Best Avocados in Chiang Mai?

seeker108

Haas type or something with high oil content and at reasonable price would be nice. I just came back from the land of avocado abundance (various parts of the US) where I was buying excellent avocados as cheaply as 6 baht per piece (as recently as two weeks ago) and almost never more than 18 per piece. And almost always they were imported. Taking care of my several avocado a day addiction was easy. thumbsup.gif Here it may be a bit tougher for a while.

I am about to head out on a search for good avos here in Chiang Mai starting with the big local fruit markets. If anyone can tell me where to find the best avos that most resemble Haas I would greatly appreciate a PM or post about this. Or if any of you folks are growing them I would love to buy yours on a wholesale scale basis when you have them. I am always making lots of avocado/coconut smoothies for myself and family and friends. clap2.gif

Thanks all for your posts and/or PMs. smile.png

Bought in Makro, Mae Hia during the week.Was 2 days before they were ready to eat but were excellent.

Quality can be a bit of a lottery sometimes.

Best avocadoes we have bought ,several times, were at the Tuesday street market in Chiang Dao.Locally grown

and far cheaper than CM prices .Quite a drive though.

I used to grow the Haas variety in Australia as did 100's of other farmers.

There is a fellow who sells out of the back of his pickup during the local season . He raises them himself and normally parks on the street at the market on Moon Maung rd next to the moat. He has several kinds, including haas.

Not the same persom but if you know him ask avacado Bill, he claims to have brought them to Thailand 30+ years ago. He lives up with one of the hill tribe groups but comes into CM every monthly or so to have a feed and visit for a couple days. He has a little braid on his beard to help recongize him.

Local ones can be hit and miss, also seem to have a much shorter window of perfect ripeness..

I get boxes shipped by this company.. Obviously a glut during peak season and not much now.

https://www.facebook.com/Bangkoklovelyfruits/?fref=ts

Perfect to deal with so far, and honest in descriptions (burmese, haas etc) and some of them were the best I have had in Thailand. They ship from a farm near CNX also so shipping is cheap to us here (I think 90b) more than folks down south.

Again, thx to all for your posts.

I just got back from the market. For now I just settled for what I could get at the wholesale market where I have bought in the past. As you are coming up the side street that the US conulate sits on, you keep going about 200 meters further from the river and it is on the left. None are quite ready to open yet and so I am not sure how good, but what they had was a mixed batch of different kinds and sizes at 45 baht per kg. Imported from Myanmar. I bought 3 kg (15 avocados mostly double size of what I bought in the US), for now to keep me going for a few days. Some of them should be ready for breakfast tomorrow and so I will let you all know how good they are tomorrow. But price wise that is even cheaper than the best price I could get in the states of about 6 baht per avocado for avos half this size. However I am much more interested in the quality of the taste rather than price, as long as the price is within reason. So all in all not bad, so far.

They also do have an abundance of passion fruit and the kind of bananas that we are more accustomed to in the states as well as many other fruits. Passion fruits were 40 baht per kg or 35 if you buy 10 kg. The purple variety, full of taste and juice, though a bit more sour than the yellow variety, which is fine by me. thumbsup.gif

Good evening to all! wai.gif

Again, thx to all for your posts.

I just got back from the market. For now I just settled for what I could get at the wholesale market where I have bought in the past. As you are coming up the side street that the US conulate sits on, you keep going about 200 meters further from the river and it is on the left. None are quite ready to open yet and so I am not sure how good, but what they had was a mixed batch of different kinds and sizes at 45 baht per kg. Imported from Myanmar. I bought 3 kg (15 avocados mostly double size of what I bought in the US), for now to keep me going for a few days. Some of them should be ready for breakfast tomorrow and so I will let you all know how good they are tomorrow. But price wise that is even cheaper than the best price I could get in the states of about 6 baht per avocado for avos half this size. However I am much more interested in the quality of the taste rather than price, as long as the price is within reason. So all in all not bad, so far.

They also do have an abundance of passion fruit and the kind of bananas that we are more accustomed to in the states as well as many other fruits. Passion fruits were 40 baht per kg or 35 if you buy 10 kg. The purple variety, full of taste and juice, though a bit more sour than the yellow variety, which is fine by me. thumbsup.gif

Good evening to all! wai.gif

That is very expensive, they may have gone up a lot this year or they're cheaper inside the big sheds on the opposite side of the road - I bought 10kg this time last year for 180 baht which is half of the price you saw - spent a couple of hours with a knife and spoon and filled up 6 x 1kg bags for the freezer. For anyone doing this and knowing that they wouldn't go through a kilo of passionfruit before it went off, defrost a bag and re-freeze it in big ice cube trays then re-bag them; 1 (big) ice cube is more or less one passionfruit, perfect size to drop into a bowl of yoghurt.

• 2 weeks later...

Makro were selling domestic ones that were a bit special last week, having been disappointed especially with large sized ones grown domestic, I only buy one or two as a tester..

Well these were as good as any sourced anywhere.. Rich, creamy, high fat / oil content.. Perfectly flavored.

Will get some more and check price. These were way above the average quality locally.

I have given up on the locally produced avocados except the ones produced by the Royal Project. However those are only available towards the end of the rainy season. They look exactly like the hass avocados and taste very similar. They also have a tiny avocado variety that although small has a small seed and is excellent.

Otherwise best to only buy imported hass or Avanza Avocados. I don't know why they are not available at this time. I bought some a couple weeks ago but they were quickly gone.

Try the 'Thai Domestic' in Makro currently.. I just got some more, 105b a kilo..

I also was mostly unimpressed with Thai ones, using them more for salads or smoothies.. But these are just fine.

Sold a bit under ripe, needs a couple of days to get to the right texture and not be watery.

Archived