My Labrador is suffering from hair loss due to a blood parasite.

Mobi

As far as I can find out, hair loss is NOT a symptom of erlichiosis. I had four dogs diagnosed with it three or four years back, and the obvious symptoms were loss of appetite, lethargy and anaemia. Diagnosis was by a blood test. The treatment given by my vet worked; sorry I don't know the names of the medications, but an antibiotic was given for four weeks, coupled with blood reinforcement pills.

I do not think Mobi's dog is suffering from this.... but I'm not a vet, and one lives and learns!

My guess is that the white pills are antihistamine to stop allergies and are useless in the case of your dog. Problem is that it`s a vicious circle. Each time the dog licks, scratches and bites it`s self the dog becomes infected and can end up fatal from blood poisoning.

Check your dog for the following:

Part or brush over the fur with your fingers. Do you notice any white flakes that have the appearance of dandruff? Like in the photo but may not be so obvious. If you do it means the dog has a microscopic parasite that cannot be seen with the naked eye known as walking dandruff.
http://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Health/Cheyletiellosis.aspx

They borrow into the skin, the white flakes being dead skin. Apply Advocate to your dog., the parasites will be eradicated within 40 minutes.

Does your dog have a bad odor? If so it could be a sign of fungus. Have the dog skin scraped for a fungus detection. If it does have fungus this can be treated by medication, shampoos and anti fungus tablets.

Whatever, apply the Advocate anyway, (not Frontline) I am certain it will solve the problem. Also bathing the dog once a week relieves the itching.

post-246045-0-10247200-1454669788_thumb.

post-246045-0-18441000-1454669802_thumb.

Thanks for all that, I have brushed his coat with my fingers and a flea comb but there is no sign of white flakes or dandruff on his skin. He doesn't have a bad smell. In fact, he is quite fit and healthy with plenty of energy.

We can't see any sign of mites or parasites in his skin - and my wife is pretty good at spotting anything if it's visible to the naked eye.

We changed from frontline to revolution this month. (see attached pics). Is Advocate available in Thailand? Is it better than Revolution?

He was bathed recently, but we'll do it again this weekend.

post-25991-0-20504100-1454671998_thumb.j

post-25991-0-81956200-1454672000_thumb.j

My guess is that the white pills are antihistamine to stop allergies and are useless in the case of your dog. Problem is that it`s a vicious circle. Each time the dog licks, scratches and bites it`s self the dog becomes infected and can end up fatal from blood poisoning.

Check your dog for the following:

Part or brush over the fur with your fingers. Do you notice any white flakes that have the appearance of dandruff? Like in the photo but may not be so obvious. If you do it means the dog has a microscopic parasite that cannot be seen with the naked eye known as walking dandruff.

http://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Health/Cheyletiellosis.aspx

They borrow into the skin, the white flakes being dead skin. Apply Advocate to your dog., the parasites will be eradicated within 40 minutes.

Does your dog have a bad odor? If so it could be a sign of fungus. Have the dog skin scraped for a fungus detection. If it does have fungus this can be treated by medication, shampoos and anti fungus tablets.

Whatever, apply the Advocate anyway, (not Frontline) I am certain it will solve the problem. Also bathing the dog once a week relieves the itching.

Hard to fathom that you really believe any of this to be useful advice.

Thanks for all that, I have brushed his coat with my fingers and a flea comb but there is no sign of white flakes or dandruff on his skin. He doesn't have a bad smell. In fact, he is quite fit and healthy with plenty of energy.

We can't see any sign of mites or parasites in his skin - and my wife is pretty good at spotting anything if it's visible to the naked eye.

We changed from frontline to revolution this month. (see attached pics). Is Advocate available in Thailand? Is it better than Revolution?

He was bathed recently, but we'll do it again this weekend.

attachicon.gifIMG_3073red.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3074red.JPG

The mites are not viable to the naked eye, only under the microscope. Always use Advocate on my dogs, works perfectly. Never used Revolution. As I said the white flakes are not always obvious especially if the dog has a light coloured coat.

The best method is to take your dog to an animal hospital that has the facilities to carry out tests. Otherwise the longer this continues the worse it will become.

As far as I can find out, hair loss is NOT a symptom of erlichiosis. I had four dogs diagnosed with it three or four years back, and the obvious symptoms were loss of appetite, lethargy and anaemia. Diagnosis was by a blood test. The treatment given by my vet worked; sorry I don't know the names of the medications, but an antibiotic was given for four weeks, coupled with blood reinforcement pills.

I do not think Mobi's dog is suffering from this.... but I'm not a vet, and one lives and learns!

Right!!! You are not a vet!!! If you don't know something about this sickness don't talk about it. Try to google and read about it before you tell something.

https://www.vetinfo.com/derlick.html - Hair loss can be a symptom of it!!!

I don't know why so much ignorant people read and talk in this topic. Just when I read about Frontline, Advocate, Revolution, ... all the medics for stupid farangs. Very expensive and help only for 1-2 weeks. This are all medics what help in europe over the summertime but not really in Thailand. And cheap medics don't gone in the european market because it damage the income of the vets.

If someone tell me something about almost everything I use the internet and inform me it is right or not. Here I read only stupid comments.No one check informations but wrote what they listen from their vet, maid, neighbour, .....!!!!

Please check every information because a wrong one can damage your dog!!!

The best medic about ticks is: ivermec/ivermectin/ivomec but not for every dog!!!

Nothing other help better!!! More infos? Google it!!! You must know what you want give to your dog!!!

Did someone check what I wrote about the yellow powder (Sulfur) yesterday? No!!! For sure not!! But read it now here:

Pharmaceutical use

Sulfur (specifically octasulfur, S8) is used in pharmaceutical skin preparations for the treatment of acne and other conditions. It acts as a keratolytic agent and also kills bacteria, fungi, scabies mites and other parasites.[66] Precipitated sulfur and colloidal sulfur are used, in form of lotions, creams, powders, soaps, and bath additives, for the treatment of acne vulgaris, acne rosacea, and seborrhoeic dermatitis.[67]

Common adverse effects include irritation of the skin at the application site, such as dryness, stinging, itching and peeling.[68]

Mechanism of action 20px-Wiki_letter_w_cropped.svg.png This section requires expansion with: the keratolysis mechanism. (March 2014)

Sulfur is converted to hydrogen sulfide (H2S) through reduction, partly by bacteria. H2S kills bacteria (possibly including Propionibacterium acnes which plays a role in acne[69]), fungi, and parasites such as scabies mites.[66]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfur

We paid 20 THB for a pack but everyone who want to buy the expensive stuff for 1.200 or more can do it!!!

I just give you this information. Think about it self what you wanna do!!

Edited by snowgard

Right!!! You are not a vet!!! If you don't know something about this sickness don't talk about it. Try to google and read about it before you tell something.

I don't know why so much ignorant people read and talk in this topic. Just when I read about Frontline, Advocate, Revolution, ... all the medics for stupid farangs. Very expensive and help only for 1-2 weeks. This are all medics what help in europe over the summertime but not really in Thailand. And cheap medics don't gone in the european market because it damage the income of the vets.

If someone tell me something about almost everything I use the internet and inform me it is right or not. Here I read only stupid comments.No one check informations but wrote what they listen from their vet, maid, neighbour, .....!!!!

The best medic about ticks is: ivermec/ivermectin/ivomec but not for every dog!!!

Nothing other help better!!! More infos? Google it!!! You must know what you want give to your dog!!!

Did someone check what I wrote about the yellow powder (Sulfur) yesterday? No!!! For sure not!! But read it now here:

Pharmaceutical use

Sulfur (specifically octasulfur, S8) is used in pharmaceutical skin preparations for the treatment of acne and other conditions. It acts as a keratolytic agent and also kills bacteria, fungi, scabies mites and other parasites.[66] Precipitated sulfur and colloidal sulfur are used, in form of lotions, creams, powders, soaps, and bath additives, for the treatment of acne vulgaris, acne rosacea, and seborrhoeic dermatitis.[67]

Common adverse effects include irritation of the skin at the application site, such as dryness, stinging, itching and peeling.[68]

Mechanism of action 20px-Wiki_letter_w_cropped.svg.png This section requires expansion with: the keratolysis mechanism. (March 2014)

Sulfur is converted to hydrogen sulfide (H2S) through reduction, partly by bacteria. H2S kills bacteria (possibly including Propionibacterium acnes which plays a role in acne[69]), fungi, and parasites such as scabies mites.[66]

We paid 20 THB for a pack but everyone who want to buy the expensive stuff for 1.200 or more can do it!!!

Well, Snowgard, I checked three sites before my last post, and none of them mentioned hair loss. Nor as far as I can see does your link, certainly not among the chief symptoms.

I am always careful to qualify any advice I give by such words as 'as far as I know' and 'I'm not a vet'.

You might do well to do the same.... or are you a vet?

Pharmaceutical use

you seem to be barking up the wrong tree,or your barking mad,and dont call us ignorant either,youve been listening to tooooooooo much bar stool talk.

all of us on here have experianced what the op is going through.so instead get off your soap box or should i say stool and give some genuine advice.

meatboy LOVE ME LOVE MY DOG.

you seem to be barking up the wrong tree,or your barking mad,and dont call us ignorant either,youve been listening to tooooooooo much bar stool talk.

all of us on here have experianced what the op is going through.so instead get off your soap box or should i say stool and give some genuine advice.

meatboy LOVE ME LOVE MY DOG.

Bars are maybe your favorite place but sure not for me. :-)

And the genuine advice I give before but it looks like your eyes stopped at IGNORANT and hang there!!! biggrin.png

Maybe you can ask your wife for a soft slap on your head so you can read the rest!!!thumbsup.gif

Have a nice day!!!

Thank you for all your replies - I am slightly overwhelmed by all the suggestions. For the moment I will carry on with the course of meds and we will wash him regularly with medicated shampoo.

If it looks like we are not getting anywhere I will look further at the alternative suggestions.

For the avoidance of doubt - Micky still has most of his hair, and the main hair loss is underneath and around his crotch area. But I can also see patches on his main coat where it is thinning out, and then there are the sores on his leg where he has licked them.

Here's some pics we took today, where you can see that the hair has thinned out around his legs.

attachicon.gif1454642908634.jpg

attachicon.gif1454642921228.jpg

attachicon.gif1454642936865.jpg

attachicon.gif1454642942291.jpg

There is blackening of the skin, hair-loss, violent itch that causes ongoing biting and scratching, which as a result causes secondary bacterial infection.

These are also symptoms of a very common fungal or yeast infection, named Malasssezia pachydermatis: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/yeast-dermatitis-in-dogs/897

This fungal lives naturally on a dog' skin but can multiply and cause harm when the immune system is weakened.

Blood parasites weaken the immune system. But also, blood parasites have a chance to multiply when the immune system is weakened. Most dogs carry a few blood- and/or intestinal- parasites. Too many parasites cause dis-ease, but a few actually can cause a strengthening of the immune system.

So, the real question for this dog is: what caused/is causing the weakening of the immune system? Blood parasites and skin issue are more likely a result of this.

What is the vaccine history of this dog? Over-vaccination can cause auto-immune (skin) diseases and problems with the thyroid ( a world-wide health issue under the dogs and heavily under-diagnosed by the vets, again worldwide, who more often than not aren't able to properly read the test results )

And one of the adverse reactions of the Rabies vaccination is ongoing violet itch, often between the toes.

And what is the dog's diet? I've seen several dogs now, including labs, with similar symptoms. All were fed chicken-based and often low-quality commercial diets (everything that is available in supermarkets is of low quality). Many dogs, worldwide are intolerant or even allergic to processed chicken protein.

The dogs, I've seen, improved considerable after switching over to a brand called 'Premium Edge skin and coat': http://www.chewy.com/dog/premium-edge-skin-coat-salmon/dp/45391

It's not cheap, but also not much more costly than Hill's Science Diet or Royal Canin. In Chiang Mai it's a 15kg bag for 2,650 baht and only available at Ran Rak Sath on the Superhighway, between the Big C Extra and the Makro, almost next to the Green Leave Petrol Station and opposite of YOK.

It is very possible the dogs would have improved on another skin-and-coat diet with the same ingredients as the PE brand as well, but my experience is with PE and I've seen at least 15 dogs with symptoms similar as show in the pictures improve on it big time.

Another option is, like what has been written above already, to try a raw food or BARF diet. I've also seen many dogs improve a lot on only switching to a raw food diet with a large variety of raw ingredients (not only chicken carcass with so once in a while a raw egg). In case, you are interested in this diet, please, do read up before you switch:

http://www.rawfeddogs.org/rawguide.html

https://www.totallyrawdogfood.com/ordering-info-tools/sample-menu/

It is also possible this dog has AND blood parasites, AND mites AND a fungal/yeast infection, all caused by a weakened immune system.

A good immune system starts in the digestive track, and ONLY HEALTHY animals can be vaccinated (something to keep in ind when the Lab is up for his next booster (according to the vet).

Thank you for all your replies - I am slightly overwhelmed by all the suggestions. For the moment I will carry on with the course of meds and we will wash him regularly with medicated shampoo.

If it looks like we are not getting anywhere I will look further at the alternative suggestions.

For the avoidance of doubt - Micky still has most of his hair, and the main hair loss is underneath and around his crotch area. But I can also see patches on his main coat where it is thinning out, and then there are the sores on his leg where he has licked them.

Here's some pics we took today, where you can see that the hair has thinned out around his legs.

attachicon.gif1454642908634.jpg

attachicon.gif1454642921228.jpg

attachicon.gif1454642936865.jpg

attachicon.gif1454642942291.jpg

There is blackening of the skin, hair-loss, violent itch that causes ongoing biting and scratching, which as a result causes secondary bacterial infection.

These are also symptoms of a very common fungal or yeast infection, named Malasssezia pachydermatis: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/yeast-dermatitis-in-dogs/897

This fungal lives naturally on a dog' skin but can multiply and cause harm when the immune system is weakened.

Blood parasites weaken the immune system. But also, blood parasites have a chance to multiply when the immune system is weakened. Most dogs carry a few blood- and/or intestinal- parasites. Too many parasites cause dis-ease, but a few actually can cause a strengthening of the immune system.

So, the real question for this dog is: what caused/is causing the weakening of the immune system? Blood parasites and skin issue are more likely a result of this.

What is the vaccine history of this dog? Over-vaccination can cause auto-immune (skin) diseases and problems with the thyroid ( a world-wide health issue under the dogs and heavily under-diagnosed by the vets, again worldwide, who more often than not aren't able to properly read the test results )

And one of the adverse reactions of the Rabies vaccination is ongoing violet itch, often between the toes.

And what is the dog's diet? I've seen several dogs now, including labs, with similar symptoms. All were fed chicken-based and often low-quality commercial diets (everything that is available in supermarkets is of low quality). Many dogs, worldwide are intolerant or even allergic to processed chicken protein.

The dogs, I've seen, improved considerable after switching over to a brand called 'Premium Edge skin and coat': http://www.chewy.com/dog/premium-edge-skin-coat-salmon/dp/45391

It's not cheap, but also not much more costly than Hill's Science Diet or Royal Canin. In Chiang Mai it's a 15kg bag for 2,650 baht and only available at Ran Rak Sath on the Superhighway, between the Big C Extra and the Makro, almost next to the Green Leave Petrol Station and opposite of YOK.

It is very possible the dogs would have improved on another skin-and-coat diet with the same ingredients as the PE brand as well, but my experience is with PE and I've seen at least 15 dogs with symptoms similar as show in the pictures improve on it big time.

Another option is, like what has been written above already, to try a raw food or BARF diet. I've also seen many dogs improve a lot on only switching to a raw food diet with a large variety of raw ingredients (not only chicken carcass with so once in a while a raw egg). In case, you are interested in this diet, please, do read up before you switch:

http://www.rawfeddogs.org/rawguide.html

https://www.totallyrawdogfood.com/ordering-info-tools/sample-menu/

It is also possible this dog has AND blood parasites, AND mites AND a fungal/yeast infection, all caused by a weakened immune system.

A good immune system starts in the digestive track, and ONLY HEALTHY animals can be vaccinated (something to keep in ind when the Lab is up for his next booster (according to the vet).

another great post by a dogs best freind NIENKE .

• 2 months later...

Well, here I am again, as Micky is not better. He seemed to improve for a while as he stopped scratching himself, but after a while, it came back again. The vet kept giving us repeat doses of meds - I think they were steroids and he stopped scratching, but over time it has gone and on and he started to get worse and he kept losing patches of hair.

I took him to another vet and he decided to shave him as he said the skin was badly infected. (see pic below). He then washed him in a special shampoo and we have been told to wash him every other day. He has also prescribed a lot of meds. I can't tell you what they are as my wife took him.

As I said before I am overwhelmed by all the advice written on this thread and I am totally confused, but I hope the pic might help an expert to see what the problem may be.

I also must add that I am simply not in a position to spend too much on Micky and I cannot afford expensive blood tests or regular special food. I spent a fortune on my Golden a few years ago and she still died. I have four dogs to take care of - the 4th is a young bulldog that I took in recently who was abandoned. I also have a wife and two kids, and I am desperately trying to make ends meet. So please do not suggest expensive remedies. Sad to say I just cannot afford it,

Yes, I probably shouldn't be in charge of these dogs in my present financial situation, but three of them have been with me since they were puppies - at a time when I could afford to take care of them properly before the world economy and conmen relieved me of my savings. What would you have me do? I just try my best. I'm not looking for sympathy - many are worse off than me, but I would appreciate any practical advice.

Thanks for any suggestions.

post-25991-0-49830000-1460637258_thumb.j

PS I should probably add that in all other respects, Micky seems to be perfectly healthy. The vet said all his vital signs are fine, he is up to date with his vaccinations but not over-vaccinated, he is dosed every month for worms, ticks etc. He has an excellent appetite and plenty of energy. We take him out everyday to some nearby fields and he runs and chases till he drops.

Edited by Mobi

Well, here I am again, as Micky is not better. He seemed to improve for a while as he stopped scratching himself, but after a while, it came back again. The vet kept giving us repeat doses of meds - I think they were steroids and he stopped scratching, but over time it has gone and on and he started to get worse and he kept losing patches of hair.

I took him to another vet and he decided to shave him as he said the skin was badly infected. (see pic below). He then washed him in a special shampoo and we have been told to wash him every other day. He has also prescribed a lot of meds. I can't tell you what they are as my wife took him.

As I said before I am overwhelmed by all the advice written on this thread and I am totally confused, but I hope the pic might help an expert to see what the problem may be.

I also must add that I am simply not in a position to spend too much on Micky and I cannot afford expensive blood tests or regular special food. I spent a fortune on my Golden a few years ago and she still died. I have four dogs to take care of - the 4th is a young bulldog that I took in recently who was abandoned. I also have a wife and two kids, and I am desperately trying to make ends meet. So please do not suggest expensive remedies. Sad to say I just cannot afford it,

Yes, I probably shouldn't be in charge of these dogs in my present financial situation, but three of them have been with me since they were puppies - at a time when I could afford to take care of them properly before the world economy and conmen relieved me of my savings. What would you have me do? I just try my best. I'm not looking for sympathy - many are worse off than me, but I would appreciate any practical advice.

Thanks for any suggestions.

attachicon.gifIMG_3366.JPG

PS I should probably add that in all other respects, Micky seems to be perfectly healthy. The vet said all his vital signs are fine, he is up to date with his vaccinations but not over-vaccinated, he is dosed every month for worms, ticks etc. He has an excellent appetite and plenty of energy. We take him out everyday to some nearby fields and he runs and chases till he drops.

That is such a sad, sad picture, I wish I were an 'expert' but after 50 years of living with dogs I can only suggest that it looks so much like an allergic reaction --- to something!? My recall isn't all it was and maybe you have checked for this. I recently experienced the difference between so-called experts and a genuine vet. My cat was the victim of a hit and run [in LOS they all seem to be hit and run] the local vet saved his life as I got him there quick enough. However the first 24hr pet hospital charged us a fortune for very little other than keeping him alive. Fortunately we found a pet hospital that really cares and for six days of intensive treatment 24/6, which has enabled him to improve with reasonable prospects for a good recovery, charged the same as one day in the original rip-off place. They are out there but you need to search them out The fact that you state that he seems to be otherwise healthy/good appetite/plenty of energy is the reason I suggest that allergic reaction is a prime indicator. His skin appears to be inflamed - does it feel warm to the touch? Has his temperature been taken? If so is it within normal readings?

Mobi, what I not understand is that you still don't know what medicals the vets give to your dog. Unbelievable for me. I let give me all the time the names of the medicals so I can check exactly what it is, sideeffects, ...!!!

I live now 8 years here. I have in the moment 4 dogs (1Thai, 3 German Sheperd Dogs) and made the same expirience like you before. I paid around 3.000 THB monthly for Frontline, Revolution, ... and the other shit, but my dogs were ill.

I paid a lot of money for the vets who treat my dogs and learned my lessons. In real no one of the vets here need to make a bloodtest because they know exactly after they saw the dog what they have but ... it's all about money!!! If one of my dogs start be sick and the symptoms looks like Erlichiosis I treat my dogs self and everything is fine.

My advice what I posted here before is the easiest and cheapest way to threat your dog but you as the owner must choose the right option:

As prevention for fleas and ticks I use Ivermec. I buy 100ml bottles for injection but give it in the food.

A lot of vets will tell you it's not save blah,,,,,,,blahh...blah.... but want give your dog a injection with the same.

For small dogs (1-20kg) you can buy tablets with Ivermec.

For treat Ehrlichiosis I have a big pack of Doxycycline (500 Capsules):

Ehrlichiose Treatment

- 5 - 10 mg/kg every 12 - 24 h vor 2 - 3 month or

- 10 mg/kg 2 × daily for 2 - 3 weeks,

A Bigpack Doxycycline cost around 600-800 THB in a pharmacy (check differents). Let your wife buy it otherwise it can be much more expensive.

For the skin treatment my thai wife bought a yellow powder (Sulfur) from a chinese pharmacy in Naklua.

Price was around 20-30 THB for a pack.

We mix it with a little water and Oliveoil and give it on the infected skin or better full body. Shower the dog before. Don't wash it out. Some days later the skin is well again and new hair comes.

Yearly costs:

100ml Ivermec for 4 dogs between 27-38kg THB 250.00 incl. Shipping

500 Doxycycline Capsules THB 600.00

Sulfur, 1 pack THB 30.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THB 880.00

The double of this I paid before just for the first vet visit. The important stuff is Ivermec. No Ticks = no health problems

i too now exactlly whats tabs are for.each tablet,doxy,predisolone,sulfa,these are what nearly all the vets will prescribe with no info when to give them,no info on the mg.after our last episode of 5months on doxy we called it a day and travelled to an animal hospital that could be trusted.we were told.

the vet could not believe he had been on doxy for 5months,[must have been cheap crap] at a cost of 380bht.for 42,one weeks supply.

the hospital gave us 2weeks doxy,then 2weeks predisolone reducing the second week.and some liver support tabs.[hepato]

given a clean bill of health after 5weeks.

mobi if the dog is eating well,drinking well, and seems well in himself,just try what member's are recomending.

Edited by meatboy

Doing my own research on the net, I am pretty sure he is suffering from atopic dermatitis - all the symptoms and images seem to fit.

To be fair to the vet, he did tell me over the phone that dermatitis is a likely cause.

Snowgard, thanks for your suggestions, I will be taking you up on them.

And thanks Meatboy for your comments, I will do as you suggest.

I have been reading up on coconut oil which is highly recommended for dogs - both internally and externally. I have some at home so I'm trying that first and over-night Micky has shown some improvement. (The red patches are not so inflamed and the sticky parts have dried up.)

Trouble is, the dogs like the taste and my bulldog keeps licking the oil off Micky's skin....