Me, $200,000 ANd a Pattaya condo

Nomyai

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I see nothing wrong with spending $200k on a Thai condo if you have another few million elsewhere to fall back on if/when it all goes pear-shaped. Though there may be much bigger and better properties in other countries (even highly developed ones like the US) to be had for the same money or less. Of course other countries may not suit your needs.

5-10% of my net worth is all Thailand will ever get out of me. I can walk away from that and carry on elsewhere, if I have to.

Wow, this really is your lucky day.

I have one valued at 320k, but there's an emergency that will let me sell it for 240k this week.

Can you up your budget a bit a get a real steal?

Okay, look. 205k tomorrow only. PM me.

Edited by Happy Grumpy

I have one valued at 320k, but there's an emergency that will let me sell it for 240k this week.

I have this money available to give you tomorrow if the condo is still for sale, but I am stuck at bangkok airport, can I give you the number of the thai immigration here - they say if I can get just about 20,000b deposited into an account we can release this money into the country - at the moment i'm stuck.

this is a real con i've come across 2 times by the way, think its like a 404 scam - I managed to stop the thai lady sending the money one time, but the other time, a different girl had already sent 50,000b

Agreed. You can buy a pool villa in Orlando for £200k & rent it for holidays, good rental, good resale prospects, hopefully good equity in time.

Having little better to do I often watch "winter sun" property programmes on UK TV. I've seen some very attractive, well-finished, 2-3 bed houses/condos in Florida selling for little more than my Jomtien condo cost.

OK, those Florida properties can come with very high maintenance fees, or severe rental restrictions, or are situated several minutes drive from shopping areas but even so the value is there. Many are supposedly selling for half what people bought them for 8-10 years ago.

Buy in a stable country where you can actually get actual residential status, like maybe Syria or something.coffee1.gif

You may think this is a frivolous comment but it is NOT. It is very sound advice. As the following post says, look elsewhere. You just cannot sell anything

here and it has been the same for at least the past 4 years. With the current state of affairs here and the mind think herein, there is no light at the end of the

rainbow.

If you are looking for a retirement location, look elsewhere.

Unless you are in the position to and can live here I can see little benifit and much risk in buying here. Yes you may rent if you are lucky, but it seems that it is impossible to get adequate management and collection unless you do it yourself.

Yes buy your condo here as home and if you are living here a couple of cheap rentals if you like but invest for the sake of an investment no.

I went to a rubbish Real Estate seminar once but there was the

rubbish investment guru David Kosh and another man highly

respectable in giving financial advice, Ross Greenwood,

he said one line that has stuck with me forever,,,

only buy property 10 km from where you live

i wonder why ?

Agreed. You can buy a pool villa in Orlando for £200k & rent it for holidays, good rental, good resale prospects, hopefully good equity in time.

Having little better to do I often watch "winter sun" property programmes on UK TV. I've seen some very attractive, well-finished, 2-3 bed houses/condos in Florida selling for little more than my Jomtien condo cost.

OK, those Florida properties can come with very high maintenance fees, or severe rental restrictions, or are situated several minutes drive from shopping areas but even so the value is there. Many are supposedly selling for half what people bought them for 8-10 years ago.

I have some experience with Florida Real Estate. The corruption can put the Thai's to shame. Also, resale can be impossible. Be very careful.

.......it can buy you regrets for the rest of your life.....

...don't be in a hurry to 'show you have some money'.....

...especially NOT outside of this forum.....

...you will be eaten alive.....

Some may call you a cynic SOTIRIOS, I call you a realist! thumbsup.gif

I have this money available to give you tomorrow if the condo is still for sale, but I am stuck at bangkok airport, can I give you the number of the thai immigration here - they say if I can get just about 20,000b deposited into an account we can release this money into the country - at the moment i'm stuck.

this is a real con i've come across 2 times by the way, think its like a 404 scam - I managed to stop the thai lady sending the money one time, but the other time, a different girl had already sent 50,000b

You can put it into my account ;)

Heavens.

All this negativity.

Normally it would have been balanced out by the, I suspect, real estate floggers lobby.

Maybe they have gone out of business andout of Thailand.

I am very happy to have never bought. 200,000k falling into my lap?

Happy days, lots of places to go and see. Women to meet.

Blow it on an unsellable concrete box in the sky?

Oh no, thank you.

Buy in a stable country where you can actually get actual residential status, like maybe Syria or something.coffee1.gif

You may think this is a frivolous comment but it is NOT. It is very sound advice. As the following post says, look elsewhere. You just cannot sell anything

here and it has been the same for at least the past 4 years. With the current state of affairs here and the mind think herein, there is no light at the end of the

rainbow.

If you are looking for a retirement location, look elsewhere.

Quite frankly, i would keep such negatively exaggerated advice to myself. I can't advise anybody to buy property here in Thailand, or elsewhere, as the whole world economy seems to be going downwards at present. It may be the right time to buy, or the wrong time, depending on the way the world economy is going, down south or up north. Thailand is no exception, but to say that one could not sell one's property in Thailand for the last four years is simply incorrect. If you had bought a good property in Bangkok, Khon Kaen, Kao lack, or even Pattaya four years ago, even to day you could probably sell it with a small profit. Nobody can tell you whether the property you are buying today could be sold next year, even taking a loss, whether such property is in Thailand, Singapore, Florida or France.

real estate is good but the 2 things people do not keep in mind. Location and Timing are the 2 things with real estate. buy when everyone is selling but you want to put in insulting bids ex; 1,000,000 baht condo bid 500,000 and wait you are in no rush but they are. Brazil is a good place now where you can buy stuff extremely cheap cheap . good luck do not be in any rush to do anything.

real estate is good but the 2 things people do not keep in mind. Location and Timing are the 2 things with real estate. buy when everyone is selling but you want to put in insulting bids ex; 1,000,000 baht condo bid 500,000 and wait you are in no rush but they are. Brazil is a good place now where you can buy stuff extremely cheap cheap . good luck do not be in any rush to do anything.

And in this case, the Location is Thailand! Enough said.

If the OP has had money fall into his lap, and has no need to properly invest it, then he can acquire a nice little vacation/living place with no need to be concerned about things when the time comes to unwind the property. On the other hand, if that money needs to be properly invested, he would be a fool to consider real-estate in this country.

Many huge issue about buying house or condo in Thailand,special overpriced one in Bkk,Phuket,Pattaya,Chiang Mai etc...!!!

First at all THERE IS NO RESALE market in Thailand!!!Thais will NEVER EVER buy "second hand" property!!!This is something about tradition and "lose face" matter!!!

Second,Laws are against foreigners in general!!!Many pitfalls as well,special if you want to buy house!!!If you used company to buy house you can be very easy cheated!!!

Many famous spots in Thailand are glut with empty buildings with incredibly big prices !!!

If you buy some finally you will find many hidden expenses as well and huge maintenance fees and many other taxes and fees!!!

So,never buy condo or house here!!!Maybe you can build if you have any knowledge about that.It is harsh as well ,but you can control many things faze by faze and it is much,much cheaper for better quality !!!

My Thai gf has small condo from government which she get for 380.000 baht(36m)in Bkk and that is enough for us!

Philippines or Spain or Panama or Vietnam are better places to invest in real-estates !