Thai Consulate Closed 1 Week

Hi Guys,

Just a warning for anyone wanting to renew their visa in the coming week not to bother coming over here to Penang, Kuala Lumpur, Langkawi or Khota Bharu for the next few days as the consulates are closed until the 26th due to the Deepavali and end of Ramadan celebrations. They reopen on the 26th October.

Hope this helps anyone thinking of traveling here as I didnt know myself until arriving yesterday, lucky for me though that they (NJ Bookstore, Penang) were able to do my visa via express (extra 80 ringit) otherwise I would have been stuck till next weekend.

Falcon

Edited by george

Hi Guys,

Just a warning for anyone wanting to renew their visa in the coming week not to bother coming over here to Penang, Kuala Lumpur, Langkawi or Khota Bharu for the next few days as the consulates are closed until the 26th due to the Deepavali and end of Ramadan celebrations. They reopen on the 26th October.

Hope this helps anyone thinking of traveling here as I didnt know myself until arriving yesterday, lucky for me though that they (NJ Bookstore, Penang) were able to do my visa via express (extra 80 ringit) otherwise I would have been stuck till next weekend.

Falcon

What are the deadlines at NJ for express visa service - passport in by - passport back by?

A little exageration here.

The consulates are closed for 3 days, Mon - Wed.

It always pays to check on Thai and local holidays as Embassies/Consulates will take them all. :o

That's what the OP actually said....

Reminder:

Monday October 23 is a public holiday in Thailand:

Chulalongkorn Memorial Day

More Public holidays 2006:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=53726

Public holidays 2007:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=73362

George I went to have a look at your list of Public Holidays and I noticed that quite a few of the holidays were not actual public holidays as far as I am aware - Chinese New Year, Loy Krathong, Christmas Day - is this list intended as a guide or as a list for businesses to recognise official public holidays?

Actually the OP headlined it as "Closed 1 Week". In any case it is normally a very bad time to find hotel rooms in Georgetown at end of Ramadan so it is good to get the word out.

Yes this is not a good time to try to do business or travel in Malaysia and Indonesia.

I reside in Thailand and work in Aceh, Indonesia. This time of Eid-al-Fitr is a time when many businesses close down for a week or so and many people take their annual holidays.

Although the recognised holidays are next Monday through Wednesday all 3 of our offices in Sumatra/Aceh have closed for the week from yesterday (Friday) afternoon until Monday week and our local staff have gone home to their families in other parts of the country.

Actually the OP headlined it as "Closed 1 Week". In any case it is normally a very bad time to find hotel rooms in Georgetown at end of Ramadan so it is good to get the word out.

Yes, I was aware of the headline but the bulk of the posting informed us that the Consulate was closed for three days.

Edited by Artisan

hi,

No problem, better to be forewarned than to arrive here and have to spend a week here. Hotels are more expensive due to the holidays too, the continental is (from today - Saturday) 137 ringit instead of the normal 98 ringit and is also fully booked til next week.

The reason that I said the consulate was closed for a week was simple, they closed yesterday and wont reopen until the 26th, therefore closed for 6 day - bieng almost a week, but I suppose not quite if people want to split hairs.

Falcon

Thanks falcon, I appreciate the heads up, i will be applying for a visa in penang next week. Ta