Cost of cigarettes in Thailand rises 5-10 baht

webfact

Cost of cigarettes in Thailand rises 5-10 baht

BANGKOK:-- The Thai government has agreed to increase cigarette excise tax.

Effective immediately, smokers can now expect to pay between an additional 5-10 baht per pack of cigarettes..

The tax hike, which targets both value and volume, will net the government an estimated 12 billion baht in revenue between now and the end of the fiscal year.

The government is hoping that increase in price will help to reduce cigarette consumption in Thailand.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-02-10

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The government is hoping that increase in price will help to reduce cigarette consumption in Thailand.

Hilarious, they just want the 12 Billion Baht per year, every year and more with future price rises.

They even banned electronic cigarettes and the only reason I can think of for this is to encourage people to continue smoking and remove the competition.

I guess Thailand does learn a lot from the 'west' as they've been doing the same there for decades.

Edited by ukrules

Didn't the price of cigarettes just increase a few months ago by 3 baht.

Effective immediately. So which is it 5,6,7,8,9 or 10 baht per pack.

Seeing as the economy is in the tanks lets raise the tax on cigarettes again in order to gain some taxes so we can afford to pay for all these subsidies we are providing.

Seeing as the economy is in the tanks lets raise the tax on cigarettes again in order to gain some taxes so we can afford to pay for all these subsidies we are providing.

Are you Thai?

If not the part about "We" must mean you and the mouse in your pocket.

"We" are just spectators.

Unlike Europe, S. America or N. America, "We" will always be farangs/outsiders and will never be able to blend in, own property, become citizens, nor heaven forbid, ever be able to vote.

Hilarious, they just want the 12 Billion Baht per year, every year and more with future price rises.

They even banned electronic cigarettes and the only reason I can think of for this is to encourage people to continue smoking and remove the competition.

I guess Thailand does learn a lot from the 'west' as they've been doing the same there for decades.

Maybe there is a very good reason for banning the e cigs which in the west are directed a lot to KIDS...big tobacco controls e cigs and they love nothing more than to keep and recruit new addicts..

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/31178650/study-finds-potentially-harmful-chemicals-used-in-e-cig-flavor-liquids

Are you Thai?

Unlike Europe, S. America or N. America, "We" will always be farangs/outsiders and will never be able to blend in, own property, become citizens, nor heaven forbid, ever be able to vote.

By the look of things we have a lot in common with Thais concerning the final item in your list of 'things we can't do'.

Edited by Bluespunk

I saw tobacco on the market, 40 baht a kg. Is it legal to sell tobacco like that? And is it legal to put it in a paper and sell like cigarette? That's what will happen if they keep raising the price.

I don't care because i get taxfree cigarettes from every friend who fly's into Thailand.

Are you Thai?

By the look of things we have a lot in common with Thais concerning the final item in your list of 'things we can't do'.

....And they wonder why we don't bother to learn the language.

------------------

Sorry for getting a bit off topic above. Back on topic, I'm almost 50. I need to give up the cancer sticks, as much as I do love my nicotine.

Prices have never affected me. Hang on. Need to light a smoke........

Been toking 30+ years now. Time to give it up.

I plan to live forever, but I've seen very few 2 pack a day old people out there.

I DO know a fairly healthy 81 year old guy that smokes half a dozen Swisher Sweets a day.

One thing I despise though are the anti-smoking Nazi brigade.

Bunch of busy-bodies, that just HAVE to tell other people what to do. I disagree with that.

''Cost of cigarettes in Thailand rises 5-10 baht''

Good

Could you please elaborate?

Sounds like you disapprove of other peoples' choices?

Very personal reasons, which I have no intention of discussing here.

However suffice to say I despise the poison these filthy things introduce into people's bodies.

Whether they smoke or just get too close to those who do.

How much of a choice when addiction is involved ?

It's all in the cards dude.

One man's addiction is another man's game.

I have a back scratcher/wooden thing that I never had till about a year ago.

Now my back itches all the time, and it feels SOOOOOO good to scratch it. I'm addicted. Really. I am.

My back itches for no reason at all now.

Are you Thai?

By saying "we" i was referring to the government and not us non Thais.

Smokers pollute the air I breath in and should be taxed to the max. Raise it another 100 baht.

Ba-fricking-wa!

Your great grandfather grew up w/ either wood or coal or kerosene for heat. You breathe a bazillion car/truck/taxi/bus fumes every day, but you blame your air pollution on ciggies?

''Cost of cigarettes in Thailand rises 5-10 baht''

Good

Could you please elaborate?

Sounds like you disapprove of other peoples' choices?

Very personal reasons, which I have no intention of discussing here.

However suffice to say I despise the poison these filthy things introduce into people's bodies.

Whether they smoke or just get too close to those who do.

I respect your intelligent reply BP.

Are you Thai?

By saying "we" i was referring to the government and not us non Thais.

It would seem then that "We" are in fact not providing any subsidies eh?

Another bash at the Working Man, he doesnt have much here as it is. His Beer n Baccy , always a cheap shot by those who can afford Cigars n Champers, and yes i am a Dirty Capitalist.coffee1.gif

Sounds like a quote from Doug Casey if I am not mistaken?

Beer n Baccy. Love that shit!

I don't care for cigars and don't much care for champagne, but I'll never begrudge those that do.

To each his own I say. None of my damned business.

Are you Thai?

Congratulations on being totally off topic. It takes a rare talent to turn a discussion on taxation into a rant exposing your own feelings of disenfranchisement. Edited by HooHaa

I used this as a hypothetical thought that would have been the reasoning behind the tax hike.

"Seeing as the economy is in the tanks lets raise the tax on cigarettes again in order to gain some taxes so we can afford to pay f or all these subsidies we are providing."

Got it

Are you Thai?

You will be an outsider in every country outside your native land!

Around here the locals smoke rolly weed as they buy papers to roll their own. Back in Oz they call it chop chop as it's the head and tail of the leaf that doesn't go into tailor made ciggies

I think the bag is about 250gms and sells for 20 baht......no tax either!