The Poor And Sometimes Forgotten Foreigners From Isaan.....

lostinisaan

Sabai Dee?

I'm helping an organisation that helps foreigners in emergency situations as a volunteer and thought it's time to talk.

Through my voluntary occupation, I often visit foreigners who live here a long time, then experience an emergency situation and most have a very similar story.

Almost all of them got ripped off by their Thai spouse and then lost all of their savings that supposed to be the money for their retirement, most of them worked really hard to make the move.

And all of these sometimes very tragic stories usually began with the sweet smile of a bar girl. Most of them are really old by now and not familiar with PC's, so no chance to get enough online information.

And most of them don't have anybody back home, so they try to survive here under very strange circumstances.

I'm sorry, I'm not allowed to go into details, but it would be great if others would share their experience, which might help some older gentlemen.

No country for old men.-wai2.gif

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please stop making comments about Thai ladies almost always ripping off old farangs.

It makes my blood boil reading sh..e like that.

There are good and bad people from all countries on this earth.

I second that.

What's the old saying again? A fool and his money are easily parted...

Please stop making comments about Thai ladies almost always ripping off old farangs.

Did I really write that? I'm married to a woman from this area and after 15 years still happily married. You call it shit, i call it the naked truth for some who'd lost all. ( And they wouldn't even tell you that.)

BTW, I wrote that almost all the men I've visited, which doesn't generalize anything that you put into my mouth.

But it's your right to come up with your opinion. I've once burnt my tongue by warning a foreigner whose wife had spent all his money, sold the land which was in her name, just to find out that I was the bad guy when they got together again. But not for long.

If you don't like to see/read the truth. please just don't read it. Thanks for your consideration.

Is it better to keep your eyes, ears and mouth shut? Some suicides and plenty of attempts were/are the reason for the wrongdoings of such a good and friendly wife.

It's usually the huge age difference, not understanding this culture and most of these gentlemen never wanted to learn Thai.

It's much easier to understand who the good and bad people in your country of origin are, but here a little bit different.

Please google the foreign death rate in some Isaan provinces/all over Thailand. Not all jump from a balcony. G'Day, sir. -wai2.gif

P.S. Just found this: http://www.farang-deaths.com/

OP is not suggesting that "Thai Ladies almost always rip off Farangs". But the percentage of rip-offs, compared to other "Retirement Countries" for Farangs is frightening to put it mildly. Why?

BECAUSE:

Thai-Law is basically an invitation to rip-off Farangs, as soon as there are any sort of Real-Estate issues involved. (Exception:Condominium purchase.)

These days, carefully drawn-up "legal-acrobatics" by costly Bangkok lawyers, with the intent to protect the Farang's assets, can be torn to pieces when it comes to a court case. Emphasis: These Days. More: Mister Farang could be fined for circumventing Thai-Law by applying "legal-acrobatics" on top.

PS: I used to support fellow countryman that were "victimized" by funding their return back home. Never have I been repaid or even gotten a "thank you", once they were back home. Needless to say, that I have stopped this sort of "charitable action" in the meantime.

Cheers.

Anyone who believes that any relationship that starts by paying someone to sit, have a drink, and be nice to you can possible develop into a good relationship,is nothing but a lonely fool.

If you paid for that first night, you will pay for all the nights in the future.

There are very many nice, good women in Thailand who are not involved in the social service industry.

Make the effort to find a real relationship,

or accept that you are only renting what you have.

Renting can be a good thing, just don't forget you are only a renter.

OP is not suggesting that "Thai Ladies almost always rip off Farangs". But the percentage of rip-offs, compared to other "Retirement Countries" for Farangs is frightening to put it mildly. Why?

BECAUSE:

Thai-Law is basically an invitation to rip-off Farangs, as soon as there are any sort of Real-Estate issues involved. (Exception:Condominium purchase.)

These days, carefully drawn-up "legal-acrobatics" by costly Bangkok lawyers, with the intent to protect the Farang's assets, can be torn to pieces when it comes to a court case. Emphasis: These Days. More: Mister Farang could be fined for circumventing Thai-Law by applying "legal-acrobatics" on top.

PS: I used to support fellow countryman that were "victimized" by funding their return back home. Never have I been repaid or even gotten a "thank you", once they were back home. Needless to say, that I have stopped this sort of "charitable action" in the meantime.

Cheers.

Thanks, a great post. I'm really often thinking about quitting my job because it's really not just a pain in the asss for the guys with the "lovely wives."

And I'm not in for the money. What a nice world this is. But something deep inside me tells me to continue. Guess you know how difficult that is.

Cheers.

Kee nok....is the specific term...a farang who has been burnt out and has no assets....kee for shit and nok for bird.

Put the 2 together and we have bird shit....basically nobody wants it.....and a big part of the problem is that many of these people never learnt the language, have no understanding or care for the culture, alcohol may well play a big part too.

Plenty of down and out from where they come from as well..

Did I really write that?

Yes you did.

You wrote that almost the cases you dealt with involved Thai ladies ripping off Farangs.

"Almost all of them got ripped off by their Thai spouse and then lost all of their savings that supposed to be the money for their retirement, most of them worked really hard to make the move.

And all of these sometimes very tragic stories usually began with the sweet smile of a bar girl".

You also added that this not a country for old men.

Now, if that is not a generalisation then I don't know what is !!

Of course, we all know dozens of cases where your comments are perfectly true. However, I know of at least double that number where there have been successful long-term relationships.

I know of others that fall in the middle. The bar girl with the sweet smile will not necessarily go out to fleece you; equally, I know of Farangs who were ripped off by ladies who had never set foot in a bar. As ColinNeil said there are good and bad people everywhere - interestingly he has experienced both sides of that particular coin so he is personally qualified to comment. I am also aware of many cases where the unscrupulous Farang has ripped off his Thai partner.

IMO opinion this country is brilliant for older men. From the climate, cost of living, scenery to the availability of female company.

However, one needs to tread with caution and the rules are very clear for everyone to see. As djayz said 'a fool and his money are easily parted'.

I have also been involved in trying to salvage a few Farangs from a car crash of a relationship. In virtually every case the uncharitable could say "som nom naar". In almost every case the Farang could, and should, have taken better steps to prevent disaster. In almost every case the Farang refused to accept what was happening until it was too late. In almost every case the Farang ignored, or fought against, any advice from friends to take damage-limitation action.

You are fortunate that you have been successfully married for 15 years. Does that help in dealing with these cases ?

Anyone who believes that any relationship that starts by paying someone to sit, have a drink, and be nice to you can possible develop into a good relationship,is nothing but a lonely fool.

If you paid for that first night, you will pay for all the nights in the future.

There are very many nice, good women in Thailand who are not involved in the social service industry.

At the end of the day, "Renters" fare better than "Owners" in the long run in Thailand, especially if it comes to "matters of the heart". Confused? Read post # 5.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All of this will not change the fact that in no time at all there will appear staunch advocates claiming " my Thai-wife and family are different".

Excellent! Always cause for amusement! (post # 5, maybe?).

Cheers.

Many times I have tried to advise falangs in Thailand about the pit falls here

in relationships and business. Guess what I always get the same answer.

" You don't understand this is different"

I just sit back & watch the carnage.

There are also many happy relationships in Thailand mine being one of them.

Did I really write that? I'm married to a woman from this area and after 15 years still happily married. You call it shit, i call it the naked truth for some who'd lost all. ( And they wouldn't even tell you that.)

BTW, I wrote that almost all the men I've visited, which doesn't generalize anything that you put into my mouth.

But it's your right to come up with your opinion. I've once burnt my tongue by warning a foreigner whose wife had spent all his money, sold the land which was in her name, just to find out that I was the bad guy when they got together again. But not for long.

If you don't like to see/read the truth. please just don't read it. Thanks for your consideration.

Is it better to keep your eyes, ears and mouth shut? Some suicides and plenty of attempts were/are the reason for the wrongdoings of such a good and friendly wife.

It's usually the huge age difference, not understanding this culture and most of these gentlemen never wanted to learn Thai.

It's much easier to understand who the good and bad people in your country of origin are, but here a little bit different.

Please google the foreign death rate in some Isaan provinces/all over Thailand. Not all jump from a balcony. G'Day, sir. -wai2.gif

P.S. Just found this: http://www.farang-deaths.com/

Stop slandering people then try to act as if your an authority and have the right to. No one wants to hear it.

not to diminish the sad scene you describe, but people become old and infirm, broke and unwanted all over the world - dementia rates are epidemic and the funds to take care of these people are lacking everywhere.

Not saying your "clients" are suffering dementia - just that there are troubles all over. Every case must be looked at individually. Maybe some of these old fellows had 5-10-15 years of companionship with a Thai lady before they had problems. They must have all made decisions at some point to move here. If they made decisions at some point to buy land in another's name, that is a decision they must live with. And scams on elderly are rampant. They are targets everywhere.

Good luck in helping them - some may and some may not deserve it. Sifting through is not easy....

It is an unfortunate trait among Westerners out here, to enjoy seeing others fail, whether it be in business, a relationship, or whatever.

I guess it reinforces their belief that everything they are doing is perfect, as they are still going strong, or stronger than a man that failed.

Why do falangs put up with this shit, why do they stick around,, blowing all their hard earned cash,,on a bad apple,,, hoping things will get better ( Woman) Yes. there's good and bad all over the world,,, Myself have had the great pleasure, of meeting both,,, after falling in love ,, like we do,,, I invested what I was prepared to lose,,bought some land, built a house,, nothing special, but made it into a home,,, with the X wife and along with family,, asking for this and that,, 50 baht here 100 baht there smile.png it all adds up,, bailing family out of what ever shit or problems they have gotten them selves into,,, I decided enough was enough,,Left the house,, packed my bags, took my dog and walked away before they bled my dry,, thumbsup.gif fast forward,, a year later,, I met my soulmate,, she works as a teacher holds down a steady job,, owns her own property, car ,, etc,, and can more than take care of her self financially,, we have been together,, 8 years now, the bottom line is,,, its down to us,,, to know when to draw the line,,,, God give us a D@#k and a Brain,,, but not enough blood to operate the both at the same time.

Fool me once shame on you,, fool me twice shame on me

I agree, many many white faced thai ladies from Bangkok, who speak brilliant english, thai and Chinese, who are university graduate and are on 100,000 baht a month.

One only has to look for a few minutes, then one is safe from the rip offs, by issan FARM GIRLS

Where we are now at this time and place, with our present circumstances, is a direct consequence of all the choices we have made in life.

Not one of these old boys was forced to part with a single Satang.

Thailand eats up the credulous, the trusting and the fools.

Did I really write that?

Yes you did.

You wrote that almost the cases you dealt with involved Thai ladies ripping off Farangs.

"Almost all of them got ripped off by their Thai spouse and then lost all of their savings that supposed to be the money for their retirement, most of them worked really hard to make the move.

And all of these sometimes very tragic stories usually began with the sweet smile of a bar girl".

You also added that this not a country for old men.

Now, if that is not a generalisation then I don't know what is !!

Of course, we all know dozens of cases where your comments are perfectly true. However, I know of at least double that number where there have been successful long-term relationships.

I know of others that fall in the middle. The bar girl with the sweet smile will not necessarily go out to fleece you; equally, I know of Farangs who were ripped off by ladies who had never set foot in a bar. As ColinNeil said there are good and bad people everywhere - interestingly he has experienced both sides of that particular coin so he is personally qualified to comment. I am also aware of many cases where the unscrupulous Farang has ripped off his Thai partner.

IMO opinion this country is brilliant for older men. From the climate, cost of living, scenery to the availability of female company.

However, one needs to tread with caution and the rules are very clear for everyone to see. As djayz said 'a fool and his money are easily parted'.

I have also been involved in trying to salvage a few Farangs from a car crash of a relationship. In virtually every case the uncharitable could say "som nom naar". In almost every case the Farang could, and should, have taken better steps to prevent disaster. In almost every case the Farang refused to accept what was happening until it was too late. In almost every case the Farang ignored, or fought against, any advice from friends to take damage-limitation action.

You are fortunate that you have been successfully married for 15 years. Does that help in dealing with these cases ?

I wouldn't even try to help others if my wife would gamble, lie and sleep with my "friends " if that answers your question.

lets get this straight. old farang from most countries get a pension which goes a long way in thailand. basic hotel room, food from7/11,lotus, etc, easily covered so even if the ex-wife wiped them absolutely clean, come next pension payment their basic needs are met and they can go forward. so where is the problem?

Where we are now at this time and place, with our present circumstances, is a direct consequence of all the choices we have made in life.

Isn't it a sort of "forced to" when a guy really loves his wife who only "plays the loving wife" as long as there's money and trusts her until his death?

A "whore/customer relationship" in western countries is pretty obvious.

But a few people who met the wrong "lady" really believe the "I love you too much stories", coming from local whores who're married to a Thai guy who doesn't seem to have a problem what his wife's doing to get a lot of money.

Once the cow doesn't give anymore milk, it will be replaced by another cow.

post-158336-0-80342000-1454990501_thumb.

Isn't it a sort of "forced to" when a guy really loves his wife who only "plays the loving wife" as long as there's money and trusts her until his death?

No. There are always signs. A woman cannot feign love 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The constant requests for money is a bit of a give-away.

If he chose to ignore those signs, then that was his choice.

lets get this straight. old farang from most countries get a pension which goes a long way in thailand. basic hotel room, food from7/11,lotus, etc, easily covered so even if the ex-wife wiped them absolutely clean, come next pension payment their basic needs are met and they can go forward. so where is the problem?

If you had your own business before and a few million Euros on your bank account, you might think the money's way enough to live the rest of your life in luxury and harmony. Then a Swiss bank got bankrupt, and another source is gone.

The guy doesn't have a pension coming in and hopes he can sell his land soon. The problem might be that it's in his wife's name.

She'll be back in four months after some "corrections were made." Her second chance might be his end.

Now he can look on his photographs of his Bentley, Rolls $ Harley. Even Eskimos living in igloos have more social contact than this guy.

Archived