Bangkok cabbie fined 1,000 baht for 'malfunctioning' meter

webfact

Anyone know if the B1,000 is for a first offence and the fines/punishments get more severe for further offences?

The offences are not even recorded as far as I know , they're all be no record of this and he still has his taxi licence so he can move to another area tomorrow and nobody will have a clue what happened.....

Lifetime ban from taxi driving and 2 years in jail would be a deterrent, taxi and also regular driving licence revoked permanently would be sufficient.. Imo

If it wasn't performing it's intended task correctly, it was malfunctioning. An oddly neutral word to use in the circumstances, perhaps, but a correct one.

I seriously doubt that.

If it was malfunctioning in a manner that was so obvious it should have been turned off.

It was a scam.

Anyone know if the B1,000 is for a first offence and the fines/punishments get more severe for further offences?

The offences are not even recorded as far as I know , they're all be no record of this and he still has his taxi licence so he can move to another area tomorrow and nobody will have a clue what happened.....

Lifetime ban from taxi driving and 2 years in jail would be a deterrent, taxi and also regular driving licence revoked permanently would be sufficient.. Imo

That is plain biased BS.

Who the hell are you(as a guest i assume) to come here and tell the Thai judiciary system how to sentence people?

If they enforced all laws, bar prostitutes would all be in jail and half of the male posters here wouldn't be in Thailand

Or maybe you would like harsh sentences just fr the crimes that annoy you? What a selfish, shitty attitude.

Edited by Johnniey

If it wasn't performing it's intended task correctly, it was malfunctioning. An oddly neutral word to use in the circumstances, perhaps, but a correct one.

I seriously doubt that.

If it was malfunctioning in a manner that was so obvious it should have been turned off.

It was a scam.

It probably was a scam, yes. I was just pointing out that the world malfunctioning simply means an object that isn't functioning correctly - so taxi meter that doesn't register the correct fare can be said to be malfunctioning, no matter what the reason.

Loved the response that he did not know the meter was broken. If it smells like bu-l sh-t and looks like b-ll shi- it usually is. Nothing ever changes in Thailand!

him good man. him not know. him no understand. him work maak maak and feed family. him no blame.

I seriously doubt that.

It was a scam.

It probably was a scam, yes. I was just pointing out that the world malfunctioning simply means an object that isn't functioning correctly - so taxi meter that doesn't register the correct fare can be said to be malfunctioning, no matter what the reason.

Think I would give up while I was ahead with that argument.

I seriously doubt that.

It was a scam.

Think I would give up while I was ahead with that argument.

What argument? Just pointing out what the word means, and that it's correctly used in this context.

I'm not excusing the guy or anything of that sort.