Cigarette purchase restriction

Na Fan

Girlfriend just got back from 7/11 and apparently she was not allowed to buy more than 2 packs of cigarettes, with the staff stating it's a new government regulation?

Couldn't find anything official on google - anyone have any information on that?

Is this just another brain fart that'll go away in a week?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure but for me a non smoke I think it is a great idea can save lots of life's .

Good on the thai government if it is true should do it in the west as well .

You probably also think that stopping people from buying beer in the 7/11 between 2pm and 5pm is going to save loads of lives as well ?

It will do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to stop smokers from buying what they want they will just go elsewhere. Something that nevers seems to occur to people like yourself or the people who make these ridiculous laws

Girlfriend just got back from 7/11 and apparently she was not allowed to buy more than 2 packs of cigarettes, with the staff stating it's a new government regulation?

Couldn't find anything official on google - anyone have any information on that?

The government just announced a price increase for ciggies. I guess your local shop still sells existing stock at the old price. The 2 packs limit is to prevent hoarding.

Not sure but for me a non smoke I think it is a great idea can save lots of life's .

You probably also think that stopping people from buying beer in the 7/11 between 2pm and 5pm is going to save loads of lives as well ?

It will do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to stop smokers from buying what they want they will just go elsewhere. Something that nevers seems to occur to people like yourself or the people who make these ridiculous laws

We are not talk about drinking we are talking about smoking.

You need to look at what smoking cost the governments in the long run with what happens to long time smoking it is a dirty habit and if I had my way I would have here like back home smokers smoke in the car park not were people eat .

And back home the new laws come in next year no more smoking in mall and were people eat out side the best thing that can happen.

Because people like you that smoke don't care about non smokers like me .

You need to look at what smoking cost the governments in the long run with what happens to long time smoking it is a dirty habit and if I had my way I would have here like back home smokers smoke in the car park not were people eat .

And back home the new laws come in next year no more smoking in mall and were people eat out side the best thing that can happen.

We are talking about government restriction. And limiting the number of packs purchased or raising the tax has little effect on whether people smoke or not.

If the thai government cared at all about smoking or ones health, they would allow E cigarettes. But they don't allow that because they won't get their tax cut on them. That's the reality....Cough cough....

Excellent, A true "bleeding heart" that cares about the well being of fellow humans. Hypocrisy at it's best.

This sort of people, that live in their conviction, that according to their wisdom, smoking, drinking a beer or two and having some occasional fun along the way is some sort of "Devils-Work" and has to be "outlawed". (Always for the benefit of the people)

By the way: Drugs have been "outlawed" a long time ago. Has the "drug-consumption" declined worldwide?

The point: People that feel empowered to tell other people how to live and what to do, are not far away from declaring "Democracy" as "Opium for the masses" We had this before.

Footnote: I have been smoking 2 1/2 packs of cigarettes per day for the last 45 years. Amazingly, I am still alive, as opposed to my fellow high-school graduates (mostly non-smokers), They are not around anymore. I am the last of the "Mohikans".

Time to light another cigarette.

Cheers.

We are talking about government restriction. And limiting the number of packs purchased or raising the tax has little effect on whether people smoke or not.

If the thai government cared at all about smoking or ones health, they would allow E cigarettes. But they don't allow that because they won't get their tax cut on them. That's the reality....Cough cough....

I am happy for you to smoke as long as you smoke in your home and if you are smoking for that long good on you but remember when you get sick and you will get sick not complain about it .

And one more thing do you ever seat down and think how much money you have spent on such a dirty habit.

Can't understand how people who smoke did not think about non smokers but just think about they dirty habit.

I see, then i 'll buy me a kilo thai tobacco on the market...40 baht and smoke that without a filter.

Why not forbid people to smoke without filter? That's much worse then with filter. And also get rid of them smokin' buses on the streets. They pull up every 300 metres, let passengers walk to a busstop like in every developed country....is good for their health as well.

I am happy for you to smoke as long as you smoke in your home and if you are smoking for that long good on you but remember when you get sick and you will get sick not complain about it .

And one more thing do you ever seat down and think how much money you have spent on such a dirty habit.

Can't understand how people who smoke did not think about non smokers but just think about they dirty habit.

I smoke on and off and I do think about the health consequences. I'm the guy that goes out to the street in an open bar to smoke. I hate smoking around people. I think it's rude and inconsiderate. I feel guilty if I ever do.

The money part I could care less about. Taxes will not discourage me. It's a drop in the bucket, but realistically if that money was in a 401k I would be much better off in the long term. Fortunately I live in thailand and work here and financial security relating to cigarettes is way down low on the things I need to worry about.

Agreed and I'm a smoker. If cigarettes were introduced today and with the health effects and addiction known, they wouldn't be legal.

I hate them. But I also love them.

Edited by MJP

Drinking a glass of wine or cold beer in moderation is relaxing and rejuvenating, even better when with friends. But smoking even just one cigarette is harmful, unsocial and a nasty habit.

Thank you for your narrow minded viewpoint.

I am not advocating smoking, but there have been several occasions in a business environment within AsIa where smoking has actually been a very good way for me and colleagues, suppliers, customers...etc to have a good may to relax and build relationships.

Agreed and I'm a smoker. If cigarettes were introduced today and with the health effects and addiction known, they wouldn't be legal.

I`m the same. People that don`t smoke have no idea what`s it`s like being a nicotine addict.

Went out to my local 7/11 tonight and bought 4 packets of cancer sticks at the old price, no problem.

I`m the same. People that don`t smoke have no idea what`s it`s like being a nicotine addict.

Went out to my local 7/11 tonight and bought 4 packets of cancer sticks at the old price, no problem.

I heard once that cigarettes were more addicting than heroin. I thought it was nonsense but the reality is its true. Imagine if 7-11 sold heroin...

(Que all the anti-everything to chime in)

Who said it is government restriction ?

The topic is about a single store

My smokes went from 68 baht to 87 baht at 7/11. 31% increase. Missus went from 40 to 50 .. 20% increase.

She said was to encourage 'thai people' to stop smoking?

I gently told her that it is money grab by the government .. its tax and they don't give a toss about people's health.

The government just announced a price increase for ciggies. I guess your local shop still sells existing stock at the old price. The 2 packs limit is to prevent hoarding.

It's an additional tax on cigarettes. A Thai friend bought a pack in a small local store for Baht 102 this morning, but he said that he thought they were now Baht 115 in convenience stores ... before they were 95 baht in 7/11 etc.

Even Friendship in Pattaya emptied their display case of cigarettes ahead of the tax coming into effect ... probably to see what they could charge.

It's covered here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/893910-cost-of-cigarettes-in-thailand-rises-5-10-baht/?p=10407081&hl

Edited by Suradit69

I smoke. When I smoke, I go outside. If I see people, I walk a long distance away from them. I never smoke near people eating. If I am walking down the sidewalk, I walk right next to the street and am careful to blow my smoke away from those walking on the sidewalk. If I cannot do this, I am sure to blow my smoke up so as not to offend the others. If I see a kid walking along, I am sure to hold the smoke behind my back, as I am afraid the kid might accidentally walk into my cigarette and burn himself. I NEVER drop my butt, always pinching off the hot box and putting the butt in my back pocket to dispose of properly when I return home.

Polite people do polite things. A$$holes don't. Doesn't matter what you apply that rule to.

Edited by timendres

I suspect it's to do with the price hike that has just come in.

Yesterday I bought 2 packs of fags at 7/11 at 68 baht each. Today I bought two packs at the same shop and they were 87 baht each.

I knew a rise was coming but it was advertised at between 5-12 baht. This is a 19 baht increase and maybe the staff were told to restrict selling 'existing' before the price rise could be implemented.

I guess it's called capitalism, or opportunism whichever you choose.

The government has just started another massive anti-smoking campaign so this may be a legitimate new law. Strange though.....not sure how limiting someone to 2 packs per purchase in a single store will help decrease smoking. Not like there is not an average of four 7-11 stores per block in BKK. So I guess you can still buy 8 packs by the end of the block.

I ALWAYS find that the ex-smokers are the biggest whingers, not the never have smoked crew. Once a smoker always a smoker I say, they whinge and whine because they still crave. I believe in quality not quantity. If have tried to give up many times and I can tell you that live is miserable craving all the time and its miserable for everyone around me....if they stick around!!

There's no restriction, it would hurt government earnings too much. As of tax rises every shop is normally forced to raise prices immediately, especially 7/11 and all the big stores selling with sales slips, they have to pay the higher taxes without delay. But most of the small shops take also advantage, always enjoying some extra profit (telling you that they have to obey the law and they fear controlls, but that's another story..).

There's no restriction, it would hurt government earnings too much. As of tax rises every shop is normally forced to raise prices immediately, especially 7/11 and all the big stores selling with sales slips, they have to pay the higher taxes without delay. But most of the small shops take also advantage, always enjoying some extra profit (telling you that they have to obey the law and they fear controlls, but that's another story..).

Im pretty sure they (the stores) pay the tax when they purchase the cigarettes from the supplier. Paying tax when they are sold makes no sense. How would they possibly keep track of that?

The whole reason they were limiting the amount at the one store was because they could sell them at the new rate later even though they paid the old tax rate.