Teacher Licensing, Culture Testing, TCT

Boatabike

In my country you don't get an actual license like you do get in Thailand.

I will not have a full teaching degree, but just like people with a degree in education I can get an official letter from my government. It will be in English and in my case stating that I have a law degree and as a result I 'm allowed to teach Law at secondary schools and vocational schools. Since the letter is provided free I might give it a try anyway, but would be nice if someone actually in the same situation has any experience with getting a license.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my country you don't get an actual license like you do get in Thailand.

I will not have a full teaching degree, but just like people with a degree in education I can get an official letter from my government. It will be in English and in my case stating that I have a law degree and as a result I 'm allowed to teach Law at secondary schools and vocational schools. Since the letter is provided free I might give it a try anyway, but would be nice if someone actually in the same situation has any experience with getting a license.

i would say extremely unlikely... is it law you want to teach????

If English you will have to join us in taking the tests... joy.

Well, there are several ways to interpret the quoted information. A license to teach law is a teaching license, not everyone with a teaching license teaches English.

Preacher. It is what the TCT accept that matters. And on past dealings if it is NOT a license in its own right. Then it's not allowed.

This is Thailand they do it their way.

Well, there are several ways to interpret the quoted information. A license to teach law is a teaching license, not everyone with a teaching license teaches English.

Preacher. It is what the TCT accept that matters. And on past dealings if it is NOT a license in its own right. Then it's not allowed.

Thanks for your reply. The earlier comments didn't make clear if people had actual experience with getting a teaching license in a case like mine, your reply suggests people have tried it and it is a no go. That is the information I'm after; is it worth a try or not. Apperently not.

Thanks for your reply. The earlier comments didn't make clear if people had actual experience with getting a teaching license in a case like mine, your reply suggests people have tried it and it is a no go. That is the information I'm after; is it worth a try or not. Apperently not.

I would say not. But hey this is Thailand. It's all about the person on the day. If the letter states that you have a teaching license then give it a go. Nothing to lose really.

Since I get the letter for free I will try. No is alreadt what i have, so nothing lost by trying.

Will take some months, but will report back on the results.

Well, it seems that my university and ministry of education disagree about the regulation allowing me to teach with simply a degree. The ministry of education in my country says that rule was rescinded 10 years before I got my degree, my university is of the opinion that rule was still valid when I got my degree.

Knowing my university, my bet is that the my ministry of education is right and this is a no go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Since I get the letter for free I will try. No is alreadt what i have, so nothing lost by trying.

Will take some months, but will report back on the results.

Well, it seems that my university and ministry of education disagree about the regulation allowing me to teach with simply a degree. The ministry of education in my country says that rule was rescinded 10 years before I got my degree, my university is of the opinion that rule was still valid when I got my degree.

Knowing my university, my bet is that the my ministry of education is right and this is a no go.

Fooluw up:

My education ministry stated in an email that I'am not eligable for a teaching licence letter from my country and qouted the law. After checking the law I found that I could not understand their comment, so I applied for the letter anyway and stated why I thought they were wrong. Seems I really earned my law degree, as they have now confirmed that their interpretation of the law was wrong and that I am entitled to a "teaching" license. They send me a copy of the letter by e-mail and will send the original by mail.

I have asked the Teachers Council of Thailand if my teaching license for teaching Law is enough for a teaching license under route 1. As I hoped, It seems it is.

Hold a degree in Education or an equivalent or in other related fields accredited by the Teachers Council of Thailand or

Hold other degrees and a teaching license from abroad or

• Hold other degrees and a graduate diploma in Education with 1 year course of study

With the Cultral course and Professional ethics (and a TOEFL as non-native speaker, I can now apply for a Teaching Licence.

Edited by Preacher

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Mario. I was aware of that site. Last I heard was that some people were having their applications rejected as the TCT has suspended the course again.

???????

Urgent Announcement !
All applicants who have applied for Thai Culture Training Program on
any training batches, please be informed that we can not offer any training
program right now due to the executive committee of TCT still having not
allowed any institutes to offer the training program yet.
We will inform you as soon as we receive the permission from TCT. We
would like to apologize for any inconvenient that this announcement might
have caused to you.
Edited by Scott
Font

News we have here is the following.

Work permits will be tied to a teaching licence.

To obtain a teaching licence you must fullfil one of the following criterea.

1 Be a qualified teacher or have a degree in education.

2 Have a degree and have been on a work permit from before 2003.

3 have a degree and pass a ministry of education exam in English and Thai culture. The exams will be taken in Bangkok and regional centres after a seminar.

All the schools here in Nakhon have been in communication with the min. of ed. and they have assured the schools this will be going ahead.

Going to cause ructions and a teacher shortage if it does :whistling:

MAybe a foreigner teacher shortage might actually be the goal. Too much free thinking going on around students, they might learn something about independence of thought.

• 3 weeks later...

Other than being concerned about you ED I'll do more research for your workpermit. The do not give them out easily and you need quite a bit of paperwork that you wont find in Tailand. I am talking about previous diplomas , letters of recommendation from former employers, prove of how much you have earned. Then letters for the school you gonna work for how much they need you and how much they will pay you. And this is just a start before you get your WP it will take some time and can only be organised in Tland. Do your research on getting a WP then an ED an ED is not that nessasary a WP is if you want to stay legal. A lot of schools will tell you you do not need aWP cause they have to pay for it and they are pretty expensive. So ask when you have contact with TEFL what you need for a WP if they say nothing from you homecountry the are deff. Lying or all needs to be forged. Just a headsup

here if you get caught working without a WP you can get yourself in serious trouble, big big fine, kicked out of the country and more fun stuff.

Good luck

Other than being concerned about you ED I'll do more research for your workpermit. The do not give them out easily and you need quite a bit of paperwork that you wont find in Tailand. I am talking about previous diplomas , letters of recommendation from former employers, prove of how much you have earned. Then letters for the school you gonna work for how much they need you and how much they will pay you. And this is just a start before you get your WP it will take some time and can only be organised in Tland. Do your research on getting a WP then an ED an ED is not that nessasary a WP is if you want to stay legal. A lot of schools will tell you you do not need aWP cause they have to pay for it and they are pretty expensive. So ask when you have contact with TEFL what you need for a WP if they say nothing from you homecountry the are deff. Lying or all needs to be forged. Just a headsup

here if you get caught working without a WP you can get yourself in serious trouble, big big fine, kicked out of the country and more fun stuff.

Good luck

Are you okay on this beautiful Sunday afternoon, mate?

Culture and Ethics Course is back on:

Dear Prospective Participants,

We are to inform you that the Teachers Council of Thailand (TCT) has now

authorized the Faculty of Education, Suan Dusit Rajabhat University to offer the Training

Program on Thai Language, Culture and Teacher Professional Code of Ethics for foreign

teachers.

According to TCT regulations, we have to specify the training schedules for five

batches together with the list of participants in each batch, and submit them in advance

to TCT for approval. The number of participants in each batch must not exceed 40.

In order to organize the Training Program in compliance with the above

regulations, we have set up tentative training schedules for the five batches as follows:

Batch 1: July 13 – 15, 2013

Batch 2: August 24 – 26, 2013

Batch 3: September 28 – 30, 2013

Batch 4: October 5 – 7, 2013

Batch 5: November 9 – 11, 2013

More info here:

http://dusithost.dusit.ac.th/~education/slide_images/slide-25.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know when (or if) they are offering the TCT
(tests) for this coming year? I have taken all four and passed one. I need to
take at least one (I think) to show that I am working towards the requirement
in order to get another waver. This was told to me by the TC. I went there in
person and received waiver number three last year. They stated that as long as I
was working towards the "requirement" showing that I am “improving”
myself, I could be eligible for another waiver. My current waiver will expire
on April 30th 2014. I cannot access the TC website nor can I find any
information about the tests. An advanced thank you for anyone who may have
updated information.

I guess you're lucky, mizzi39. My friend and colleague was refused the third waiver despite having sat the Professional Knowledge Test in 2012, having applied for the one in May 2013 and holding the Thai Language, Culture and Ethics certificate. This was February 2013.

I think the TCT Professional Knowledge Test #12 will be held in November or December 2013. Proof? No, just looking back since 2007.

Thanks for the information aidenai. Did your friend go to the TC in person or did administration apply for him (her)? Makes a difference as it is at their discretion. I went on my own with a letter of invite from my school stating that I was "essential" to the program. They made the decision right there and then. Would be interested to hear about other experiences.

Thanks for the information aidenai. Did your friend go to the TC in person or did administration apply for him (her)? Makes a difference as it is at their discretion. I went on my own with a letter of invite from my school stating that I was "essential" to the program. They made the decision right there and then. Would be interested to hear about other experiences.

He went with his Thai administrator more than once, mizzi. Since 2012, the TCT maintains a database for the provisional teaching permits and teacher licenses. It's definitely not accurate. Some members reported being on a third provisional teaching permit but the database only showed it as being the first one. In the current provisional teaching permit requirements only a first and second is mentioned. My friend was on his second waiver.

He went with his Thai administrator more than once, mizzi. Since 2012, the TCT maintains a database for the provisional teaching permits and teacher licenses. It's definitely not accurate. Some members reported being on a third provisional teaching permit but the database only showed it as being the first one. In the current provisional teaching permit requirements only a first and second is mentioned. My friend was on his second waiver.

So where to now? What are the consequences of not getting the provisional licence the third time? Does one need to leave the country and reapply again at a new job? I don't know anyone who has been refused (yet), so don't know the situation.

I could be wrong (I frequently am), but I believe the Teacher's License is something that has to do with you more specifically than the school. Thus if you have been refused, you will likely be refused again. You are still the same person even if you work at a different school.

The school, however, makes the application on your behalf.

I could be wrong (I frequently am), but I believe the Teacher's License is something that has to do with you more specifically than the school. Thus if you have been refused, you will likely be refused again. You are still the same person even if you work at a different school.

The school, however, makes the application on your behalf.

Since the TCT database was developed early 2012, I think the TCT can search on passport numbers, names and schools/ agencies. Here's a screenshot. Translation done by Google.

Status_2_zpsc8fbc8cb.jpg

Below is the link to the database. Use the full name in capitals OR the passport number. Not both.

http://www.ksp.or.th/service/license_search.php

Edited by aidenai

I'm in the database, but only with my new application. The old one, from before 2012 and under a different passport (number), does not show.

You can search yourself on name and/or passport number, not sure if you can also search on school. But that might be availeble to the Kruasapa only, for privacy reasons.

• Like 1

Thanks for the link aidenai. I just looked myself up. In the "note" section they only show me applying "for the first time."

That's good to hear, mizzi. Provided that you're going to do something to meet the requirements, you'll be good for a second provisional teaching permit. You're good until 2016. How's that?

• Like 1

An associate of mine has just got a new waiver. It is shown as his first but in fact is his second. Anyway, I know for a fact that he does not have a Degree, has never taken the culture course or any tests.

How did he get it?

Maybe he got a "life" degree. Do they work?

I heard of some one using a "life" degree until they had successfully graduated with a "real" degree.

Surely the TCT would notice the change of Uni?