Getting Prescription Medications in Thailand. How Can I Do It on a Small Budget?

coolhand53089

Hi, I am a disabled US military veteran living in Thailand. I want to make sure that I continue getting my prescription medications that the VA wants me to take. I am on a very tight budget here and I do not have health insurance. If I do not continue to get these medications (and possibly show proof if the VA ever asks for it), then they could reduce or stop my disability payments, which would leave me with no income.

Does anyone have some advice for me on how I could go about getting these generic medications on a budget?

Sertraline (aka Zoloft)

Prazosin

Trazodone

Thanks in advance for your tips on this. And please keep in mind I live near Udon Thani, so going to Bangkok would be quite an ordeal.

Yo Coolhand. I take it you are not military retired? If not, and you have VA rated disabilities, you can use the VA's Foreign Medical Program in Denver. They will pay for all medical expenses related to your VA disability 100% with no copays. From your medications, it sounds like you may be rated for PTSD? If so, Denver will pay for these meds 100%.

Hang in there.

Yes sir! I signed up and got approved for FMP. But first I have to get the medications, and the send them my receipts from a professional, and then they will reimburse me. So I still need to figure out how to get them on my own first. Thanks very much for the feedback

I think you need to go on the local forum for this with a recommended hospital. You need receipts as you say. The meds themselves are not a problem, nothing there or the generic equivalent not available in Thailand I think, though a pharmacy could check it in Tims (Thai index of medical specialties). Would certainly take a look at the hospital, Udon Thani not Bangkok in terms of costs.

I've not had a problem with FMP paying for my meds. I just by them at any local pharmacy and get a receipt from them with their address, phone #, and price and quantity of meds. I get them for 3 months at a time. Then I just send the receipts off to Denver and they pay for the meds. It does take them a long time to pay though and then it comes in a check! They still have no way to pay you other than a check and with the time it takes to cash a check and the delay in Denver paying you, it usually comes out to around 4 months to get paid.

Hang in there.