Longtime political cartoonist 'Stephff' loses work permit & visa

webfact

Longtime Political Cartoonist 'Stephff' Loses Work Permit & Visa
By Pravit Rojanaphruk and Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Writers

14544057871454405985l.jpg
The Nation political cartoonist Stephane 'Stephff' Peray poses with one of his paintings in a photo posted online Sept. 20, 2015. Photo: Stephane Peray / Facebook

BANGKOK — A longtime political cartoonist for a major English-language newspaper said today he has been denied his media visa, working permit and press card, effectively making it illegal for him to work in Thailand as a journalist.

Known for skewering figures across the political spectrum in cartoons for The Nation newspaper, Stephane "Stephff" Peray wrote exasperated messages on social media Tuesday afternoon questioning the reason for the decision.

“Very good news for those who hate me, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs refused me [sic] renewal of my visa, work permit and press card after 16 years,” tweeted Stephane Peray, a French national and political cartoon contributor to The Nation newspaper who works under the name Stephff.

Although Peray’s work was known for an anti-Shinawatra stance and lukewarm acceptance of the 2014 coup d’etat, he has for some months made fun of junta leader Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1454405787&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-02-03

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sooooo... I wonder how it would be if "some future government" required "a certain leader" to pay for the aircraft carrier scheme the way Yingluck is being pursued for the rice scheme.

The guy did have a point, doncha nooo.

I guess that all of those (lately disappeared) junta cheerleaders really didn't want freedom of the press after all.

Reconciliation can get dicey, sometimes.

Dont take it personally Stephff, it is not only you that is finding this problem. Farangs married to Thais now must produce their NEIGHBORS house documents to get their non O. This of course might be somewhat problematic if you don't get along with neighbors or don't have any at all. Visa denied. It's all part of the junta's xenophobia and nobody has been more critical (and hilariously so - thank you!) than yourself. Please continue to lampoon these fools from overseas, you still submit cartoons to the Nation from abroad without a thai work permit.

News flash. I follow Stephff and love his cartoons. He just got a call from

the Foreign Ministry trying to straighten this out. Apparently the Director

General thought he was a foreign journalist and did not realize he does

work for the Nation. So hopefully this will be resolved, but it certainly does

send a chilling message to other foreign journalists....

His update from his Facebook page. I certainly hope this gets

straightened out....

"new update on my work permit renewal refusal : I just got a call 25 minutes ago from the Foreign Ministry . They said that the Director-General didn't realize I was working for the Nation . So what they ask me to do is to provide a letter of support from The Nation instead of being a cartoonist for a foreign newspaper ( I work full time for the Kuwait Times as a cartoonist since 1999 ) . So apparently it's not poltically motivated - just new regulation from the Foreign ministry to make life harder on freelance journalists... So will see if they grant me renewal with letter of sponsor from The Nation . I apologize that the story is not as exciting as it may have seemed . But this confirm what the FCCT knows already : that there is a trend of getting rid of non-important journalists - small freelancers - you know those who can't make big noises ..."

Edited by EyesWideOpen

News flash. I follow Stephff and love his cartoons. He just got a call from

the Foreign Ministry trying to straighten this out. Apparently the Director

General thought he was a foreign journalist and did not realize he does

work for the Nation. So hopefully this will be resolved, but it certainly does

send a chilling message to other foreign journalists....

His update from his Facebook page. I certainly hope this gets

straightened out....

"new update on my work permit renewal refusal : I just got a call 25 minutes ago from the Foreign Ministry . They said that the Director-General didn't realize I was working for the Nation . So what they ask me to do is to provide a letter of support from The Nation instead of being a cartoonist for a foreign newspaper ( I work full time for the Kuwait Times as a cartoonist since 1999 ) . So apparently it's not poltically motivated - just new regulation from the Foreign ministry to make life harder on freelance journalists... So will see if they grant me renewal with letter of sponsor from The Nation . I apologize that the story is not as exciting as it may have seemed . But this confirm what the FCCT knows already : that there is a trend of getting rid of non-important journalists - small freelancers - you know those who can't make big noises ..."

Next question - is The Nation going to dare provide a letter of support? They and the Bangkok Post have hung contributors out to dry before...

Edited by 15Peter20

A very good cartoonist: skilled, insightful and works without fear or favour. The previous govt took his cartoons on the chin, even if they didn't like it, and so should this one. It's the thin end of the wedge when cartoonists get the boot. Hope to see this resolved.

Now, back to Paris and draw about the siege of Europe. It is a much bigger issue than this backwaters of 60+ million people.

Wow trogers! I so enjoy reading your profound and informative posts.

Edited by MZurf

Dont take it personally Stephff, it is not only you that is finding this problem. Farangs married to Thais now must produce their NEIGHBORS house documents to get their non O. This of course might be somewhat problematic if you don't get along with neighbors or don't have any at all. Visa denied. It's all part of the junta's xenophobia and nobody has been more critical (and hilariously so - thank you!) than yourself. Please continue to lampoon these fools from overseas, you still submit cartoons to the Nation from abroad without a thai work permit.

Must be just where you are , I just did mine no mention of anything close to that , just same stuff as I do every year..

Regardless of whether Stephff is allowed to carry on working, I ref to Eyeswideopen blog , everyone knows that Thailand has a dictatorship and no amount of posturing by the administration will convince me otherwise, and with all respect to Ret General Prayut - O who at the beginning showed great promise , then fell into the old 1,2,3 trap of army run countries, totalitarian Governments hold no place in the modern world today, Burma is a prime example.......................................coffee1.gif

I just got a call 25 minutes ago from the Foreign Ministry . They said that the Director-General didn't realize I was working for the Nation .

This sounds like massive back pedaling and face saving from the Director General.

How could the labour department not know that he works for the Nation? The company has to submit the application on behalf of the employee, and submit a stack of paper several inches thick.

Edited by bino

Wow ....where are you living jaidam ?? my location makes me go to what is generally considered one of the worst immigration offices ----but there is nothing like this. Could you state where you are so Ubonjoe & others can comment on this "New" development.

Thank you..................................coffee1.gif

I never heard about these neighbours documents we have to provide for extension visa (thai spouse) too ?

Must be just where you are , I just did mine no mention of anything close to that , just same stuff as I do every year..

Just ask Jaidam under who the 90 day reporting was revived. Guess he will stay silent then. But the problem with Thai officials is that they all have their small kingdoms and make their own rules. So its possible what he says but it certainly is not a new rule.

When I was trying to have a divorce one amphur wanted a translation and certification of my passport.. an other said could only be done in the original amphur (lie) and an other just did it without the certification of the translation and even laughed at the translation.

So they all make up their rules and there is not much you can do about it.

what are you talking about? please explain! been here over twenty years on a non "O" visa (retirement ) and have never had to get anything from a neighbor? where are you living?

No great loss. His cartoons are about as funny as blood in your stool anyway.

Whether you like Stephff or not is irrelevant. This is about the decline of whatever freedoms thailand once had.

If they took away your little push bike you would be rather indignant wouldn't you?

I just got a call 25 minutes ago from the Foreign Ministry . They said that the Director-General didn't realize I was working for the Nation .

This sounds like massive back pedaling and face saving from the Director General.

How could the labour department not know that he works for the Nation? The company has to submit the application on behalf of the employee, and submit a stack of paper several inches thick.

They couldn't read English nor French...