn in a work permit and cancel the visa extension. In fact, my school has already informed me if I quit early they wont turn in the work permit until it expires. I would never trust em not to do that, just like I dont trust they will pay me if I give notice, but still I get what Bruce is saying. If his school didnt cancel his work permit and in turn extension, then all he has to do is 90 day reporting and hes good.

Good afternoon. We have that long and bold post from my former friend lostinasia to reply to, geezee..

But to reply to you, kind person just asking for experiences and opinions, you would be well advised to hold the Work Permit yourself, not allow the school to maintain it. I don't know for sure you have done that, but in the future, no matter what they say, keep it in your own safe/bag etc.. If they aren't giving you the cost back, they don't even deserve a copy, but that another matter for another day.

Yes, I've been out of the country, and back in, and also done a 90 day report since leaving. Not a mention nor care about my status, all good in the computer. That said, I'm not sure all the computers talk to each other so while it's possible the school sent a letter to Labor, I doubt it, but even if they did, it hasn't resulted in my VISA extension aka in my case, the Multiple Re-Entry, to be canceled in the system. Sure, I'm on pins and needles but lucky for me, not destitute like so many teachers it seems. I can afford the 20,000.Baht and in fact, could never return to the Kingdom if that's their wish. I never leave the country without my affairs in order and in my pocket. You never know what may happen, it would be stupid to leave with the assumption you could return at will.

visa is not attched to the work permit so if work permit is cancelled visa remains valid until it's expiry date.

permission to stay extension on the other hand is attached to the work permit, cancel work permit = cancel extension.

In my case, it's an extension of stay and multiple re-entry permit. I asked, in person, an immigration official who had my passport in his hand and was looking at the pages, and he said the canceled Work Permit did mean the extension was also canceled, the same day, no grace period. You are expected to cancel the Work Permit and either leave the country or convert to another type of VISA that same very day, time and miles be damned. Now, I've read some place you can buy a seven day extension for 1900 Baht but not done it myself nor anyone I know so not sure this applies when a Work Permit involved.

Well, the bold got me, just like the red did us both last week.....Suffice to say, I check on things, I don't rely on TV or others in the "office" to advise me on VISA and Work Permit and Overstay matters. I'm good, I've been out and back in on my Multiple Re-Entry, and also done a 90 report as mentioned to the kind member. If I was on overstay as you so boldly imply, surely it would have been caught by now don't you think Vern?

PS: I won't be at some frontier border with Laos lostinasia. I fly, fly baby fly, and in Business Class no less. As I said mate, this bloke doesn't leave home without everything in order and in a comfort zone. If there were to be a problem at BKK, I would simply return to the Marriott and pay someone to solve it. No big deal really, just money baby. Money. Cheers mate.

Edited by Scott
Font and Color

Well, the bold got me, just like the red did us both last week.....Suffice to say, I check on things, I don't rely on TV or others in the "office" to advise me on VISA and Work Permit and Overstay matters. I'm good, I've been out and back in on my Multiple Re-Entry, and also done a 90 report as mentioned to the kind member. If I was on overstay as you so boldly imply, surely it would have been caught by now don't you think Vern?

Actually, I wanted to take out my red pen this time, but it's your lucky day. Dude, it wasn't even planned to criticize you, just a warning.

Good to hear that you're okay. Keep them coming, please.- thumbsup.gif

Wrong on so many points. You have 7 days grace period after a work visa expires. It only is canceled if the school makes the effort to do it, otherwise it just runs out at set time. Most employers cant be bothered to actually go and cancel the visa and work permit unless they are very angry or need to register a new employee and they have a cap on the number of work permits that can be active at one time.

"Wrong on so many points. You have 7 days grace period after a work visa expires. It only is canceled if the school makes the effort to do it, otherwise it just runs out at set time. Most employers cant be bothered to actually go and cancel the visa and work permit unless they are very angry or need to register a new employee and they have a cap on the number of work permits that can be active at one time."

Wrong on a couple of points.

There is no 7 day grace period, you can apply for an extension - it is refused - you then get a 7 day permission to stay, to leave the country, (costs 1900 Baht).

Visas are not cancelled, only extensions of stay.

There is no such thing as a "work visa".

"You have 7 days grace period after a work visa expires." There is no grace period after the work permit is canceled. There used to be about 10 years ago but that has ended a long time ago.

As for the topic.

Just give notice. The only reason to get your pay and run is if the school has cheated you before. If you plan on leaving Thailand, don't need the school for a reference or have no professional standards, then leave without notice.

Most schools are happy to let you go early if classes are finished, grades are in, and retests have been finished.

If the school year is over, and you've gotten paid for the month; just bail.I wouldn't be concerned with using them as a reference. The Thais don't seem to answer emails. If another school needs you, all they need to know is you lasted the whole school year.

Wrong on so many points. You have 7 days grace period after a work visa expires. It only is canceled if the school makes the effort to do it, otherwise it just runs out at set time. Most employers cant be bothered to actually go and cancel the visa and work permit unless they are very angry or need to register a new employee and they have a cap on the number of work permits that can be active at one time.

Wrong on so many points? Or having had too many pints?

A Filipina started to work at my school short before the midterm break, who was on an "extension on stay" with a work permit from her former job in Ptasanulok, where she'd already left a few months before. ( 2- 3 months)

I brought her to the local Immigration to get her 90 day report done and the first officer immediately told us that she'd have to go back to get this done and to get the work permit canceled.

The other Immigration officer who knows me for quite a long time then gave her the new 90 days card, but advised her to get her work permit immediately cancelled. I promised to follow her advice and we took off.

I printed the needed forms out and gave them to her. She didn't really look at it and I later found them in the trash bin. She had her own plans and said that she'd have an okay visa......facepalm.gif

Then the midterm break. She had all documents to apply for a visa, issued by our school and edu department.

But Mukdahan Immigration almost arrested her, because they found that she's on a maximal overstay ( 20 K)

She's lucky that the school then sent her 20 K and she could pay her fine. But she still had to go to Pitsanulok to get her work permit cancelled, they didn't let her leave the country before that.

Please clarify who's wrong here. Thanks a lot for your time and consideration. wai2.gif

She's lucky that the school then sent her 20 K and she could pay her fine. But she still had to go to Pitsanulok to get her work permit cancelled, they didn't let her leave the country before that.

Please clarify who's wrong here. Thanks a lot for your time and consideration. wai2.gif

The school for being so stupid as to hire someone who doesn't have any sense, nor 20,000.Baht in her pocket when she knows she's here illegally, combined with their stupidity for sending the money to the "teacher". So many come into these schools destitute, it's almost unbearable to look at much less, be around, and of course think about the exposure to the students. Why do they think the Thai's have a duty to pay overstay fines and medical expenses of foreigners?

"You have 7 days grace period after a work visa expires." There is no grace period after the work permit is canceled. There used to be about 10 years ago but that has ended a long time ago.

As for the topic.

Just give notice. The only reason to get your pay and run is if the school has cheated you before. If you plan on leaving Thailand, don't need the school for a reference or have no professional standards, then leave without notice.

Most schools are happy to let you go early if classes are finished, grades are in, and retests have been finished.

The discussion has evolved now, and we are not talking about February's wages. Those will we assume be paid as the member intends to fulfill his/her responsibility of turning in the grades at the EOM or early in March. It is now about getting paid for March, which the contract calls for and he/she has earned. The best way wouldn't be to give a "notice". The contract ends, that's the notice all parties are in agreement with. Nothing unprofessional and no worry about a reference either. Thai's don't check references nor I assume, know how to give them.

The school for being so stupid as to hire someone who doesn't have any sense, nor 20,000.Baht in her pocket when she knows she's here illegally, combined with their stupidity for sending the money to the "teacher". So many come into these schools destitute, it's almost unbearable to look at much less, be around, and of course think about the exposure to the students. Why do they think the Thai's have a duty to pay overstay fines and medical expenses of foreigners?

There's an old saying, where I'm from: "On each train is an idiot". And there're quite a lot of trains in almost all countries.

P.S. She's got a 46 year old very brown tongue and the important guys are all called "Ajarn".

Brooms are always "handy" when somebody can see that they do it."

It's a nice reason to stay longer art school when nobody is waiting for you and you're to greedy to pay for internet? Another, from the same country lives next door, but they can't even afford to be online, which is really necessary in my eyes.

You always need the net, printer and so on these days and it's financially.pretty easy when they split it up.

There's really nothing that could surprise me anymore. Cheers, Ajarn -Dude Khun Bruce.-thumbsup.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

You always need the net, printer and so on these days and it's financially.pretty easy when they split it up.

There's really nothing that could surprise me anymore. Cheers, Ajarn -Dude Khun Bruce.-thumbsup.gif

I don't think you really need a printer at home...but considering the cost of one, if you even have an inkling or once in a long while need, why not? It could be a matter of the ink refills and cheap printers drying out. As for the internet itself, I used to find myself looking for refined explanation of certain grammar points on the internet, looking for something simple and straight forward to relay to students. I find it very useful for that. Living without internet these days is like, well, going camping.

I'm frankly surprised at the Thai's going away from "Native Speakers" to those from surrounding countries with an English speaking ability. There was a time, not long ago, and not far away(Bangkok) where those in charge understood the difference. Those times have passed rather than evolved. One person I know, this is first hand information, was recently told her contract would not be renewed because she didn't get the TCT to issue a fourth waiver. This woman is 47 years old, been at the school for six years, and is loved by the students. The school has refused to deal with it, she's leaving. She will be replaced by one of a hundred or so Filipino's referred by those currently on staff at said school. This surprises me, but should it? This particular school pays the Filipino's the same wage as the western native speakers. It's a gold mine for Filipino's who I should say, for the most part(she says three out of the four) are hard working teachers. The fourth is a male Filipino whose lies have never been checked out(according to her) and he continues to be a hero and indispensable unlike the farangs despite conduct which would result in immediate termination in the "west".

As for the topic.

The discussion has evolved now, and we are not talking about February's wages. Those will we assume be paid as the member intends to fulfill his/her responsibility of turning in the grades at the EOM or early in March. It is now about getting paid for March, which the contract calls for and he/she has earned. The best way wouldn't be to give a "notice". The contract ends, that's the notice all parties are in agreement with. Nothing unprofessional and no worry about a reference either. Thai's don't check references nor I assume, know how to give them.

The discussion is off topic. And I don't know why you keep bringing it back to March. Apologies if I was not clear in numerous posts (although I think I was), but I will make one more attempt here.

My contract expires at the end of March. I want to finish a month early, at the end of February. My question is if I (per my contract) give my school twenty days notice of my intention to leave at the end of February, can I trust them to pay me for February? I am not concerned with March's wages since I would not be working and thus would not deserve to receive them.

Anyway, I think I know what I'm gonna do, but I won't decided until Monday. In the meantime, if anyone has experience with ending a contract early on good (or bad) terms, please let me know.