British-led Card Room raided by officials in South Pattaya

webfact

I love the country and people of Thailand. But why oh why do they keep shooting themselves in the foot. This is nothing but an embarrassment for the Pattaya police. I expect that when this gets to court it will be thrown out as it should BUT this is Thailand so who knows?

I will leave you with this song (Britain's Christmas No 1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8qHXlShfUQ

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All were jailed for 12 hours and made to pay 5000 baht to secure their own release...at 03:00am.

good god.

If the various embassies don't get involved in this then I'll be disgusted.

What an awful way to treat old people.

I thought Thais were supposed to revere the elderly, or does that exclude farang elderly?

This country has become a scary place in recent times.

All the (funny) comments on this thread aside, there must be more to this, a lot more, I imagine, as Thai Police are not that stupid and eager to waste their resources like they seem to have done here.

To be continued...

160K for an afternoon's work....does't sound like a waste of time to me....

Sorry guys, no matter where you go, laws are laws. Stupid or not, I don't chew gum in Singapore either.

Sorry, csabo, since when is bridge against the law? Even in the Land of Silliness. Get a grip dude! We're talking about BRIDGE here!!!

Can't believe some of these utterly vacuous posts.

One law for the Pattaya dweller and another for the members of the Royal Bangkok Sport club who have a cards room

image_0_1403161532.jpg

image_0_1403160271.jpg

Don't do as I do, do as I say.

That's Khun Ying Chod Choy (Esther C.Sophonpanich). Nice lady and president of the Asia Pacific Bridge Federation. And from what I have heard she was all over this when it happened. So no, not different laws, just a complete lack of research by the local police before charging in to make a raid.

The video did not show a heavy handed raid by 50 army and police personnel.- more a stroll through the room to look and learn what was going on, by a handful of people.

The 5,000baht was bail. Since the case has been dropped, the bail money will be returned (most likely by cheque though ) as is par for the course.

Dont blame the police or army -they were only carrying out orders. Blame the instigator.

They better raid all the 7-11 shops then as im sure that's where my wife said she bought cards before!!

But on another note a friend of mine was looking for dice to play some game that the Dutch play but he couldn't find any in large numbers. I know they can be ordered from abroad in large amounts , I wonder if they would make it through customs.biggrin.png

While no money might have been on the Bridge tables and no money was being played for, playing for prizes is considered as gambling and that seems to be what occurred here. We can debate the seriousness of offences and the police numbers involved for ever but the reality is that Thai laws were broken and someone could have and should have checked beforehand.

Oh Dear- Most reputable bridge clubs don't play for prizes. It is for honor and glory. Far, far more important

Sorry guys, no matter where you go, laws are laws. Stupid or not, I don't chew gum in Singapore either.

Oh for goodness sake! Pound to a penny you were the teacher's pet at school and used to get your aris kicked regularly by your classmates.

They better raid all the 7-11 shops then as im sure that's where my wife said she bought cards before!!

But on another note a friend of mine was looking for dice to play some game that the Dutch play but he couldn't find any in large numbers. I know they can be ordered from abroad in large amounts , I wonder if they would make it through customs.biggrin.png

Always found in sports shops.

The video did not show a heavy handed raid by 50 army and police personnel.- more a stroll through the room to look and learn what was going on, by a handful of people.

The 5,000baht was bail. Since the case has been dropped, the bail money will be returned (most likely by cheque though ) as is par for the course.

Dont blame the police or army -they were only carrying out orders. Blame the instigator.

Wrong - they deserve plenty of blame.

As others have pointed out - the blame is not for investigating or even launching the "raid" - it is for continuing with the case and hauling them off to jail when they knew they had nothing to stick them with.

The officers had to push their way through 300 prostitutes on the third floor, 80 ganja sellers on the second floor and a hundred go-go dancers on the first floor to finally arrest the geriatric illegal bridge players on the fourth floor.

T

While no money might have been on the Bridge tables and no money was being played for, playing for prizes is considered as gambling and that seems to be what occurred here. We can debate the seriousness of offences and the police numbers involved for ever but the reality is that Thai laws were broken and someone could have and should have checked beforehand.

Can't you people nitpicking see how ridiculous you sound? With all the crime going on in Pattaya the fuzz choose to raid a group of codgers (I'm 71) playing bridge.

I bet there are hundreds of bridge clubs throughout Thailand and wouldn't be surprised if there weren't Thais taking part in international tournaments.

No, this is a huge own goal for the Thai police force and we could do without people like you condoning their stupidity.

I was one of the players detained and taken to the police station. We were held there from 18:00 to 03:00.

Here is the Thailand Bridge League site:
http://www.thailandbridgeleague.com/

I showed that site to the police and army officers during the raid.

Here is the World Bridge Federation site:
http://www.worldbridge.org/

From that site:
"In 1966, FEBF [Far East Bridge Federation] represented by its zonal champion, Thailand, made its first appearance in the Bermuda Bowl [world championship]"

Here is an advertisement for the Pattaya Bridge Club from 2007:
http://www.pattayapeople.com/clubs-associations/Pattaya-Bridge-Club
Then, as now, NO prizes. NO stakes. NO winnings, cash or otherwise.

To answer some of the foolish statements made here:

1. We are are not "confused old folks"; indeed, one player arrested is a retired Professor of Engineering and past winner of the International Bridge Press Association award for Best Played Hand of the Year. He is confused about nothing. I am not "an old aged pensioner" and I have represented my country in international bridge tournaments.

2. "These people are criminals who broke the law. They knew they were committing a crime but obviously thought as affluent foreigners they were above the law or were too culturally insensitive to care"

The Pattaya Bridge Club has been running prize-free, cash-free, small duplicates since 1994. It was founded by retired British Consul Barry Kenyon.

3. The club does not, and never has, paid protection money to anyone.

4. There were eight tables of four players; each table had two duplicate boards containing 52 cards.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duplicate_bridge

5. "A LOT of money was found on the premises which is why there were 50 friends and helpers investigating."

A lot of money was NOT found on the premises. Small bridge clubs all over the world charge a modest fee per player, called "table money". In the case of the Pattaya Bridge Club this goes to paying for air conditioning, water, cleaning, stationary etc. Alto's Restaurant, downstairs, supplies food and drink to anyone. It is not part of the bridge club.

More facts:

We were released at 03:00 last night (Thur morning, 4th Feb) after signing a confession to gambling and paying 5,000b each. This was on legal advice; we could contest and change this plea at the court hearing scheduled for 10:30 same day. The alternative was to dispute and be detained indefinitely. One lady refused to sign; she had the money but would not "confess" to a thing she had not done. She was detained and I have not seen her since.

Khun Ying Sophonpanich (President of the Asia Pacific Bridge Federation) came down from BKK this morning and "persuaded" the police to drop the gambling charges. No one went to court and we were free to leave. We may get the 5,000b back; this is unresolved.

There is more, but Jeremy Watson, club manager, is facing other charges, so I had best await developments.

I actually hope this story is reported abroad in newspapers and on the television. Thailand needs to be shamed and scoffed for this silly use of law enforcement. Especially when scores of murders, assaults, and rapes go unsolved due a lack of effort and interest.

I actually hope this story is reported abroad in newspapers and on the television. Thailand needs to be shamed and scoffed for this silly use of law enforcement. Especially when scores of murders, assaults, and rapes go unsolved due a lack of effort and interest.

Honestly, do you actually think it would make any difference? It would just focus attention on people spreading videos. The concept of being shamed OUTSIDE THAILAND, I don't think that registers. What does register? THE CASH REGISTER.

I was one of the players detained and taken to the police station. We were held there from 18:00 to 03:00.

Here is the Thailand Bridge League site:

http://www.thailandbridgeleague.com/

I showed that site to the police and army officers during the raid.

Here is the World Bridge Federation site:

http://www.worldbridge.org/

From that site:

"In 1966, FEBF [Far East Bridge Federation] represented by its zonal champion, Thailand, made its first appearance in the Bermuda Bowl [world championship]"

Here is an advertisement for the Pattaya Bridge Club from 2007:

http://www.pattayapeople.com/clubs-associations/Pattaya-Bridge-Club

Then, as now, NO prizes. NO stakes. NO winnings, cash or otherwise.

To answer some of the foolish statements made here:

1. We are are not "confused old folks"; indeed, one player arrested is a retired Professor of Engineering and past winner of the International Bridge Press Association award for Best Played Hand of the Year. He is confused about nothing. I am not "an old aged pensioner" and I have represented my country in international bridge tournaments.

2. "These people are criminals who broke the law. They knew they were committing a crime but obviously thought as affluent foreigners they were above the law or were too culturally insensitive to care"

The Pattaya Bridge Club has been running prize-free, cash-free, small duplicates since 1994. It was founded by retired British Consul Barry Kenyon.

3. The club does not, and never has, paid protection money to anyone.

4. There were eight tables of four players; each table had two duplicate boards containing 52 cards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duplicate_bridge

5. "A LOT of money was found on the premises which is why there were 50 friends and helpers investigating."

A lot of money was NOT found on the premises. Small bridge clubs all over the world charge a modest fee per player, called "table money". In the case of the Pattaya Bridge Club this goes to paying for air conditioning, water, cleaning, stationary etc. Alto's Restaurant, downstairs, supplies food and drink to anyone. It is not part of the bridge club.

More facts:

We were released at 03:00 last night (Thur morning, 4th Feb) after signing a confession to gambling and paying 5,000b each. This was on legal advice; we could contest and change this plea at the court hearing scheduled for 10:30 same day. The alternative was to dispute and be detained indefinitely. One lady refused to sign; she had the money but would not "confess" to a thing she had not done. She was detained and I have not seen her since.

Khun Ying Sophonpanich (President of the Asia Pacific Bridge Federation) came down from BKK this morning and "persuaded" the police to drop the gambling charges. No one went to court and we were free to leave. We may get the 5,000b back; this is unresolved.

There is more, but Jeremy Watson, club manager, is facing other charges, so I had best await developments.

Thanks for the information.

This act by the Pattaya BIBs has gotta win some sort of award. I mean they have almost zero credibility as it is but this one surely takes the cake and wins the award for the most ridiculous raid /arrest in living memory.

Archived