Spanish murder suspect has fled Thailand, girlfriend claims

Jonathan Fairfield

Probably the BIB were happy to hear the suspect has fled the country as they're not noted for aggressive pursuit of suspects who have gone overseas.

Now they can just say all the right things without bothering to follow them through.

Put it this way, a foreigner has been murdered by other foreigners and only because this happened on Thai soil has it become the involvement of the Thai police. Once a foreign perpetrator has left the country it then becomes someone else`s problem. In fact I don`t lie blame on the Thai police if they decide not to put a lot of resources into finding the murderers abroad.

I do blame them, the crime happened on their territory and they should be held responsible for its resolution.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Friday police said that Segarra had withdrawn almost 37 million Baht from the Singaporean bank account belonging to the victim, David Bernat.

The withdrawals took place from various ATMs in Bangkok and Ayutthaya.

37 million baht from various ATMs?! do ATMs have that much cash in them? isnt there a daily withdrawl limit on accounts to prevent such things happening?

at Bangkok Bank and SCB the limit is 20,000 baht per 24 hours.

37,000,000 baht divided by 20,000 baht per day is 1,850. 1850 DAYS or FIVE YEARS.

I have Bangkok Bank ATM, was informed maximum per day was 40,000. Have got 50,000 in a day.

Yet again OP says STARTED to withdraw, why are people arguing over whether it is possible to do it via an ATM? Maybe he only took 500 baht out.

ok, but my experience is 20,000 baht is the limit at Bangkok Bank, I know because my rent is 33,000 baht and i have to make two withdrawals over two days to get that much cash. 20,000 one day, 13,000 the second day. this happens every month for the last two years. maybe different for some people.

Talk to your home branch on daily/weekly withdrawal amounts. I've never had a problem on taking out 40,000 at any branch here in Thailand. Only ATM may limited amounts per transaction.

Why do the Thai police have to rat out an informant - especially one who has no knowledge of any crime? Why do they even have to say what she told them or that she gave them pictures of him? Why do they have to show a picture of her in the news?

All they needed was the info she gave them because it has no further use to the system. Now she could be a target of him or cronies for what purpose?

No brains!!!

They are always looking for a media pat on the back.

Say this guy has the 37 million baht in a back pack. If each 1000 baht note weighs aprox 1 gram this would come to about 40 kilograms of weight. With jungle terrain to cross over to Cambodia of about 5 miles -10 miles of treking would take about slow walking pace, 4-8 hours. Now he was last seen on Friday night, so treking in the dark through jungle is difficult. So say he waited until first light, he would be in Cambodia around 12 noon, thirsty and his clothes dirty. With all his money in Thai baht he would need to barter for taxi rides or food, etc in this currency. Cambodian authorities should be able to track him down.

Would Cambodian authorities take the same "cut" that Thai officials would?? Cambodia might hand him over to Thai authorities sans back pack and money. It will be a hot time in the old town tonight. Sounds like a real treasure hunt to me.

Probably the BIB were happy to hear the suspect has fled the country as they're not noted for aggressive pursuit of suspects who have gone overseas.

Now they can just say all the right things without bothering to follow them through.

NongKhaiKid

I usually think your right on the money but in this case they are not going to let the goose with the golden eggs escape. Its all down to a treasure hunt. With the smell of money in the air that sharpens the BIB's financial nasal senses and like a bloodhound they will stay on the trail till a body appears. Sounds like there is more bahts involved here than knocking off a geriatric Bridge game with no loss of face a win win for the BIB

NongKhaiKid

I usually think your right on the money but in this case they are not going to let the goose with the golden eggs escape. Its all down to a treasure hunt. With the smell of money in the air that sharpens the BIB's financial nasal senses and like a bloodhound they will stay on the trail till a body appears. Sounds like there is more bahts involved here than knocking off a geriatric Bridge game with no loss of face a win win for the BIB

]

ok, but my experience is 20,000 baht is the limit at Bangkok Bank, I know because my rent is 33,000 baht and i have to make two withdrawals over two days to get that much cash. 20,000 one day, 13,000 the second day. this happens every month for the last two years. maybe different for some people.

Do yourself a favour.

Walk into your bank and ask to raise the withdrawal limit.

Put it this way, a foreigner has been murdered by other foreigners and only because this happened on Thai soil has it become the involvement of the Thai police. Once a foreign perpetrator has left the country it then becomes someone else`s problem. In fact I don`t lie blame on the Thai police if they decide not to put a lot of resources into finding the murderers abroad.

I do blame them, the crime happened on their territory and they should be held responsible for its resolution.

Like the dirty rotten murderer finally found living a new life in the Philippines, running a bar, a couple of years ago, after being "on the run" for a lot of years... Does one of the more informed posters know what happened to that B#####d?

Say this guy has the 37 million baht in a back pack. If each 1000 baht note weighs aprox 1 gram this would come to about 40 kilograms of weight. With jungle terrain to cross over to Cambodia of about 5 miles -10 miles of treking would take about slow walking pace, 4-8 hours. Now he was last seen on Friday night, so treking in the dark through jungle is difficult. So say he waited until first light, he would be in Cambodia around 12 noon, thirsty and his clothes dirty. With all his money in Thai baht he would need to barter for taxi rides or food, etc in this currency. Cambodian authorities should be able to track him down.

and the land mines, you forgot the land mines.
And the Khmer Rouge, some r still in hiding overthere

And one of them runs the country.

Good to see the lads in Cambo have a sense of humour:

If he did manage to cross into Cambodia, Siem Reap would be an easy spot for him. It's been a few hours, but that's usually enough time to buy a guesthouse in Siem Reap and be considered a "good bloke" by many fellow expats.

And they point out that he has some rather noticeable tats....

893c2e6d7316d9db3ec5239b4804f802.jpg

How many posters are barking up the wrong tree because they haven't read the OP thoroughly?

"Segurra transferred and started to withdraw almost 37 million baht...."

Presumably the police know how much was withdrawn. Theoretically, with about a dozen different bank ATM's he could have withdrawn half a million baht in a day.

To me, the more critical question is how 37 million baht was transferred from the Singapore account without any flags being raised. It's approximately 1 million US dollars, a fairly significant sum.

On Friday police said that Segarra had withdrawn almost 37 million Baht from the Singaporean bank account belonging to the victim, David Bernat.

The withdrawals took place from various ATMs in Bangkok and Ayutthaya.

37 million baht from various ATMs?! do ATMs have that much cash in them? isnt there a daily withdrawl limit on accounts to prevent such things happening?

The original article says "On Friday police said that Segarra had transferred and started to withdraw almost 37 million Baht from the Singaporean bank account belonging to the victim, David Bernat."

Unless the original article has been corrected, you are miss-quoting it. Totally believable that he had 'started to withdraw' the cash.

Willem, the Dutch had to leave Thailand the same way after he got arrested in Cha Am with a lot of pot.

He then "hang" his fellow countryman, " who's involved in selling pot to the cops, but luckily found a cop who gave him his passport, when he was out on bail to "change money" and he hopped on his Moped and drove to a place near the Cambodian border.

While the authorities were searching for him in Thailand, he flew out from Pnom Phen with one landing in Bangkok

But Willem was on transit. Seems there are many Willems around these days.

Edited by lostinisaan

Thai police arrest an aged group playing social game of cards ......And meanwhile a murder suspect gets away!!

Makes Perfect sense???

Well they were stationary,many probably rheumatic impaired and sitting down enjoying themselves, not murderers on the run... A big difference in motivation..