Brazilian man arrested in Bangkok for cheque fraud

snoop1130

Brazilian man arrested in Bangkok for cheque fraud

post-249866-0-22498300-1454506473_thumb.

BANGKOK:-- A Brazilian man has been arrested after trying to cash almost 16 million baht worth of cheques at a bank in Bangkok, Immigration police announced on Wednesday.

Commissioner Pol Lt Gen Natthorn Prosunthorn told reporters that Carlos Augusto Saenz Lopes De Meida was arrested at Citibank in Silom as he tried to cash 15,575,000 THB in cheques.

Police found him in possession of a fake Italian passport in the name of Mr Christian Lassen.

Police believe the Brazilian is a member of a gang who hacked Mr Lassen's Bank of America bank account and transferred approximately 27 million baht from the account into a Citibank account set up by the gang.

The Brazilian man then visited Citibank and posed as Mr Lassen using the fake passport in order to try and cash the cheques but not before staff at the branch became suspicious and contacted police.

Officials from the Italian Embassy later confirmed the passport was counterfeit.

The Brazilian man was also found to be in possession of a further 5 counterfeit passports, 13 credit cards, 2 bank books and 2 mobile phones.

Thai media reports the Brazilian man later confessed his involvement in the crime.

post-137452-0-25011600-1454506893_thumb.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png
-- 2016-02-03

"Commissioner Pol Lt Gen Natthorn Prosunthorn told reporters that Carlos Augusto Saenz Lopes De Meida was arrested at Citibank in Silom as he tried to cash 15,575,000 THB in cheques."

Greedy and stupid.

If only all criminals were like this.

Edited by Bluespunk

Good luck to him trying to get 16 millions out of a Thai bank, I get the crooked eye routine every time

I try to send a paltry sum of money to my friend in up country Thailand.... and with a name like

Carlos Augusto Saenz Lopes De Meida..... ( Make up your minds what name to call you already )

Did it take 50 officers to catch this guy, he's faster than those Damn Bridge playing card sharks playing for a box of depends.

You have to remember the Bridge players are hardened thugs who could get really nasty. This is only a guy trying to con millions of Baht out of the bank.

Good luck to him trying to get 16 millions out of a Thai bank, I get the crooked eye routine every time

I try to send a paltry sum of money to my friend in up country Thailand.... and with a name like

Carlos Augusto Saenz Lopes De Meida..... ( Make up your minds what name to call you already )

Now you make a very good point. If they are somehow transferring money they must be doing it with some banking help. really nothing stops it except the bank guy not pushing the send button right? Or are there other checks along the way?

If this guy had really thought this through, it might have occurred to him that he should try cashing it in country with a nicer prison system, just in case he gets caught -- maybe a Scandinavian country. I suspect he'll get sent back to Europe at some point to face charges there, but he's committed a crime in Thailand, so the Thai system will have their say first about him doing some time in in the Bangkok Hilton.

• 2 months later...