Eva Elite vs Vietnam Airlines Business

triffid

I'm looking for a return tkt for next month (of at least 2 months validity) BKK/CDG/BKK and on many criteria Vietnam business and Eva premium economy are attractive to me. From my searches online it seems that in both cases I wouldn't get a flat-bed seat; VN is likely to have more legroom but Eva seems adequate. VN is about 60k baht and Eva about 48k baht. One transits at Hanoi and the other at Taipei. (If a few days break in Hanoi/Taipei would be allowed without a penalty or with a nominal penalty that would be attractive to me).

If someone with relevant experience or views can say something to help me decide between these alternatives I shall appreciate it.

(If I've missed another option for my tkt - I've already looked into Srilanka, Turkish, Qatari, Etihad, AF/KLM, Omani and a few others - that could be helpful too.)

Edited by triffid

From a brief look Vietnam seem to fly at least one A350 to CDG and that will have flat-bed seats in J. The return flight seems to come up as being a 777 operated by Air France and I have no idea what that is like (they seem to have several different types) but perhaps with a bit of hunting you can find a return on an A350. If you can, go for it as you probably wont beat it for the price. And maybe the Air France 777 is decent?

The main thing to watch out for is being stuck on some relic operated by a cut-price airline.

From a brief look Vietnam seem to fly at least one A350 to CDG and that will have flat-bed seats in J. The return flight seems to come up as being a 777 operated by Air France and I have no idea what that is like (they seem to have several different types) but perhaps with a bit of hunting you can find a return on an A350. If you can, go for it as you probably wont beat it for the price. And maybe the Air France 777 is decent?

The main thing to watch out for is being stuck on some relic operated by a cut-price airline.

I was wondering how you can be sure that Vietnam's A-350 will have a flat bed. Their site info for business class speaks only of a recline of 159 degrees. If it is as you say then I will snap up the deal they are offering. I shall look around further on their schedules. Thanks for the time you put in.

I was wondering how you can be sure that Vietnam's A-350 will have a flat bed. Their site info for business class speaks only of a recline of 159 degrees. If it is as you say then I will snap up the deal they are offering. I shall look around further on their schedules. Thanks for the time you put in.

Based on this http://www.seatplans.com/airlines/vietnam-airlines/a350-900 and some photos I saw which had the reverse herringbone layout which as far as I know is only used on the A350 for lie-flat seats. I could be wrong.

The problem may be finding the A350 on both legs (or you could research the Air France 777 layout).

I fly that EVA class from LAX to BKK (stop in Taiwan of course). It is the only way to travel. I find the seats big and plenty of elbow room such that is really isn't possible to rub elbows with the person next to you. The seat reclines enough for me to sleep quite well, often getting 6 hours of nap time on the flight. I have not flown the Vietnam airlines but if it were a coin toss I would take what I know and go with EVA

https://ibev2.vietnamairlines.com/DOCUMENT/cpd/a350_en.html#prettyPhoto

Their business class in the a350/b787 is good. Full flat seats and friendly personal service. Seats are compfy. Business in 777 is crap. Will fly again with VN next week in the 787 business. It's worth every satang.

You're far better than I am in navigating their site. Thanks a lot for the info & forthright comments.

I fly that EVA class from LAX to BKK (stop in Taiwan of course). It is the only way to travel. I find the seats big and plenty of elbow room such that is really isn't possible to rub elbows with the person next to you. The seat reclines enough for me to sleep quite well, often getting 6 hours of nap time on the flight. I have not flown the Vietnam airlines but if it were a coin toss I would take what I know and go with EVA

Thank you for that very helpful response.

There are videos on youtube for both aircraft types i.e. A350 and B787.

Just search for Business class Vietnam Airlines on youtube.

BTW I prefer the A350.

Yermanee wai.gif

p.s. BTW it's not correct that return flights are different aircraft. Just have to choose the correct flights.

Edited by yermanee

p.s. BTW it's not correct that return flights are different aircraft. Just have to choose the correct flights.

I looked at half a dozen return flights from CDG at random and every single one was shown as being on a 777 operated by Air France. As I mentioned, this is merely what I saw and so some attention may have to be given to find something better. Outgoing was no problem with the A350 on every flight.

Flying BKK<>LHR with Vietnam is much more straightforward as all flights are scheduled with their 787, though oddly they seem to route through either HAN or SGN depending on the day of the week.

I looked at half a dozen return flights from CDG at random and every single one was shown as being on a 777 operated by Air France. As I mentioned, this is merely what I saw and so some attention may have to be given to find something better. Outgoing was no problem with the A350 on every flight.

Flying BKK<>LHR with Vietnam is much more straightforward as all flights are scheduled with their 787, though oddly they seem to route through either HAN or SGN depending on the day of the week.

Daily flight from CDG :

yermanee wai.gif

post-109269-0-04343000-1454729326_thumb.

Daily flight from CDG :

Yes, I can read a schedule too. But what I was looking at were actual tickets/availability and for all the ones I looked at the return flights seemed to be on a code-shared Air France 777. Maybe it was just the luck of the draw, or maybe there was some sort of computer/booking glitch, or maybe it was the 787 pilot's day off: I dont know nor do I care. But that's what I saw.

As for Vietnam being the best value, I think SriLankan beats them hands down (especially for my 53,000B BKK>LHR>BKK ticket) but again that's just my personal opinion. For me Vietnam would probably be the second choice.

Daily flight from CDG :

Yes, I can read a schedule too. But what I was looking at were actual tickets/availability and for all the ones I looked at the return flights seemed to be on a code-shared Air France 777. Maybe it was just the luck of the draw, or maybe there was some sort of computer/booking glitch, or maybe it was the 787 pilot's day off: I dont know nor do I care. But that's what I saw.

As for Vietnam being the best value, I think SriLankan beats them hands down (especially for my 53,000B BKK>LHR>BKK ticket) but again that's just my personal opinion. For me Vietnam would probably be the second choice.

I think a couple positives for Vietnam Air is it's a more direct flight...yes, there's a transfer but only after a one-hour connecting flight and then it's straight in to one's destination and the same on the return...non-stop flight to Vietnam and then a shot hop to Bangkok. Sri Lankan is much more out of the way and a mid-way stop so not so good for sleeping. Also, the Viet planes are brand new Dreamliners and A350s...which aircraft does Sri Lankan use on the Bangkok leg? Also, on some test dates to Frankfurt, SL shows 20k more than VA, and a very tight 1:15 hour transfer time in Colombo. (As a side note, I also noticed no sacred cows on their inflight menus.) I have no direct experience with either so these are just my thoughts from looking at the websites and reading some comments here.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Also the ways are short in Hanoi for Transit. Exit plane from bkk only 5 min later you are in the business class lounge. By the way VN has the hottest air hostesses in the new 787 i saw in the last 20 years. What a big difference to Thai.

Also the ways are short in Hanoi for Transit. Exit plane from bkk only 5 min later you are in the business class lounge. By the way VN has the hottest air hostesses in the new 787 i saw in the last 20 years. What a big difference to Thai.

You mean like these...gotta love those Vietnamese airlines and their air "hostesses"

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

I think a couple positives for Vietnam Air is it's a more direct flight...yes, there's a transfer but only after a one-hour connecting flight and then it's straight in to one's destination and the same on the return...non-stop flight to Vietnam and then a shot hop to Bangkok. Sri Lankan is much more out of the way and a mid-way stop so not so good for sleeping. Also, the Viet planes are brand new Dreamliners and A350s...which aircraft does Sri Lankan use on the Bangkok leg? Also, on some test dates to Frankfurt, SL shows 20k more than VA, and a very tight 1:15 hour transfer time in Colombo. (As a side note, I also noticed no sacred cows on their inflight menus.) I have no direct experience with either so these are just my thoughts from looking at the websites and reading some comments here.

Yes, the Vietnam flight is shorter overall and SriLankan has a long stopover on the return from LHR (though one gets a nice hotel and meals so I look at it as a free short holiday rather than a long stopover: glass half full).

Their plane for the 4-hour CMB-BKK sector is usually an A321, older but comfortable, though I did once get a new plane. The CMB-LHR sector is plenty long enough for a sleep. Vietnam also uses older planes for the short BKK leg, as far as I know.

I dont think there can be any comparison between the HAN/SGN business lounges and the CMB one. Chalk and cheese. Someone I know who flew with both companies recently said that onboard service with Sri Lankan was also better, but that's hearsay. Online reviews are also more variable for Vietnam, (usually to do with ground services). I wonder does Vietnam offer a limo service like SriLankan?

I only fly to/from LHR but for me SriLankan prices usually come in around the same price as Vietnam, and most years I buy my SriLankan tickets in their sale which shaves another 30% off.

So all in all Vietnam would be my second choice.

There was some talk recently of SriLankan cancelling European routes apart from London, but I dont know what came of that. As I mentioned, I only fly to LHR anyway.

You mean like these...gotta love those Vietnamese airlines and their air "hostesses"

The guy getting a little grope a couple of minutes in was pushing his luck :D .