UV lighting in mozzie traps

athousand

I have just moved to a place by the sea where there are mozzies everywhere. It seemed like an electric mozzie trap (eg ' blackhole') would help out a lot. However it seems that the way these electric mozzie traps lure them in is via a blue uv light. Surely that's not a good thing for quality of sleep?

If I'm in the bedroom and have the gadget in the next room, with the door open, will it still lure them out there - or would I need to have it in the room where I'm sleeping? If so, does it light the room up?

Edited by athousand

The ones we use can act as a night light (10 watt) but if you have one in the next room, after a week or two you will find it will have zapped most of them to make numbers more manageable. It helps a lot if you have insect screens on your windows to keep the numbers down a bit in the first place. They seem to work best in corners (on the floor is fine) so if you have to have one in a bedroom place it somewhere where the light doesn't disturb you. Less than 600 baht at Amorn. We have three in our house turned on day and night and rarely get bitten anymore, we just hear the crack of the zapper going off every so often. Beats chasing them around with those hand held zappers.

mitsumaru-okhmdakaemlng-run-ap-444s-siie

They are most assuredly attracted to light (but it does not have to be UV or blue - just leave one light on in room and keep watch with a zapper) - they will come to you - and yes they will still come if you leave and no CO2 near the light.

As for zappers - that zap is not going to be welcome in the middle of the night - and yes most would give off more light than you might want. So indeed a black hole type would be much better for BR (draw in by airflow and not allowed to escape). But as mentioned try to eliminate source - get the population down and likely you can keep it down.

You spend a lot of time staring at the bug killer? Suspect the total amount of danger from such lamps is less than walking across the street in the noonday sun once in your life. Yes UV is a danger - but these very low power lamps do not pose anything near the danger of sunlight in my understanding; much less danger than a tanning bed for example - or we would know about it from sources other than forum posters like us. smile.png