Who specifically to complain to about burning

watgate

If you've got burning outside your condo in Muang you've been unlucky, we live in Mae Rim and we, like many of our neighbors, burn leaves in the garden about once a week. It's the time of year when trees shed their leaves and getting rid of them is a problem, the garbage people wont take them away even if bagged, there's no waste disposal site we can take them to, we haven't got the facilities to create a large compost heap, anyway, the sheer volume of leaves would likely prohibit that (we do have a small one for use on our garden but the volume is an issue). It takes about twenty minutes to incinerate several bags of leaves, if we dry them thoroughly before hand there is minimal smoke, if anyone has a better solution I'll listen.

Right, flame away.

Perhaps you could find a local farm to setup a compost on. Leaves turn into great soil especially if all varieties of organic waste are combined.

If you've got burning outside your condo in Muang you've been unlucky, we live in Mae Rim and we, like many of our neighbors, burn leaves in the garden about once a week. It's the time of year when trees shed their leaves and getting rid of them is a problem, the garbage people wont take them away even if bagged, there's no waste disposal site we can take them to, we haven't got the facilities to create a large compost heap, anyway, the sheer volume of leaves would likely prohibit that (we do have a small one for use on our garden but the volume is an issue). It takes about twenty minutes to incinerate several bags of leaves, if we dry them thoroughly before hand there is minimal smoke, if anyone has a better solution I'll listen.

Right, flame away.

Perhaps you could find a local farm to setup a compost on. Leaves turn into great soil especially if all varieties of organic waste are combined.

Most farmers burn everything they can. It would have to be an environment aware organic farmer. A rare breed, good luck finding one in your area. We compost EVERYTHING, but we have the space. My neighbours are idiots. I hope they get lung cancer.....

This month the whole Pattaya to Chonburi city has been hazier than I have ever seen. Yesterday I was driving on the motorway between the two and saw the reason. All the hills/ mountains either side of the road where on fire and it looked like controlled burn offs. It must be off putting to tourists when they travel to and from the airport. I was down in sattahip today and it was similar down there also. I live in a house but I would imagine the views from all the higher floor condos and hotel rooms would just be of air pollution.

The sky doesn't even look sky blue when you look up, it is a sort of pale blue.

I was going to start a thread on it, but have figured out how yet.

Get a local to do it on your behalf. Maybe apt complex management.

Not a good idea to make complaints under your own name here. Generally the local govt "burning" action is lots of talk and little action.

Not unless you cough up some movement money. Call DOPA they are good at wild goose chases. You may have to pay a "foreigners tax" or movement money and then the benefits will only last a day. So much in building up your hopes. Now the reality "Your on your own" move.

Having lived in rural areas for years I have seen farmers and nurserymen who are happy to receive leaves for compost and even go rake other people's property to get them.

A friend of mine lived way out in the country past Mai Jo. There was the biggest nursery I had ever seen out there. I am sure they would welcome compost there.

I could be wrong but I think you guys are living in la la land with this idea of farmers around here wanting leaves for compost, if that were the case you'd think I might have seen just once, people around the area where I live collecting them. Or maybe one of my neighbors would have said, let's not use the burning pit, let's give the leaves to ......! But no, not once. And do you not think that if farmers and nurseries really wanted those leaves etc that news would have made the press somewhere so that everyone would know and the pollution situation improved? As things stand the only people who seem to know about this is bill! Honestly, it's just so far fetched.

You need to get out more, sure probably most are burning but there are a bunch that compost and are happy to get free material for it. Saves them having to buy rice hull and peanut shells which aren't as good. The good ones know the benefits of compost and know it is worth their effort to mix the best soil they can.

Yes there are some leaves they do not want but only a few.

John knows too. Who else knows the nursery business or the organic farmers? Who even knows good dirt and has any idea where to get it? Most buy luuk laan for fill then wonder why half their plants don't grow

Edited by Bill97

My wife works for the POSD ( Permanent Office for the Secretary of Defence ) in Nonthaburi. For the last 3 months we have literally started a war against illegal haze. We have contacted the office of the NCPO abput 50 times in theblast 3 months regarding illegal fires popping up all over Nonthaburi. We live in the newly built soldier apartment building, which is the tallest building here until Thammasat University. The Thai government is taking this issue very seriously, but we as foreigners need to understand that Thailand has not been concerned with the damage of smoke pollution for many decades, not all countries are as concerned as foreign countries. The current laws are being revised with regards to pollution, but it is a big process.

Thailand aims at keeping it's promises in accordance with the UN climate meeting which was was held in Paris.

The government of Thailand needs our help. So I personally suggest that instead of complaining about issues in Thailand, start discussing solutions on how to make Thailand a better, cleaner country.

The Thais are new at the entire heatlh awareness thing,but trust me, they are trying to cope with the seriousness of the pollution problem.

The police don't even want to respond to the illegal burning of waste calls anymore, due to the fact that there are such a large number of Thai locals who are unaware of the damage they are causing to the natural state of the human health and of nature itself. Various police stations have told us to contact the department of pollution and disease control, but even they failed to put a lid on the large amounts of haze occuring, due to the fact that the people who cause this, refuse to listen to the warning even from the law enforcers, instead they relocate their waste to a different area and continue with their destructive behaviour.

To be able to report this, you would need to ask your wife to politely contact the office of the NCPO and tell them about your pollution concerns. Be very exact about the facts and make sure that you know the times it occurs and the precise location of these occurences. We have discovered the large amounts of burning occurs during midnight hours until the morning hours around 7 am. These are the times when most of us humans with health concerns do not see the smoke or where exactly it comes from.

We recently even requested and investigation into a factory that produces books for government schools around the entire country, as it starting burning dark black diesel like smoke with a massive mushroom cloud every night after midnight until 6am. This factory was located 1km away from us, but due to the fact that our building is so high, all the smoke pollution ends up inside all of our condos. They angered over 2000 soldiers and their families with the smoke. So we decided to prove our concerns by getting a petition with signatures and emailing it to the NCPO's online messaging service.

There is a massive survey currently ongoing with regards to the illegal burning of toxic and household waste, but the government is currently flooded with work. We need more support, people who can start calling and reporting various locations where it is confirmed that burning is illegal. If possible even come up with some suggestions on how to make Thai people aware of the consequences of burning waste in residential areas.

We literally drove out and took videos after we reported a massive burning session in Nonthaburi, underneath a highway. This highway is used daily buy royalty and high government officials, which makes the response to this kind of pollution quite satisfactory. We didn't defame anybody, but we only made the government aware of how big the problem actually was. So instead of defaming people by using names and pointing fingers. Get visual proof and then have someone forward it to the NCPO messaging service.

We have failed at every attempt when contacting the fire station, the local police stations and even the pollution and distaster control. We had literally no response from them. As soon as my wife mentioned to the NCPO that all her attempts failed, they finally took action.

Now, whenever she calls the firestation or police station, they have no choice but to react and respond to the calls.

We called every single day for 3 months. I told her that she should be persistent and eventually things will change. Now they opened up a full investigation into the government officials and the management of municipal services.

If you wish to complain, make sure you have your facts together and keep in mind that you might have to be very persistent. We even called after midnight at some nights. Our daughter is 5 months old and this smoke negatively affected her health. We didn't even for a second consider the dangers of standing up against the government here. Now we can see the observation planes making observations in our area.

When you ask someone to contact the NCPO about any illegal corruption, which isn't going to waste their time and you are in fact a good person who is keeping in mind the health of all people in the entire vicinity and not just your own, then you will accomplish great things and your concerns will bear fruit.

In Thailand, all you need is a bit of persistence, but trying to motivate a Thai local to contact the NCPO, can be difficult, because they have to give their full personal information, including identity number and current address. We have been reporting a lot of concerns since last year. We have seen very attractive progress. I can confirm that Prime Minister General Prayuth Chan-ocha's roadmap is working effectively. The NCPO was built to keep the peace. The ask people nicely to chnage their ways and do in fact follow up on all complaints. They are the communication headquarters for times where other authorities just don't give a crap.

I had some concerns about costly immigration policies and legal concerns about living in Thailand,but where will I find the man power to help me ask them to reform the costly and truly complicated immigration policies? I would have to ask every foreigner living here to ask their wives to voice concern about the immi policies. So I decided to let it be instead.

Wouldn't a 5 year Non-immigrant O visa without any funds in the bank be great for us family men? Iran and Russia is doing it, why not Thailand? Discrimination between rich, middle-class and poor isn't making the world a better place.

All I wanna do is dream, dream, dream....

NCPO call centre from any network, only Thai, 1111.

NCPO government webpage: http://www.1111.go.th

Please be polite with all complaints and keep calm, even in the background while calling. Do not call about MINOR issues, only issues of corruption, such as corruption of natural habitat. Do not attempt to defame anyone,unless you have actual proof, such as video or photographic footage, voice samples or recordings and witnesses to help support claims.

A very good looong read. The short version is this is Thailand suck it up or leave. Why you say? Answer. They just don't care its not a priority issue and no profit for the you know who. Things have been done this way for decades, centuries why change now. We are happy with the ways things are do not rock the boat. Go home foreigner and live by your rules there. Edited by elgordo38

Having lived in rural areas for years I have seen farmers and nurserymen who are happy to receive leaves for compost and even go rake other people's property to get them.

A friend of mine lived way out in the country past Mai Jo. There was the biggest nursery I had ever seen out there. I am sure they would welcome compost there.

I could be wrong but I think you guys are living in la la land with this idea of farmers around here wanting leaves for compost, if that were the case you'd think I might have seen just once, people around the area where I live collecting them. Or maybe one of my neighbors would have said, let's not use the burning pit, let's give the leaves to ......! But no, not once. And do you not think that if farmers and nurseries really wanted those leaves etc that news would have made the press somewhere so that everyone would know and the pollution situation improved? As things stand the only people who seem to know about this is bill! Honestly, it's just so far fetched.

You need to get out more, sure probably most are burning but there are a bunch that compost and are happy to get free material for it. Saves them having to buy rice hull and peanut shells which aren't as good. The good ones know the benefits of compost and know it is worth their effort to mix the best soil they can.

John knows too. Who else knows the nursery business or the organic farmers? Who even knows good dirt and has any idea where to get it? Most buy luuk laan for fill then wonder why half their plants don't grow

So composting in Thailand is not exactly mainstream, in fact it's not even any stream in eleven years of debating causes and potential solutions to the "burning problem" on TVF. Never once have I read a single contribution that refers to a communal composting solution, not one, yours is the first that claims to actually know first hand of farmers who welcomes fallen leaves et al!

Bill, you've lost the plot on this one.

Off the topic of whistle-blowing but on the topic of burning....today(feb.10) most likely many were bemoaning about the air quality and visible impairment of Doi Suthep. I can tell you directly the primary cause was from one forest fire that started yesterday afternoon in a dry creek bed deep in the valley behind Doi Kham temple in Suthep/Pui National Park.This being on the doorstep of an inhabited area called Mai Hia Ni. Lucky the wind was blowing out of the south otherwise we would of had the fire on our doorsteps.

I spent most of the day fighting the backend of this forest fire(after-burn spot fires) while a crew of at least 30 were in the front end. The fire continues to burn its way up the mountain through the creek bed. Coming out of there as of 4pm today the air in the area has cleared up and Doi Suthep visibility has improved. This was not at all considered a big fire but over a period of 24hrs created enough smoke for visible concern. In the weeks to come with the massive agri-burn offs and multiple regional forest fires, its no wonder we can't breath in CM during these times.

A note to the OP: advise you to think 'microcosmic' first -make a factual case with the landlord/manager of your establishment with an expectation of action.Inquire with the other tenants to find out who has a similar complaint....-power in numbers-.... it might be as simple as "waking-up" the burner to the issue. With a smile and a nod of his head he may just sweep the contents over to the other side of his property and burn it there. Good Luck...it's always an upstream struggle when it comes to dealing with human nature.

So composting in Thailand is not exactly mainstream, in fact it's not even any stream in eleven years of debating causes and potential solutions to the "burning problem" on TVF. Never once have I read a single contribution that refers to a communal composting solution, not one, yours is the first that claims to actually know first hand of farmers who welcomes fallen leaves et al!

Bill, you've lost the plot on this one.

Never said it was a solution to the problem, just said it was an alternative practiced by some farmers and nurserymen. Never said it had to be communal, mentioned alternatives. Some problems with selective retention?

Burn on and be proud of your contribution to the problem.

There is a man with a gun over there forcing you to do it.

Hey man, you're not alone. All of Chiang Rai is a haze. Barely thwarting bronchitis. Having not burned trash or grass myself for 15 years (compost) I am appalled at the ignorance I am breathing. It's a drop in the bucket - but a start - as a teacher and organic minded gardner I intend to educate the locals slowly but surely about how composting is the way; but ever so discreetly - via a Thai friend. It's easier not to burn - and more profitable - than it is to burn, but go figure. Never mind the kids and elders in the hospital with respiratory ailments, medical fees, and medications they can't afford. Simply unbelievable.

My mil,lives outside the real world.She sleeps in the living room,on a mat of rattan.She wont cook with gas,so,sits in front of a clay pot,like some crazed witch doctor,throwing,wood and coal on it to cook a couple of fish.She showers outside with a plastic bowl full of water, that she throws over herself,I dont think she has changed her clothes for a decade.Ok! so she's a Thai from the early part of the last century(she's 77) But the burning is the problem.She looks down on me because i have the odd cigarette(i always smoke it at the far end of the yard)But the shit and stink of the stuff she burns is sometimes intolerable.We cook outside and at times our food is flavoured with the lovely hint of burnt wood or coal.Now, she even has a bucket of rubber strips. My blood runs cold to think of what she is going to do with this.

There is no reasoning with her as she goes off into a one woman verbal attack(god knows who shes speaking to)

i wouldn't mind,but she has every modern convenience inside the house.A microwave,which she eyes with demonic suspicion, fridge freezer,a kettle(but she insists on boiling water in a pot)I have supplied everything that the modern world produce,she thinks the iron is from another planet.

Well, i suppose i will have to put up with it until she goes to see Buddha.I just smile and nod nicley and i dont tell my wife about the empty half bottles of Hong Thong that i find in the yard cupboard!

KKD

My wife works for the POSD ( Permanent Office for the Secretary of Defence ) in Nonthaburi. For the last 3 months we have literally started a war against illegal haze. We have contacted the office of the NCPO abput 50 times in theblast 3 months regarding illegal fires popping up all over Nonthaburi.

When you ask someone to contact the NCPO about any illegal corruption, which isn't going to waste their time and you are in fact a good person who is keeping in mind the health of all people in the entire vicinity and not just your own, then you will accomplish great things and your concerns will bear fruit.

All I wanna do is dream, dream, dream....

NCPO call centre from any network, only Thai, 1111.

NCPO government webpage: http://www.1111.go.th

Please be polite with all complaints and keep calm, even in the background while calling. Do not call about MINOR issues, only issues of corruption, such as corruption of natural habitat. Do not attempt to defame anyone,unless you have actual proof, such as video or photographic footage, voice samples or recordings and witnesses to help support claims.

Is the OP's neighbor burning leaves in the morning considered a MINOR issue, or corruption of natural habitat?

If it's the latter, will he have to phone the NCPO 50 times before "he will accomplish great things and his concerns will bear fruit"?

You are dreaming.