British-led Card Room raided by officials in South Pattaya

webfact

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

80 army and police rush in for a game of Bridge must have been a right laugh when they discover no money on the tables to be made are the Junta getting more stupid by the hour or what and who ordered such a ridiculous raid on foreigners playing a game of bridge provided any of soldiers/police can count to 120 cards to find if the law has been broken there will be a few medals issued for this gallant and fearless raid a few soldiers / police sticking out there chests to have a medal pinned on it, and to think a few hundred feet away from the crazed bridge playing pensioners killings and muggings corruption payments being made illegal brothels where prostitutes being paid money for sexual services going at full kilter.

No matter what you think of the current govt, it is going a bit far to blame this farce on the general and friends.

You don't get to be a general by being this stupid !

I think the blame clearly stops at Keystone, sorry, Pattaya police station ....

The video did not show a heavy handed raid by 50 army and police personnel.- more a stroll through the room to look and learn what was going on, by a handful of people.

The 5,000baht was bail. Since the case has been dropped, the bail money will be returned (most likely by cheque though ) as is par for the course.

Dont blame the police or army -they were only carrying out orders. Blame the instigator.

Instigator of the orders - or instigator of the bridge club ?..... your post isn't clear on that.

50 Officers? where were the other two? A deck has 52 cards so its obvious the cops were not playing with a full deck.

Very funny elgordo! About sums it up!!

Well there would not have been any "ace" detectives, but probably lots of jokers in the pack.

80 army and police rush in for a game of Bridge must have been a right laugh when they discover no money on the tables to be made are the Junta getting more stupid by the hour or what and who ordered such a ridiculous raid on foreigners playing a game of bridge provided any of soldiers/police can count to 120 cards to find if the law has been broken there will be a few medals issued for this gallant and fearless raid a few soldiers / police sticking out there chests to have a medal pinned on it, and to think a few hundred feet away from the crazed bridge playing pensioners killings and muggings corruption payments being made illegal brothels where prostitutes being paid money for sexual services going at full kilter.

No matter what you think of the current govt, it is going a bit far to blame this farce on the general and friends.

You don't get to be a general by being this stupid !

I think the blame clearly stops at Keystone, sorry, Pattaya police station ....

The police AND army were involved in this ludicrous raid so yes, we can and should blame the army authorities. They're hand in glove with the cops now that they're unable to pursue them for corruption in any meaningful way i.e. right to the top of the monkey tree - in case connections are found across the two chains of command.

This actually made the national TV news, even had the police video. A bunch of confused old folks playing Bridge.

Unclear what crime was committed, anyone know?

The offense relates to Section 8 of the Playing Cards Act of 1935 which states that an individual is not allowed to possess more than 120 playing cards at any one time. At the Bridge event, considerably more than 120 playing cards were found by officers.

I don't see the problem here except for the number of officers involved in the arrest. These people are criminals who broke the law. They knew they were committing a crime but obviously thought as affluent foreigners they were above the law or were too culturally insensitive to care. If you live in a country you should follow its laws and customs regardless of whether you agree with them or not. If you do not want to do that face the consequences or go somewhere else. I bet many of these would be the first to whine about foreigners in their on country flaunting the laws and refusing to conform to cultural norms.

I presume you were already aware of this 1935 law then? I find it unlikely that anyone thought they were breaking any laws.

The question here is to wonder who annoyed someone enough to then persuade 50 policemen to "scour the lawbooks" and then raid the place!

I think that you have it backwards. They raided the place, then they "scoured the law books" to find a charge to save face.

Pathetic. Pattaya police must have nothing to do. Oh wait a minute didn't they get told off the other day for dragging their heels on 600 outstanding criminal cases.

This is one of them , top priority.

I actually hope this story is reported abroad in newspapers and on the television. Thailand needs to be shamed and scoffed for this silly use of law enforcement. Especially when scores of murders, assaults, and rapes go unsolved due a lack of effort and interest.

Honestly, do you actually think it would make any difference? It would just focus attention on people spreading videos. The concept of being shamed OUTSIDE THAILAND, I don't think that registers. What does register? THE CASH REGISTER.
Stick to reporting on food JT!

The informant was a farang or a thai ? how much he got for sharing this information ?

Well, 5000 baht fine x 32 players = 160000 baht So maybe 5000 baht for the informant

Have you seen how vehemently the thai police pursue gambling? I've seen case in the media where the local thai granny were playing round of Hi-Lo at a funeral or something and once the police arrive, a chase breakout keystone-cop styled too, Ended up with granny jumping into the ditch or something...

Sorry to spoil your fun but my wife called me to the TV this morning to watch this news item. A LOT of money was found on the premises which is why there were 50 friends and helpers investigating.

Its a restaurant, they sell food and drink. Most of any money would be theirs.

The rented space would contain no money related to the bridge players since its duplicate bridge, played by almost every country in the world, where there is no gambling involved.

There might have been a small amount that is collected before the game from each player to pay expenses.

I imagine (and hope) that you are correct. The fact remains that there must be a compelling reason for over 50 police to have turned up.

"Over 50 officers stormed the premises and found 8 tables and 32 foreign nationals, consisting of 26 men and 6 women who were playing the popular card game “Bridge”."

Compelling Reason = 32 x 5000 baht = 160,000 baht

Nuff said?

The offense relates to Section 8 of the Playing Cards Act of 1935 which states that an individual is not allowed to possess more than 120 playing cards at any one time. At the Bridge event, considerably more than 120 playing cards were found by officers.

So, at least one of the thirty people in the room was in possession of more than 120 cards?

One picture worth a thousand words. I am trying to imagine the reaction of the clientele of this den of iniquity when fifty police and army heavies came crashing through the door! Oddly enough, international bridge tournaments are a regular feature at one of the big hotels just down the road from where I live. Presumably, nobody has yet tipped off the local plods.

I want to know how the Thai Bridge association is going to handle this. Two decks per

table, everyone getting arrested whenever two tables (8 people) get together to play.

Someone should call to report the crime whenever a tournament is being played.

The hotel manager should be arrested as well. coffee1.gif

I actually hope this story is reported abroad in newspapers and on the television. Thailand needs to be shamed and scoffed for this silly use of law enforcement. Especially when scores of murders, assaults, and rapes go unsolved due a lack of effort and interest.

Honestly, do you actually think it would make any difference? It would just focus attention on people spreading videos. The concept of being shamed OUTSIDE THAILAND, I don't think that registers. What does register? THE CASH REGISTER.
Stick to reporting on food JT!

Thanks for noticing. Any hot and tasty tips? Please post on the "Hit and Run" restaurant "review" thread.

i do wish the police would get it right bridge has been played here as long as i can remember it is not a gambling game it is a points game no money changes hands .

The authorities attempting to Bridge the xenophobic gap between elderly expats and the BIB.

Archived