Thirty day tourist extension.

northernjohn

I have some friends visiting Thailand and they have a 30 day visa which runs out on the 5th. They want to extend it Is that done at the Promenada or the AirPort?

Also has any one had experience doing it lately is it a long Queue or an in and out deal. I imagine there is a form to fill out but will they need some thing else photocopied out of their passport.

Any help appreciated.

I suspect they don't have a 30 day visa, but rather a 30-day visa exempt permission to stay was stamped into their passport when they entered the country. They can extend this for another 30 days at Immigration Promenada. They fill out form TM7 , front and back, attach a 4 cm x 6 cm photo (on blue background), copy their passport photo page, entry stamp and copy of their TM6 card. They'll need to know their address where they're staying. It helps if they bring a business card or something from the place they're staying with all the pesky details like tambon and amphur because those details are required on the form -- along with local phone number. 1900 baht.

They should arrive in the morning, 8 am is a good time. They won't give out a queue number unless the form is totally filled out correctly.

Your friends at G4T can help with this (for a fee) if it's too complicated for them or they want to come later in the day.

I suspect they don't have a 30 day visa, but rather a 30-day visa exempt permission to stay was stamped into their passport when they entered the country. They can extend this for another 30 days at Immigration Promenada []

Are you sure about this?

I ask because I was at the immigration office when someone from Laos had a 30-day visa exempt stamp and asked about extending it. They were told that they could only get a 7-day extension (because they had no visa).

I suspect they don't have a 30 day visa, but rather a 30-day visa exempt permission to stay was stamped into their passport when they entered the country. They can extend this for another 30 days at Immigration Promenada []

Are you sure about this?

I ask because I was at the immigration office when someone from Laos had a 30-day visa exempt stamp and asked about extending it. They were told that they could only get a 7-day extension (because they had no visa).

A visa exempt entry can be extended for 30 days.

If they were only offered seven days, that means their application for the extension was being denied and they were given 7 days to leave the country. Hard to say why they were refused without more information about them and what was stamped in their passports on arrival.

Are they citizens of Laos? Special rules may apply to citizens from neighboring countries.

A visa on arrival (different from a visa exempt entry) cannot be extended as far as I know.

Not what I read which is that holders of the following passports can get a one time 30 day extension of the Visa exempt entry for 1900 baht.

TAT trumpeted this as some great accomplishment as people from these countries supposedly covers about half of total arrivals.

Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong SAR, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Kuwait, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Malaysia, Monaco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Peru, Philippines, Portugal, Poland, Qatar, Singapore, Slovak, Slovenia, Spain, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Vietnam, and Hong Kong SAR.

^ Nope.

A tourist visa can be extended with 30 days. Visa exemption cannot, you typically get 7 days.

If they need more then I suggest a short holiday in Macau or something. Or anywhere really, plenty regional flights out of CNX now.

Wrong.

A Visa exempt entry can be extended by 30 days at Immigration. 1,900 Baht.

^ Nope.

A tourist visa can be extended with 30 days. Visa exemption cannot, you typically get 7 days.

If they need more then I suggest a short holiday in Macau or something. Or anywhere really, plenty regional flights out of CNX now.

Not trying to "pile on" but that isn't accurate. One can extend a visa exempt entry for another 30 days for 1900 thb. (Relatively recent change.)

^ Nope.

Not trying to "pile on" but that isn't accurate. One can extend a visa exempt entry for another 30 days for 1900 thb. (Relatively recent change.)

Only certain countries can extend for 30 days on a Visa Exempt on arrival stamp.

For example China and India can only get 7 days.

^ Nope.

Only certain countries can extend for 30 days on a Visa Exempt on arrival stamp.

As far as I know citizens from India and China are not entitled to Visa Exempt on Arrival stamps.

^ Nope.

As far as I know citizens from India and China are not entitled to Visa Exempt on Arrival stamps.

As said Chinese and Indians get a visa on arrival not a visa exempt entry.

Only those that get their visa exempt entries from a bilateral agreement cannot get the 30 day extension. See here for a list of countries that qualify for different types of entries. http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/customize/62281-Summary-of-Countries-and-Territories-entitled-for.html

Archived