Teacher Licensing, Culture Testing, TCT

Boatabike

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read somewhere, I think it was on the"working with Filipinos" thread that the TCT don't check Degrees when issuing waivers. The degrees are only checked when applying for a licence.

I know of two guys who have been turned down for waivers, their first, because they do not have a degree. I know of another 2 guys who have used a "degree" for which they did not study. A waiver was issued.

I've read somewhere, I think it was on the"working with Filipinos" thread that the TCT don't check Degrees when issuing waivers. The degrees are only checked when applying for a licence.

That's my observation too despite the fact that the TCT writes in its requirements that the university degree must be certified/ accredited by the TEPC or CSC/ OCSC.

That's my observation too despite the fact that the TCT writes in its requirements that the university degree must be certified/ accredited by the TEPC or CSC/ OCSC.

I think that accredation policy would exclude polytechnic schools like "Radgapat University". I don't see any accredation anywhere outside of Thailand. Please correct me if I have been misinformed.

I think that accredation policy would exclude polytechnic schools like "Radgapat University". I don't see any accredation anywhere outside of Thailand. Please correct me if I have been misinformed.

Apologise, I don't understand what you're saying there, mizzi. The Teachers' Council of Thailand is referring in its Provisional Teaching Permit requirements that the applicant should hold a degree certified by the TEPC or CSC/ OCSC. Until now I haven't found the TEPC's database but I did find the OCSC's database. It's all in the Thai language. In this database are all Thai and foreign universities stored that are accredited by the OCSC.

• 4 weeks later...

I have just checked and I am on waiver 2 sad.png

My first waiver I used for 18 months and then left the school no problems.

My 2nd waiver I only used at a school for 2 1/2 months as a stop gap not thinking about this I left and I am working for a Language School and currently don't need a waiver. Can you inform Krusapha that you no longer work for the school with evidence to back it up, when you left etc..?

I don't l know if it would achieve anything mind.

I just feel cheated wink.png

My other question is, can I attend the Knowledge Tests without doing the Thai Culture Course first?

Also not having a current TL Waiver for my Language school is that OK to do? I have a degree BTW.

Cheers in advance

biggrin.png

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I know this but if I want to improve myself or job at a later stage is it possible?

I am happy at the moment but you never know what is around the corner.

:D

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the English Language Proficiency test for non-native speakers is also required for the real teaching license?

I find it in the requirements for the temporary waiver, but not in the requirements for the teaching licence.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to confirm something. Is a waiver letter or TL required when applying for a WP for the first year of a new job or only when renewing a WP? A guy I met recently said he just changes jobs every year as that way he doesn't need anything from the TCT!

Just wanted to confirm something. Is a waiver letter or TL required when applying for a WP for the first year of a new job or only when renewing a WP? A guy I met recently said he just changes jobs every year as that way he doesn't need anything from the TCT!

Always required for a work permit and an extension of stay, but depending on the type of school. Some type of schools, such as universities and language schools are exempt as they don't fall under the Teachers Council.

A very few labour offices and immirgaiton offices don't seem to enforce it, but in general

Does anyone know if the English Language Proficiency test for non-native speakers is also required for the real teaching license?

I find it in the requirements for the temporary waiver, but not in the requirements for the teaching licence.

The current requirements for a TCT teacher license don't state that applicant must hold a TOEIC/ TOEFL or IELTS certificate. However, it's very likely that applicant had a provisional teaching permit prior the teacher license.

The current requirements for a TCT teacher license don't state that applicant must hold a TOEIC/ TOEFL or IELTS certificate. However, it's very likely that applicant had a provisional teaching permit prior the teacher license.

Thanks for your reply. That is also how I read it.

As I allready had a waiver under the old rules, for my renewal of the waiver early this year I didn't need to show the language test for non-native speakers.

Yes, this has been cropping up just recently- something about an "exam" that everyone must "pass" (soon!) without any real info yet about just What The **** They Are Talking About- probably mostly because the schools are still mostly out. I have heard some sort of rumbling about this indirectly from my school as well, though all teachers are already out and we have already had our WP's and everything processed this year. In other words, the Ministries have ALREADY decided we qualify, but now we don't.

The closest thing I've heard to detail comes from a post on another website, but it might be true: someone said they heard that all teachers without TEFL certs who've been teaching less than 3 years will be asked to pass *some* sort of exam on Thai culture. This is likely more accurate than anything we'll hear officially anytime soon.

What does this mean? God knows. Obviously some moron at the top feels that it will somehow clear out the majority of dodgy teachers (who have no work permits and are off the official radar entirely) to harass those of us who actually qualify for them, or even already have them. Predictions: the test will be completely inapplicable to non-TEFL teachers, but we'll have to take it anyway. The test will be full of largely inaccurate but very proper-sounding platitudes about what "should' be true in Thai culture, which we will bob our heads at blithely and get passed for. After all, are there ANY tests given by Thai institutions at ANY level which ANY one in Thailand can actually fail?

Cynically yours,

"Steven"

The latest teacher exam in ISAAN was failed by all who took it. Nationally less than 10% passed it. Does that sound like a test taken anywhere or anytime that is right?

Yes, this has been cropping up just recently- something about an "exam" that everyone must "pass" (soon!) without any real info yet about just What The **** They Are Talking About- probably mostly because the schools are still mostly out. I have heard some sort of rumbling about this indirectly from my school as well, though all teachers are already out and we have already had our WP's and everything processed this year. In other words, the Ministries have ALREADY decided we qualify, but now we don't.

The closest thing I've heard to detail comes from a post on another website, but it might be true: someone said they heard that all teachers without TEFL certs who've been teaching less than 3 years will be asked to pass *some* sort of exam on Thai culture. This is likely more accurate than anything we'll hear officially anytime soon.

What does this mean? God knows. Obviously some moron at the top feels that it will somehow clear out the majority of dodgy teachers (who have no work permits and are off the official radar entirely) to harass those of us who actually qualify for them, or even already have them. Predictions: the test will be completely inapplicable to non-TEFL teachers, but we'll have to take it anyway. The test will be full of largely inaccurate but very proper-sounding platitudes about what "should' be true in Thai culture, which we will bob our heads at blithely and get passed for. After all, are there ANY tests given by Thai institutions at ANY level which ANY one in Thailand can actually fail?

Cynically yours,

"Steven"

The latest teacher exam in ISAAN was failed by all who took it. Nationally less than 10% passed it. Does that sound like a test taken anywhere or anytime that is right?

How do you know this, sunkist? The Professional Knowledge Tests consist of 4 sections. AFAIK, data is only available on section level. These are the results of Test #11 Khon Kaen. Section 1 - 92%, section 2 - 0%, section 3 - 50% and section 4 - 73%.

Edited by aidenai

Actually the test you're referring to, was one for government positions for teachers.

The test which we need to take, in order to get our teachers licence, had the pass rates which Aidenai posted

I took the tests myself, and passed both test 1 and 4 (with 74/150 for test 3, so almostttt passed it). I'm not surprised that test 2 had a 0% pass rate, as it was a terrible test.

• Like 1

(with 74/150 for test 3, so almostttt passed it).

Bad, bad luck, SlyAnimal. I hope you'll have more luck at Test #12.

I have just checked and I am on waiver 2 sad.png

My first waiver I used for 18 months and then left the school no problems.

My 2nd waiver I only used at a school for 2 1/2 months as a stop gap not thinking about this I left and I am working for a Language School and currently don't need a waiver. Can you inform Krusapha that you no longer work for the school with evidence to back it up, when you left etc..?

I don't l know if it would achieve anything mind.

I just feel cheated wink.png

My other question is, can I attend the Knowledge Tests without doing the Thai Culture Course first?

Also not having a current TL Waiver for my Language school is that OK to do? I have a degree BTW.

Cheers in advance

biggrin.png

Hello,

yes, you can take the Tests without attending the TCT Course first. I believe that taking the Tests should be enough to get you a further waiver.

However sooner or later you will have to take the Tests anyway before you apply for the TL.

I hope it helps.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...