Taking a cat on domestic Thai flight.

Thanks for the info.

What's your opinion about putting a cat, sedated, in the hold? This is what Bangkok Airways offered and it sounded horrible to me, Of course I didn't do it.

Should not sedate a pet if putting them in the hold, dangerous. They could vomit and aspirate, or wake up very disoriented during the flight. Vets will all tell you not to sedate as well.

Bkkairways will also tell you (or at least, told me) that they give no assurance/make no promises that the pet survives the flight. I would, therefore, never put a pet into the hold of one of their planes under any circumstance. If you absolutely have no other choice than to put your cat in the hold, Thai Airways seems the most reliable and at least makes a show of trying to look after the animal's welfare.

Personally i have never put a pet into the hold of a plane, ever since Thai changed their policy I have used road transport within Thailand and to neighboring countries or else arranged for a reliable pet sitter to stay at home with them. For long hauls back to farang-land if bringing a pet, I use non-Thai air carriers that are pet friendly, of which there are still a number. It is just the various Thai air carriers that are not.

But of course there are times people have no choice. In which case choose the airline carefully - one that has staff hand carry the pet on and off the plane and gives some sort of assurances- and do not sedate the animal. Use a carrier case they are familiar with and line it with clothes that have your smell, that will help reduce anxiety somewhat.

A cat will be most comfortable with a carry-case that makes them feel hidden i.e. not a lot of visibility to the outside i.e. not a cage type but a very closed carrier. Dogs are different, but cats' instinct is to hide themselves well when they feel insecure.

Thai Airways web site http://www.thaiairways.com/en/plan_my_trip/travel_information/Pet_Travel.page :

"Pets as Checked Baggage (AVIH)

This service will allow passengers to check-in and collect their pet at the passenger terminals of their flight’s departure and arrival airports. The pet will be loaded in an aircraft hold just beneath the passenger cabin where it will be safe and in a temperature controlled environment."

So not in the passenger cabin ...