Man jumps five stories to death inside Silom Complex mall

Jonathan Fairfield

Man jumps five stories to death inside Silom Complex mall

By Coconuts Bangkok

photo_21.jpg

Shoppers gather around the body of the deceased at the Silom Complex shopping mall. Photo: JS100

BANGKOK:-- A man reportedly jumped to his death from the fifth floor of the Silom Complex shopping mall about 5pm today.

Shocking customers who were doing their afternoon shopping, the unidentified man, wearing army pants, landed in the middle of the clearance sale section of Japanese retail brand Muji.

Photos of the body of the deceased have been circulating on social media.

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-02-04

Man Falls to Death at Silom Complex

By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee

Staff Reporter

14545823461454582475l.jpg

Silom Complex. Photo: Bangkok.travel

BANGKOK — A man who fell to death at Silom Complex Thursday afternoon has been described as suicide by police.

The man was identified as an ex-soldier, Sawat Yata, 55. He took his shoes off on the fifth floor before jumping, said Col.Ratchapon Chanasrikajorn, commander of a local pol.

Ratchapon said police have inspected CCTV footage and questioned witnesses.

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-02-04

With the current economy in Thailand we are going to see a lot more of this.

Cant pay for the pick up, house, feed the kids etc etc. Its all loss of face.

" Its all loss of face."

​The "one size fits all" explanation by farang bar stool sociologists for everything that happens in Thailand ... unless it involves a farang, in which case, it must have been a matter of principle or the work of a nefarious Thai. They don't know 5 words in Thai or have any unpaid Thai acquaintances, but have no problem dismissing all Thai behavior with a childish quip.

" Its all loss of face."

​The "one size fits all" explanation by farang bar stool sociologists for everything that happens in Thailand ... unless it involves a farang, in which case, it must have been a matter of principle or the work of a nefarious Thai. They don't know 5 words in Thai or have any unpaid Thai acquaintances, but have no problem dismissing all Thai behavior with a childish quip.

Calm down mate, go and join a bridge school

This is a problem for the mall and Muji since ghost wary Thai shoppers may avoid that place for a while. My wife was there when this happened since she works close by and takes the BTS adjacent this building. I often meet her there. It will be interesting to see if the number of shoppers thins out, and if the floor he landed on will be avoided.

I do know of a spot in BKK that people still hop over and go around because it was ground zero for a jumper.

" Its all loss of face."

My thoughts exactly. Not a shred of sympathy for the pain and suffering this man might have been going through that led him to make such a decision. Instead, a jab at his entire situation as "loss of face".

But maybe "never me" didn't mean it in the way sarcastic manner we see it.

Man who jumped to death at Silom mall identified as army veteran
By Coconuts Bangkok

photo_22.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The man who jumped five stories to his death inside the Silom Complex shopping mall to the horror of hundreds of shoppers was identified as a 55-year-old army veteran.

Sawas Yata was wearing military pants when he fell to his death, landing in a clearance sale booth on the first floor. His black sandals were found by the balcony on the fifth floor where he jumped.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/02/05/man-who-jumped-death-silom-mall-identified-army-veteran

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-02-05

Why can't they just go back to their room and swallow a fistful of pills? He could have killed someone else. No sympathy.

Why can't they just go back to their room and swallow a fistful of pills?

It ain't that simple...try google

Edited by Robbieseal

Photos of the body of the deceased have been circulating on social media, I think this is a shocking pastime in Thailand taking pictures of deceased people it was the same in our Soi when a person whom I knew jumped and was splattered all over the road the street was packed in no time with Thai people taking pictures as if it was some special occasion. RIP to Sawat Yata and hope none of his relatives found out about his death by some super close up pictures on Facebook, disgusting.

A man has taken his own life in a public place. Some advocate that he should have done it in private, while others use it as a springboard for sick and tasteless comments. The lack of compassion for living beings is often revealed in word and pen.

I find no humour in the pain and misery of others, and disdain for those that do.

A man has taken his own life in a public place. Some advocate that he should have done it in private, while others use it as a springboard for sick and tasteless comments. The lack of compassion for living beings is often revealed in word and pen.

I find no humour in the pain and misery of others, and disdain for those that do.

I know what you're saying but I wish people wouldn't do this in public. They really could take out other people and they create a disturbing public display. So it's kind of an act of social violence as well. Not the same as jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge.