Child's first UK passport

I am a UK national born in the UK and my wife is a Thai national.

We have a 4 month old daughter and I would like to make a UK passport for her.

I am aware that I have to make an appointment by email at the VFS in Bangkok but I'm not entirely sure what supporting documents I need to take with me. I downloaded all the relivent information from the UK Gov website but would like to know from first hand experience.

Has anyone made a UK passport for their child recently and if so could you please tell me what supporting documents you had to submit?

Also can anyone recommend an angency to do this for me as it may be a lot easier?

Thanks in advance.

Any informartion would me much appreciated.

I am a UK national born in the UK and my wife is a Thai national.

We have a 4 month old daughter and I would like to make a UK passport for her.

I am aware that I have to make an appointment by email at the VFS in Bangkok but I'm not entirely sure what supporting documents I need to take with me. I downloaded all the relivent information from the UK Gov website but would like to know from first hand experience.

Has anyone made a UK passport for their child recently and if so could you please tell me what supporting documents you had to submit?

Also can anyone recommend an angency to do this for me as it may be a lot easier?

Thanks in advance.

Any informartion would me much appreciated.

You need the application form, translated copies of the child's birth certificate and evidence of your address, copies of parents' passports, marriage certificate (if married), photos (countersigned) and your long form birth certificate (original).

I recently got one for my son and because I was born in Africa and didn't have a long form UK birth certificate, I used ThaiVisa Express to submit/check the application. They were very efficient and the passport was issued within 2 weeks.

Why do some people just ask a question on this form, before they check there embassy website?

The process for obtaining a British passport is not as simple as some countries.

The stories I have heard recently about it vary in every way. From time scale to documents needed to methods of payment.

I will soon be applying for a passport for my daughter and any first hand knowledge is invaluable.

Why do some people just ask a question on this form, before they check there embassy website?

The process for obtaining a British passport is not as simple as some countries.

The stories I have heard recently about it vary in every way. From time scale to documents needed to methods of payment.

I will soon be applying for a passport for my daughter and any first hand knowledge is invaluable.

If my experience is anything to go by, it's quick and easy to do it from Thailand.

• Like 1

I've just done this myself a week ago. I sent:

1. Completed (with black ink) and countersigned application form.

2. 2 of 35mm ☓ 45mm photo. 1 photo endorsed.

3. Colour copy of my passport (every page).

4. Colour copy of my wife's passport (every page).

* Note: If either of you has recently renewed your passport, also include a full copy of your previous passport, as HMPO wants to see both your passports at the time of conception (just to try and check if you were both in the same country at the relevant time).

5.Copy of my wife's and son's blue house book entries, plus translations.

6. Copy of my yellow house book, plus translation.

7. Copy of my driving license.

8. Copy of my long form birth certificate.

9. Copy of my wife's birth certificate plus translation.

10. Copy of my son's birth certificate, plus translation.

11. Copy of our marriage certificate plus translation.

12. Copies of dated family photos, with myself, my wife and my son named on the photos.

*13. Colour copy of your child's Thai passport, if they have one. This is not mandatory, so if your child doesn't have a Thai passport you can skip this.

14. Completed payment form.

Note that a British, Irish, Commonwealth or US citizen can countersign the application and endorse the photo as long as they have known you for 2 years and they are from a recognised profession. A medical doctor is no longer a recognised profession unless they know you personally as a friend and they state this in Section 8.

Applications with British and Irish countersignatories will be processed faster.

For me, everything went very smoothly. The passport arrived about 2 weeks after the application at Trendy.

Edited by blackcab
  • Like 1

If my experience is anything to go by, it's quick and easy to do it from Thailand.

But you used an agent.

As we can see there are already 2 different lists of required documents.

I have heard that proof of address can not be older than 1 year. To the poster who used yellow book and driving licence...how old were they at time of application?

But you used an agent.

I have heard that proof of address can not be older than 1 year. To the poster who used yellow book and driving licence...how old were they at time of application?

They need a current address, so anything older than 1 year is unlikely to work.

My point exactly.

Also my wife has only had a Thai passport for 6 months. My daughter is a lot older than that. I can't prove we were in the same country at conception, although this is the first time I have heard of that requirement.

As far as I can see the requirement is for proof of address in Thailand, marriage cert ( if child born before 2006), copies of birth certificates for child and both parents ( all in English). Copy of Father's British passport and copy of child's Thai passport if they have one.

My point exactly.

Also my wife has only had a Thai passport for 6 months. My daughter is a lot older than that. I can't prove we were in the same country at conception, although this is the first time I have heard of that requirement.

As far as I can see the requirement is for proof of address in Thailand, marriage cert ( if child born before 2006), copies of birth certificates for child and both parents ( all in English). Copy of Father's British passport and copy of child's Thai passport if they have one.

The agent I used also recommended including a copy of the passport ID page of the person who countersigns the child's photograph, but I'm not sure it is really required.

If you were married to her mother when she was born, or you have a birth certificate issued within a year of birth naming you as the father, whether you were in the same country at conception is irrelevant for citizenship. This might be why new birth certificates are now not necessarily accepted as evidence of paternity for illegitimate children born to unmarried mothers.

In theory, the passport office could have a policy of not recognising British citizenship derived from legal fathers (as far as nationality law is concerned) who are not natural fathers - a passport is a privilege, not a right. However, I have not heard of the passport office demanding to see the passports of people who had no reason to have them, so relax.

My point exactly.

The agent I used also recommended including a copy of the passport ID page of the person who countersigns the child's photograph, but I'm not sure it is really required.

I believe that is not necessary if the countersignatory is a British passport holder.

• Like 1

My point exactly.

It is all here:-

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/applying/child/united-kingdom

Supporting documents here:-

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/applying/child/united-kingdom

Cost £76.01

As far as proof of address is concerned I have found the passport office in Liverpool to be quite flexible. They will accept alternatives if a good reason is provided for not meeting the listed requirements.

• Like 1

But you used an agent.

Blue book entries, yellow book entries and driving license are all under 12 months old.

My point exactly.

Being unable to supply proof of being in the same country should not be a problem. There are many reasons not to have such proof.

The problem would be if the mother was in one country for the last year and the father was in another country for all of this time. At the least, I believe questions would be asked.

I've attached a screenshot of the relevant requirement.

post-234880-0-10412100-1455197425_thumb.

Edited by blackcab

My point exactly.

I believe that is not necessary if the countersignatory is a British passport holder.

It's not a requirement for any countersignatory. They have to list their nationality in Section 8 and cross out the incorrect nationalities in the declaration.

In the case of sloppy writing, however, it would save HMPO having to contact them to clarify the issue.

Edited by blackcab

But you used an agent.

Blue book entries, yellow book entries and driving license are all under 12 months old.

I am not sure if what you have written is what you meant to say.

Those 3 documents will usually be older than 12 months and I have experience of a yellow tabien baan being rejected by Liverpool for that reason.

My point exactly.

It's not a requirement for any countersignatory. They have to list their nationality in Section 8 and cross out the incorrect nationalities in the declaration.

In the case of sloppy writing, however, it would save HMPO having to contact them to clarify the issue.

The guidance notes clearly state that if the countersignatory is not a British passport holder then a copy of their passport is required.

post-57434-14552000734613_thumb.jpg

My point exactly.

Wrong.... smile.png Sloppy handwriting ??????? cheesy.gifcheesy.gif... there are only 9 digits to enter, if they can't manage that they don't deserve a passport.

There IS a requirement for a copy of passports as below:-

If you’re applying outside the UK

Your countersignatory must have a current British, Irish or other EU, US or Commonwealth passport.

If they have a US, Commonwealth, or non-British or non-Irish EU passport, you must include with your application a colour photocopy of the page with their photograph on it.

Your application will be processed faster if they have a British or Irish passport.

Edited by Jip99

But you used an agent.

Those 3 documents will usually be older than 12 months and I have experience of a yellow tabien baan being rejected by Liverpool for that reason.

I understand, but fortunately in my case the documents were under 12 months old.

My wife recently (finally) got round to transferring from her parents house book to her own, which had previously been blank. On that basis I got my yellow book. My son was born recently too and went in the blue book. This all happened within the last 12 months.

My driving license was up for renewal a few months back, which was a complete (and lucky) coincidence.

For the next renewal, however, I know I'm not going to be so lucky.

My point exactly.

Wrong.... but keep digging smile.png Sloppy handwriting ??????? cheesy.gifcheesy.gif... there are only 9 digits to enter, if they can't manage that they don't deserve a passport.

There IS a requirement for a copy of passports as below:-

If youre applying outside the UK

Your countersignatory must have a current British, Irish or other EU, US or Commonwealth passport.

If they have a US, Commonwealth, or non-British or non-Irish EU passport, you must include with your application a colour photocopy of the page with their photograph on it.

Your application will be processed faster if they have a British or Irish passport.

Apologies for the error. My countersignatory was Irish and I didn't enclose a copy of his passport. I mistakenly believed the same applied to the other nationalities.

But you used an agent.

I understand, but fortunately in my case the documents were under 12 months old.

My wife recently (finally) got round to transferring from her parents house book to her own, which had previously been blank. On that basis I got my yellow book. My son was born recently too and went in the blue book. This all happened within the last 12 months.

My driving license was up for renewal a few months back, which was a complete (and lucky) coincidence.

For the next renewal, however, I know I'm not going to be so lucky.

For future reference it may be useful to know that I received confirmation from the passport office in Liverpool that they would accept a signed copy a wife's ID card with a statement confirming that the applicant was living with them at said address. Obviously, the ID card needs translating.

Edited by Jip99
  • Like 1

The guidance notes clearly state that if the countersignatory is not a British passport holder then a copy of their passport is required.

I would wager that 90% of the UK passport applications are countersigned by UK citizens.

It would be an unusual (but not unknown) situation where an applicant did not know a fellow Brit who could countersign for him. If not British (or Irish) then a copy of the main passport page is required.

Thanks all for the helpful information.

The VFS replied to my email asking what documentation is required and here is their response below.

These are the required documents for First Child Passport :

- Application form and payment form

Child Documents :

- Birth Certificate

- 2 photograph, white or light grey background with countersign (size 3.5x4.5 cm)

- Non-British passport (If have) ( copy every page)

- Certificate of Change Name or Change surname (if have)

- Document showing Thai addresses e.g. House Book.

Parents Documents :

- Birth Certificate

- Passport (bio-data page)

- Document showing Thai address e.g. leases agreement, immigration letter, phone bill or electric bill, ID Card, House Book etc.

- Marriage Certificate(if have)

- Certificate of Change Name or Change surname (if have)

- ID card

Please Note: All documents have to make colour copy and all document that are not in English please fully translate into English with professional translator.

For child application parents or guardians can apply on their behalf, they no need to be attend.

More information please visit: https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/applying/child

Best wishes,

HMPO Bangkok Officer

--------

VFS GLOBAL

EST. 2001 | Partnering Governments. Providing Solutions.

The Trendy Office Building, 28 Floor, 10/200 Sukhumvit soi 13, Klongtoey-Nua, Wattana, Bangkok 10110 Thailand

E mail : [email protected]

• Like 2

My point exactly.

Yes I believe the agent was being over-cautious.

The bizarre thing is that there are at least 3 different sets of supporting documents, depending on the country one is applying from - Group 1, Group 2 and Group 3. For Afghanistan (the default overseas location) and India one is directed to Group 3, but for Thailand one is directed to Group 2. Only Group 3 asks for "both parents' passports at the time of conception". Conceivably this relates to what information is provided on birth certificates.