What up with the contempt for poor people?

drronnie

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr Ronnie - witnessing a couple of incidents of possibly rude behavior is not really a "new mentality" - I live in the countryside and do not see anything like this going on... people are still smiling and friendly.

what i might chalk up to a new mentality is the number of employees I see staring at their cellphones...

The motorcycle taxi guys look at me with contempt when I pay for their 25 Baht service in one Baht coins. You would think they should be grateful that I am providing change they can use with future customers.

The 7/11 cashiers smile gratefully when I pay for my stuff using coins, but the people in the queue behind me look at me in contempt - while the cashier counts my coins.

What am I doing wrong?

When you pay for a tuk-tuk with 1 baht coins, you are announcing the chances of a tip are zero. So you are looked on as a Cheap Charlie.

It's just a hypothesis; however, I've noticed the aircon and fans are usually directed across the counter. Perhaps you should consider changing your underarm deodorant.laugh.png

We know appearances are important here so why go out looking like a homeless person unless you want people to avoid you. People are not equal and things are not fair, never have been and never will be. You can learn to play this very simple game here in Thailand or you can sit and complain about life being unfair.

What do homeless people in Thailand look like?

And is your idea of a homeless person the same as a Thais idea of a homeless person?

Most of the old losers posting here think sandals and socks are the way to go ........

Ever seen a Thai person wearing sandals and socks?

So you judge a book by its cover.

My landlord wears sandals and socks. So do I. They are comfortable.

He owns property in England, Malaysia, Sydney Harbour, and Chiang Mai. His house in the middle of the Old City is worth about 30 million baht alone. He wouldn't regard himself as a loser. Neither do I. If you and I had a pissing contest on assets, I'm fairly confident who would come out in front.

For a guy who prides himself on his superior education, you sometimes make comments which make you look like a total prat.

drronnie, rather than look at what you perceive to be Thai attitudes on this matter, which any case rely on interpreting often subtle behaviours in a culture that is not your own, look at the attitudes to the poor here on TVF.

This forum has a very special form of bile and disdain for anyone who falls on hard times or god forbid resorts to begging.

Trawl through the posts referencing 'faring/expat begged/living rough/can't afford medical care .. etc'

You'll see the worst of TVF in all its glory.

There are also a number of people on this forum who display the same bile and disdain for anyone lucky enough to be rich.

Despite most people wishing they were.

But heaven forbid you start telling people how well off you are on here.

You must be fairly new to Thailand. In fact it's a better more egalitarian society than it was 30 yeas ago - not a lot better, just better. The attitude you describe, and it goes much deeper, has always been here. It's embraced as part of the culture. If you are rich you likely had a good past life and are being rewarded. Even if you do wrong, it's really not a big deal as that is your privilege. Goodness, even the poor look down on the poor ... the country girl from the Singburi looks down on those from Isarn and those from Isarn look down on Khmer speakers from Sisaket etc. The symbols are all there: how you speak, the color of your skin, manners and behaviour etc. These and other things are used to categorize and fit each person in th box they belong. As foreigners we live outside of the culture completely and are not expected to comply, a fact which we should be greatful for. Our role is to be nice and be generous with our money. When we are neither of these we are effectively useless and looked on with contempt ... which often is not unreasonable as its their country and we are here at their sufferance.

The motorcycle taxi guys look at me with contempt when I pay for their 25 Baht service in one Baht coins. You would think they should be grateful that I am providing change they can use with future customers.

The 7/11 cashiers smile gratefully when I pay for my stuff using coins, but the people in the queue behind me look at me in contempt - while the cashier counts my coins.

What am I doing wrong?

Worrying about what others think.

Our role is to be nice and be generous with our money. When we are neither of these we are effectively useless and looked on with contempt ... which often is not unreasonable as its their country and we are here at their sufferance.

That's really sad.

Edited by BudRight

drronnie, rather than look at what you perceive to be Thai attitudes on this matter, which any case rely on interpreting often subtle behaviours in a culture that is not your own, look at the attitudes to the poor here on TVF.

This forum has a very special form of bile and disdain for anyone who falls on hard times or god forbid resorts to begging.

Trawl through the posts referencing 'faring/expat begged/living rough/can't afford medical care .. etc'

There are also a number of people on this forum who display the same bile and disdain for anyone lucky enough to be rich.

Definition of "rich" is required as well as "well off"

As is the case with many of the annoyances here, it comes down to education. Studies show lower educated people tend to view wealthy people as somehow being better humans that theyre supposed to look up to. Couple this with the fact that money seems to have a little more importance and is more talked about in Thai culture.

Definition of "rich" is required as well as "well off"

Easy. "Rich" is when you have so much money that you don't talk or brag about to anyone. "Well off" is knowing when you have all you need, are happy about it and don't feel compelled to brag about having more than you have.

There are many advantages to being wealthy, one of which is not caring what other people think about you.

Of course some people do still care, they particularly care that others perceive them as wealthy.

I make no excuse for people's spite and envy, but my advice on the matter is, if you concerned that you might attract negative comments here on TVF after telling the forum you are wealthy... don't tell them your wealthy.

POOR people dont buy Coke and if they do they arent poor, many of the "poor" arent really, just substitute " poor" for "bone idle"

Coke and Pepsi are the cheapest drinks available in Thailand at around 20bht/l.

If they aren't for the poor, then who are they for?

Wiiiiilllddddddd quess... for anyone who like to drink them?

POOR people dont buy Coke and if they do they arent poor, many of the "poor" arent really, just substitute " poor" for "bone idle"

There are many drinks cheaper than Coke or Pepsi--olean, coconut water, many sugar water drinks, Chinese tea, etc., even a shot of lao cao or nam tam mao. I even know a place which sells draught Chang for B20. While I agree Chang is only for the poor, the others may not be.

The fatties?

thai's do get weird when you pay in change
they think it means you are poor, or are acting like your poor, and you get embarrassed laughs or refusal to count the change and just drop it in the can etc

the usual insecure type stuff

of course, you can always pay in coinage without problems. any currency has to be accepted without question.

Is it new? i though rich people always looked down on poor people.

Understood but middle class or poor people should not be looked down at by department store staff. Is the 500 Baht of the non hiso worth less?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

yes, yes it is.

There are many advantages to being wealthy, one of which is not caring what other people think about you.

Of course some people do still care, they particularly care that others perceive them as wealthy.

I make no excuse for people's spite and envy, but my advice on the matter is, if you concerned that you might attract negative comments here on TVF after telling the forum you are wealthy... don't tell them your wealthy.

And don't tell them that you are poor, living on 40k THB / month, middle class or have only 2-3 million bahts to spend for a business, you will get all the hate people have to offer. Just look at the various topics here, e.g. the "Thai Elite Visa program", the "1,5 mb business", etc.

There are many drinks cheaper than Coke or Pepsi--olean, coconut water, many sugar water drinks, Chinese tea, etc., even a shot of lao cao or nam tam mao. I even know a place which sells draught Chang for B20. While I agree Chang is only for the poor, the others may not be.

If poor is a requirement to drink Chang, I'd rather be classified as poor. It's beside Leo and Carlsberg black my favorite beer of all times. I got through all German beers to find my favorite.

waters cheaper by a long way