Bring cash to Thailand

wally1k

The Thai customs limit is $20,000.00 US. Over that and you are required to report it. (And, in my opinion, that would be a bad idea.) Technically, that's per traveller so you could each - in theory - bring $20K.

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/travellers/arriving+in+thailand/arrivinginthailand

If you are talking about bringing US dollars, keep in mind that the US Treasury limits the amount of cash you can export to $10,000.00, without reporting. That is applicable to either a single traveler and/or for a couple traveling together. (So you can't each take 9,999.00 out.)

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/195/~/currency-and-monetary-instruments---amount-that-can-be-brought-into-or-leave

• Like 1

The Thai customs limit is $20,000.00 US. Over that and you are required to report it. (And, in my opinion, that would be a bad idea.) Technically, that's per traveller so you could each - in theory - bring $20K.

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/travellers/arriving+in+thailand/arrivinginthailand

If you are talking about bringing US dollars, keep in mind that the US Treasury limits the amount of cash you can export to $10,000.00, without reporting. That is applicable to either a single traveler and/or for a couple traveling together. (So you can't each take 9,999.00 out.)

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/195/~/currency-and-monetary-instruments---amount-that-can-be-brought-into-or-leave

Sorry i do not understand why if bringing US dollars nust care about US Treasury limits if talking about Thailand?
  • Like 1

It is $20,000 US or equivalent as The Appletons correctly posted. So if there are 2 of you, you can bring $40,000 without reporting.

N.B.

Reporting is not a hassle and my experience is that the Customs Officer could not care less provided you are not bringing in huge amounts.

The limits are different if bringing Baht but this is not likely to be the case.

It is important to note that you must declare cash being taken out of the country you came from. e.g. from the U.K. this is 10,000 Euros or equivalent.

There is a barstool myth that the reporting limit for Thailand is $10,000 US. You yourself seem to have encountered this myth already. Do not believe this myth. It is not the case. However the barflies will insist it is the case and many believe, "It is the most you can bring in." So, they are wrong on 2 counts. It is a very persistent myth.

Sorry i do not understand why if bringing US dollars nust care about US Treasury limits if talking about Thailand?

I'd suggest it's because they mentioned US dollars, it was assumed they were travelling from the US. When travelling from the US , you must report your monies if over the amount mentioned above, hence the suggestion to be aware of the US Treasury limits.

Further to note, wherever you are departing from, the main reason for the reporting is to check for illegitimate/ undeclared income, and more importantly (for authorities) if tax has been paid. If your money is legitimate then you have nothing to worry about but have the bank withdrawal receipt or even a bank statement with you and it will make life easier. There are many legitimate reasons to carry large amounts of cash, but cash wrapped in rubber bands/ stashed loosely with no paper trail raises a red flag immediately and can warrant further investigation.

Also consider if you do not report you are carrying an amount over the prescribed limit, the cash can (and regularly does) get confiscated on the spot. So check with official department/s before travelling as its a case of guilty until proven innocent. (Thai Visa is great for general advice, but it's not official)

Bringing currency in or out of Thailand

Any person who brings or takes an aggregate amount of foreign currency exceeding USD20,000 or its equivalent out of or into Thailand shall declare such amount of foreign currency to a Customs Officer.

Failure to declare upon bringing currency that exceeds the amount restricted by law or its equivalent out of or into Thailand or making any false declaration to a Customs Officer is a criminal offence.

For Thai currency (Baht), any person can bring total amount not exceed THB500,000 to any Thailand’s bounded countries and not exceed THB50,000 to any destination countries.

More than that mentioned amount, you have to declare to a Customs Officer or exchange to others currency before depart from Thailand.

Further information, you can contact The Customs Department at

Tel: +66-2-249-0431 or hot line no. 1164.

There's three risk elements to bringing cash into Thailand, scrutiny at departure, scrutiny at arrivals and bank scrutiny at the destination, not to mention the funds being stolen in transit.

I rate departure scrutiny the biggest threat.

You can bring as much as you dare to carry. Just declare it at customs. Takes 5 mins max, no questions asked. May be good to have that paper if you ever want to carry out the money as then you need to have to show the source or that you paid tax for it (foreign sourced or income in TH).

Traveler's checks are a thing of the past like vinyl 33rpm discs here in France and I much regret it. They used to be a convenient and cost-effective way to bring cash to my Thai account.

Now I need to bring in a few thousand Euros in notes at each trip and being worried about these getting lost of stolen until I put them in the bank. Admittedly the most risky part is the train trip to Charles de Gaulle airport, especially when at night.

When at the Kasikorn Bank where my account is, the most boring, unnerving and time-consuming part begins: watching the counter clerk photocopying each and every banknote, making me sign every sheet of paper and painstakingly checking every note for the tiniest spot or tear. An average one of 10-20 notes gets rejected, with "defects" I couldn't see without a magnifying glass. Takes 1+ hour for a couple thousand Euros.

AFAIK only KBANK does this crap, and it's a company policy. Maybe they don't do it in high tourist places because it would be too time consuming, but in BKK and around they do. Since I don't have a work permit anymore, moving my account to a different bank isn't quite an option.

Edited by Lannig
  • Like 1

On two occasions, when leaving the US, there was a US Customs agent stationed at the end of the jet way, just before the door into the plane. Both times, he rudely asked my wife to step out of line, and get up against the wall. Both times, he shot me a dirty look as I joined her. Several people, foreigners all, were detained this way. When it was our turn on the gril, the agent asked my wife, in a hostile tone of voice, how much cash she was carrying. Both times, she had no more than $40 US.

He seemed disappointed, and snapped at me when I spoke up for her, "You her husband?" "Yes", I said. I thought he might ask me how much cash i had. It was my habit to carry about $1000 US, to exchange at one of the street exchanges in CM.

I saw this champion of justice get real hard with another foreigner, who, in his estimation, hadn't been humble enough in answering his questions.

Homeland Security: KEEPING YOU SAFE!

On two occasions, when leaving the US, there was a US Customs agent stationed at the end of the jet way, just before the door into the plane. Both times, he rudely asked my wife to step out of line, and get up against the wall. Both times, he shot me a dirty look as I joined her. Several people, foreigners all, were detained this way. When it was our turn on the gril, the agent asked my wife, in a hostile tone of voice, how much cash she was carrying. Both times, she had no more than $40 US.

He seemed disappointed, and snapped at me when I spoke up for her, "You her husband?" "Yes", I said. I thought he might ask me how much cash i had. It was my habit to carry about $1000 US, to exchange at one of the street exchanges in CM.

I saw this champion of justice get real hard with another foreigner, who, in his estimation, hadn't been humble enough in answering his questions.

UK airports have sniffer dogs that signal their keepers when someone has more than about 1000 quid. They're pulled aside in a similar manner for a minor interrogation, and that's with tv cameras recording the bs for "UK Border Force". Quality television...not.

They use money sniffing dogs in the south bound lane at the Arizona-Mexico Border. They stopped a lady, who was not wearing her seatbelt, and noticed she was acting nervous. They then confiscated 170,000 USD from her. It's a new money maker, for law enforcement agencies. They use the money for new SUVs, etc..I've been stopped on the walk through gate...same line of questioning...anything more than 200 USD is answered with "why are you carrying so much cash?" I just remind them of how much their job costs the taxpayers on a daily basis. http://www.nogalesinternational.com/news/npd-taps-illicit-cash-to-pay-for-a-new-station/article_52d06bf8-519e-11e1-acc4-0019bb2963f4.html

In all my travels in & out of the US I've never even seen a US Customs agent while departing the country. There is no "immigration" upon leaving the country. You just go to the airport and through TSA security and fly yer ass outta there. I would not know whom to report an amount over 10K even if I had it. To TSA? Maybe I guess. To the lovely Korean Air gate agent? Probably not. Not to mention that my first and only pass through of TSA is somewhere in Confederate America for a flight that takes me to an international airport that takes me out of the country.

I guess it happens but I've never seen it.

Edited by bluebluewater

UK airports have sniffer dogs that signal their keepers when someone has more than about 1000 quid. They're pulled aside in a similar manner for a minor interrogation, and that's with tv cameras recording the bs for "UK Border Force". Quality television...not.

One of those little buggers got me in 2004 at Heathrow. Had £4,000 on me.

His handler had a chat with me and a quick look at my 'wad' and it was all over.

Only interested in amounts over 10,000.

Dog was good. Straight to the pocket with the money in it.

In all my travels in & out of the US I've never even seen a US Customs agent while departing the country. There is no "immigration" upon leaving the country. You just go to the airport and through TSA security and fly yer ass outta there. I would not know whom to report an amount over 10K even if I had it. To TSA? Maybe I guess. To the lovely Korean Air gate agent? Probably not. Not to mention that my first and only pass through of TSA is somewhere in Confederate America for a flight that takes me to an international airport that takes me out of the country.

I guess it happens but I've never seen it.

The Feds give the local agencies grants to local enforcement to search for illegal money. If you are exporting something that requires permission; it is up to you to go to the Customs office and report it.

Nothing different, the 5k was a leaving/out the door gesture, bravado and adrenaline with funding from a larger earlier win, I never went back. My second attempt at gambling and my last, my first saw me win 20 bucks at the wheel of fortune in Vegas, I know I know, as well as being a convicted leaf burner I'm also a died in the wool hard core gambler. biggrin.png

• Like 1

There's three risk elements to bringing cash into Thailand, scrutiny at departure, scrutiny at arrivals and bank scrutiny at the destination, not to mention the funds being stolen in transit.

Yeah, on my last trip back from the UK I had 2,000 pounds on me, and they made me take it out so I could go in the revolving machine to test for ....who knows what?, but I tried to keep my eyes on the cash, but not much I could do about it stuck in the machine if somebody nicked it...as it happened nobody did, but the customs officers may have eyed it up, but nothing happened and I went on my way with my cash

• Like 1

I think putting the envelope of cash in the front pouch of your bookbag or carry-on is the best way. You don't want to put loose bills in the tray. but if you don't and they find a wad in your pocket....it just adds more tension to the situation.

What about you talking? Departure from Where????

From HK any problem...up to 300k us$ i have experience

From London Declaration this show from Bank take out paper. Also any problem .

From Moscow also declaration go.

In Thailand bank may be get some time but 20 min i can wait its not big deal.

About stolen.

Protect Cash its can be on YOUR control.

Protect ammount in Bank its with out control.

Ih hacked account and have trasfered money . .

So have some reason use cash and have reason use not cash.

And in Thiss is topic talk about cash , how much can bring to Thailand.

So need talk about risk.

Ammount in bank have more risk witg out control owner amount.

• Like 1

Ardokano, I assume you have never left a UK airport with over 10,000 € equivalent. They have the power to confiscate cash until they are satisfied it came from a legitimate source. They regularly use this power.

Poster chiang mai has correctly pointed out the potential risks.