Cigarette purchase restriction

Na Fan

It's sad, a post that started with someone asking a question about availability of fags on a specific day, caused simply by 7/11 wanting to make a killing on a tax hike, we now have the vitriolic ex-smokers banging on about how strong they are and how weak are we, those who like a puff now andagain.

I repeat, a respected friend of mine in the NHS has advised me that diabetes is the biggest problem and will be in years to come, the main cause of which is overweight and lack of any exercise. Maybe we should ban food.!

See how stupid some of these debates can be. I feel sorry for the guy who says he lost all his relatives over 70 to smoking. I'm 74, have smoked for 60 years, don't drink and exercise regularly. Clearly I'm lucky as my best mate died 4 years ago here in Thailand from lung cancer. He never smoked.

Yeah, I lost my mother and father both to smoking, dad at 85 and mom at 89.

I'm sure second hand smoke is going to get all us kids, just a matter of time...

You are so , so right second hand smoke is worst smoke lots of people die from lung cancer who are non smokers and some of it is from second hang smoke.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's sad, a post that started with someone asking a question about availability of fags on a specific day, caused simply by 7/11 wanting to make a killing on a tax hike, we now have the vitriolic ex-smokers banging on about how strong they are and how weak are we, those who like a puff now andagain.

I repeat, a respected friend of mine in the NHS has advised me that diabetes is the biggest problem and will be in years to come, the main cause of which is overweight and lack of any exercise. Maybe we should ban food.!

See how stupid some of these debates can be. I feel sorry for the guy who says he lost all his relatives over 70 to smoking. I'm 74, have smoked for 60 years, don't drink and exercise regularly. Clearly I'm lucky as my best mate died 4 years ago here in Thailand from lung cancer. He never smoked.

I'm sure second hand smoke is going to get all us kids, just a matter of time...

You are so , so right second hand smoke is worst smoke lots of people die from lung cancer who are non smokers and some of it is from second hang smoke.

You obviously haven't a clue what you're talking about. Maybe you should do a little research of your own, rather than believing all the propaganda you are spoon fed by the ever gullible media.

There have been many studies on SHS, but the two largest and most comprehensive were the study by Enstrom and Kabat in the USA, commissioned by the American Cancer Society, and the study by Boffetta et al in Europe, commissione by the WHO. Both the ACS and the WHO are rabidly anti-smoking, and were hoping for results that would prove once and for all that SHS was harmful.

Unfortunately for them, the Enstrom and Kabat study, which was conducted over decades, found no association between exposure to SHS and ill-health. The ACS, when they realised that they weren't going to get the answers they wanted, de-funded the study before it could be published, so the tobacco companies provided the funds for publication. Naturally, Tobacco Control immediately said that because the study was tainted with tobacco company money, it was worthless, despite the fact that those tobacco companies only provided funding for its publication, and had no influence over the study itself.

http://www.bmj.com/content/326/7398/1057.short

The other major study (Boffetta et al), commissioned by the WHO, which also involved tens of thousands of subjects and was done over a period of years, came to similar conclusions. They found no statistically significant results between exposure to SHS and ill-health. Interestingly, the only aspect of their research which did find a statistically significant result was in children. They found that children who were brought up in smoking households had much better health outcomes (I believe in the region of 20%) than children not exposed to SHS.

Again, this wasn't the result that the WHO wanted, so they just buried the report without publishing it.

http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/90/19/1440.full.pdf

Christopher Booker summarises here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1556118/Christopher-Bookers-notebook.html

You need to look at what smoking cost the governments in the long run with what happens to long time smoking it is a dirty habit and if I had my way I would have here like back home smokers smoke in the car park not were people eat .

You need to look at how much money in tax the governments collect from smokers vs the actual cost.

Governments make a massive net profit on smokers, they always have.

You obviously haven't a clue what you're talking about. Maybe you should do a little research of your own, rather than believing all the propaganda you are spoon fed by the ever gullible media.

There have been many studies on SHS, but the two largest and most comprehensive were the study by Enstrom and Kabat in the USA, commissioned by the American Cancer Society, and the study by Boffetta et al in Europe, commissione by the WHO. Both the ACS and the WHO are rabidly anti-smoking, and were hoping for results that would prove once and for all that SHS was harmful.

Unfortunately for them, the Enstrom and Kabat study, which was conducted over decades, found no association between exposure to SHS and ill-health. The ACS, when they realised that they weren't going to get the answers they wanted, de-funded the study before it could be published, so the tobacco companies provided the funds for publication. Naturally, Tobacco Control immediately said that because the study was tainted with tobacco company money, it was worthless, despite the fact that those tobacco companies only provided funding for its publication, and had no influence over the study itself.

http://www.bmj.com/content/326/7398/1057.short

The other major study (Boffetta et al), commissioned by the WHO, which also involved tens of thousands of subjects and was done over a period of years, came to similar conclusions. They found no statistically significant results between exposure to SHS and ill-health. Interestingly, the only aspect of their research which did find a statistically significant result was in children. They found that children who were brought up in smoking households had much better health outcomes (I believe in the region of 20%) than children not exposed to SHS.

Again, this wasn't the result that the WHO wanted, so they just buried the report without publishing it.

http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/90/19/1440.full.pdf

Christopher Booker summarises here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1556118/Christopher-Bookers-notebook.html

I tell you what to do if you think you are so smart go and ask the doctor who looks after people who get very sick from smoker then you will see how stupid it is to smoke it kills people

You need to look at what smoking cost the governments in the long run with what happens to long time smoking it is a dirty habit and if I had my way I would have here like back home smokers smoke in the car park not were people eat .

You need to look at how much money in tax the governments collect from smokers vs the actual cost.

Governments make a massive net profit on smokers, they always have.

Yes they do but like all government they not look at the cost in the long run when people get sick and die from smoker

Oh sorry, I thought it was about you being so selfish you can't stand to see other enjoying themselves.

Why don't you stay home?

Me been selfish I think not I don't make it hard for people when I seat down and eat and some stupid person who is smoking next me , that person is selfish one not me .

And yes I am very smart not like people who come to this country and put all they money here and can't go back home because they have no home to go to , I do have a home to go to back and after I have had my holiday I will go home and lucky back there I don't have to seat next to a smoker and next year all smoking is band in outside eating areas and that will be great no more selfish people smoking near me and my kids at all and if you want to go smoke in the car park not near me and kids .

My smokes went from 68 baht to 87 baht at 7/11. 31% increase. Missus went from 40 to 50 .. 20% increase.

She said was to encourage 'thai people' to stop smoking?

I gently told her that it is money grab by the government .. its tax and they don't give a toss about people's health.

You obviously don't give a toss about your own health either.

My smokes went from 68 baht to 87 baht at 7/11. 31% increase. Missus went from 40 to 50 .. 20% increase.

I gently told her that it is money grab by the government .. its tax and they don't give a toss about people's health.

How true are your words,I for one can't understand in to days world how stupid people still smoke is got me

Oh sorry, I thought it was about you being so selfish you can't stand to see other enjoying themselves.

Why don't you stay home?

Me been selfish I think not I don't make it hard for people when I seat down and eat and some stupid person who is smoking next me , that person is selfish one not me .

And yes I am very smart not like people who come to this country and put all they money here and can't go back home because they have no home to go to , I do have a home to go to back and after I have had my holiday I will go home and lucky back there I don't have to seat next to a smoker and next year all smoking is band in outside eating areas and that will be great no more selfish people smoking near me and my kids at all and if you want to go smoke in the car park not near me and kids .

If people light up in a restaurant where people are eating i think it's a very selfish act, and I would let them know about it.

And the wheezing and coughing when i go for a breakfast occasionally, put's me off my food. ( Why on earth do you pay to do this to yourself, that's the thing ill never understand ?).

How true are your words,I for one can't understand in to days world how stupid people still smoke is got me

Yep, I can understand years ago when big tobacco companies were allowed to lie about their product, and how cool and sexy it was, but this is the age of information, everybody knows it's anti social, it stinks, it's annoying to people around you, it's expensive, it is very bad for you and those around you and it certainly isn't sexy, but still they do it, the governments now warn people of the dangers, the disgusting pictures on the cigarette packs and warnings, and still they do it. The stupidity of man never ceases to amaze me.

I can see a stunning girl and as soon as she lights up a cigarette i"m totally put off, yes girls, it's that sexy!! giggle.gif

I think they should take schoolchildren to hospitals to see some people who are dying from the effects of cigarettes to deter the next generation of smokers, it won't deter all of course, because many people are stupid, but it might make them think twice.

Edited by Broken Record

Yep, I can understand years ago when big tobacco companies were allowed to lie about their product, and how cool and sexy it was, but this is the age of information, everybody knows it's anti social, it stinks, it's annoying to people around you, it's expensive, it is very bad for you and those around you and it certainly isn't sexy, but still they do it, the governments now warn people of the dangers, the disgusting pictures on the cigarette packs and warnings, and still they do it. The stupidity of man never ceases to amaze me.

I can see a stunning girl and as soon as she lights up a cigarette i"m totally put off, yes girls, it's that sexy!! giggle.gif

I think they should take schoolchildren to hospitals to see some people who are dying from the effects of cigarettes to deter the next generation of smokers, it won't deter all of course, because many people are stupid, but it might make them think twice.

Thanks you are so right.

It gets me here in thailand how western man that come here think it is ok to smoke in restaurants and have ago at me because I am a non smoker .

Thailand needs to get with the west stop selfish stupid people from smoker in restaurants and eating areas .

I understand why stupid people are still smoking, but I don't understand why smart people are still smoking.

Not sure but for me a non smoke I think it is a great idea can save lots of life's .

Good on the thai government if it is true should do it in the west as well .

Maybe Thailand isn't for you. Ever thought of going back to the nanny state you came from?

Not sure but for me a non smoke I think it is a great idea can save lots of life's .

Good on the thai government if it is true should do it in the west as well .

Maybe Thailand isn't for you. Ever thought of going back to the nanny state you came from?

Yes, having people drive around buying smokes from multiple locations is a really smart way to save countless "life's"

There's no restriction, it would hurt government earnings too much. As of tax rises every shop is normally forced to raise prices immediately, especially 7/11 and all the big stores selling with sales slips, they have to pay the higher taxes without delay. But most of the small shops take also advantage, always enjoying some extra profit (telling you that they have to obey the law and they fear controlls, but that's another story..).

Im pretty sure they (the stores) pay the tax when they purchase the cigarettes from the supplier. Paying tax when they are sold makes no sense. How would they possibly keep track of that?

The whole reason they were limiting the amount at the one store was because they could sell them at the new rate later even though they paid the old tax rate.

Why should it be difficult to keep track? Everything is registered, easy to controll. As I wanted to be sure of my answer it took some time as i went to discuss this with two owners of 7/11 franchises. Yes, normally they pay taxes when they purchase the cigarettes from the suppliers, but contrary to (most) western countries in case of tax increases they have to calculate the new prices immediately, including the ones they bought before the tax increase. They can't hide anything, that's also the reason you can't get alcoholics between 2 and 5pm (except they would sell and wait with the registration/receipt until 5pm). Surely not every item bought in all the shops nationwide will be controlled, but for them it's just too much of a risk.

There's no restriction, it would hurt government earnings too much. As of tax rises every shop is normally forced to raise prices immediately, especially 7/11 and all the big stores selling with sales slips, they have to pay the higher taxes without delay. But most of the small shops take also advantage, always enjoying some extra profit (telling you that they have to obey the law and they fear controlls, but that's another story..).

Im pretty sure they (the stores) pay the tax when they purchase the cigarettes from the supplier. Paying tax when they are sold makes no sense. How would they possibly keep track of that?

The whole reason they were limiting the amount at the one store was because they could sell them at the new rate later even though they paid the old tax rate.

Why should it be difficult to keep track? Everything is registered, easy to controll. As I wanted to be sure of my answer it took some time as i went to discuss this with two owners of 7/11 franchises. Yes, normally they pay taxes when they purchase the cigarettes from the suppliers, but contrary to (most) western countries in case of tax increases they have to calculate the new prices immediately, including the ones they bought before the tax increase. They can't hide anything, that's also the reason you can't get alcoholics between 2 and 5pm (except they would sell and wait with the registration/receipt until 5pm). Surely not every item bought in all the shops nationwide will be controlled, but for them it's just too much of a risk.
You have contradicted yourself within your own post. So you really think they hold back cigarettes at the old tax rate so they can sell them at the new rate and also pay the tax differential as well?

You think the governments of western and Thailand control the selling price of cigarettes?

I ALWAYS find that the ex-smokers are the biggest whingers, not the never have smoked crew. Once a smoker always a smoker I say, they whinge and whine because they still crave. I believe in quality not quantity. If have tried to give up many times and I can tell you that live is miserable craving all the time and its miserable for everyone around me....if they stick around!!

You say that because you are weak and cannot quit. There are plenty of people who have given up the disgusting habit and don't "crave".

I ALWAYS find that the ex-smokers are the biggest whingers, not the never have smoked crew. Once a smoker always a smoker I say, they whinge and whine because they still crave. I believe in quality not quantity. If have tried to give up many times and I can tell you that live is miserable craving all the time and its miserable for everyone around me....if they stick around!!

You say that because you are weak and cannot quit. There are plenty of people who have given up the disgusting habit and don't "crave".

I don't know, it might depend on how heavy you smoked. I've been off them 25 years and I still feel like one every now and then.

Weak eh? Thanks inbangkok, you have just done a great job of proving me correct.

There are plenty of rock stars that quit heroin and said stopping smoking was harder.

I don't know, it might depend on how heavy you smoked. I've been off them 25 years and I still feel like one every now and then.

I agree.... Never said it was easy. But plenty of people do quit.

Weak eh? Thanks inbangkok, you have just done a great job of proving me correct.

Nothing has been proved. You made a very stupid statement claiming "once a smoker, always a smoker" and claim that they "whine" because they "crave". It's simply not true. It would be like me trying to "prove" they sky is not purple. I don't need to prove it...... Just look and see! Plenty of people quit smoking and never look back. It is an absurdly stupid habit to partake in....... Smells like shit, causes cancer, unhealthy for the people around you......

You speak as if you are so proud of engaging in something so primitive at this point..... It's 2016! You actually think I dislike smoking so much because I am secretly "craving" it? Lol..... Are you smoking anything else besides tobacco?

Edited by inbangkok

There are plenty of rock stars that quit heroin and said stopping smoking was harder.

Never said it was easy......

Nothing has been proved. You made a very stupid statement claiming "once a smoker, always a smoker" and claim that they "whine" because they "crave". It's simply not true. It would be like me trying to "prove" they sky is not purple. I don't need to prove it...... Just look and see! Plenty of people quit smoking and never look back. It is an absurdly stupid habit to partake in....... Smells like shit, causes cancer, unhealthy for the people around you......

You speak as if you are so proud of engaging in something so primitive at this point..... It's 2016! You actually think I dislike smoking so much because I am secretly "craving" it? Lol..... Are you smoking anything else besides tobacco?

You said I was weak...that sounds to me like an ex smokers comment. A never has smoked wouldnt really know how hard it is to quit so probably couldnt or wouldnt comment. I said I "always find" meaning in my experience, and thats true. In my experience I havnt come across never have's that complain about it greatly. In my experience I have found ex smokers very vociferous when you light up around them. As I stated earlier I have tried to give up on many occasions, twice for a year apiece but still went back. During those periods I was the "whiner" because the first thing I noticed was the foul stench......couldnt stand it So much so that I couldnt understand how I could ever have smoked and later why I ended up back on the things. And no I am certainly not proud of it. I do still enjoy it most of the time believe it or not, I do worry about my health, and I feel ostrasized from society as a smoker.

I didnt attack anybody in my initial post, I merely stated my experiences. You attacked me by saying I was weak....how would you know? I think every smokers addiction is different, I believe there are many different psychological reasons why some people smoke. Some say there exists an addictive gene in some of us. I have family that are addictied to different things, things that dont even get to first base with me. I dont understand how they can because those things dont do anything for me. Thats my experience. I dont understand gamblers because they always lose. I dont tell them they are weak, I feel sorry for them. I have a daughter who has a meth habit. Been on and off it for years, in and out of rehab. The most beautiful and intelligent person you could ever meet. I have never said she is weak because she certainly isnt. There is something missing obviously........who knows?

I dont smoke anything else, no. Not now. I used to smoke a lot of the whacky backy but gave it up a long time ago.........and quite easily.

You said I was weak...that sounds to me like an ex smokers comment. A never has smoked wouldnt really know how hard it is to quit so probably couldnt or wouldnt comment. I said I "always find" meaning in my experience, and thats true. In my experience I havnt come across never have's that complain about it greatly. In my experience I have found ex smokers very vociferous when you light up around them. As I stated earlier I have tried to give up on many occasions, twice for a year apiece but still went back. During those periods I was the "whiner" because the first thing I noticed was the foul stench......couldnt stand it So much so that I couldnt understand how I could ever have smoked and later why I ended up back on the things. And no I am certainly not proud of it. I do still enjoy it most of the time believe it or not, I do worry about my health, and I feel ostrasized from society as a smoker.

I didnt attack anybody in my initial post, I merely stated my experiences. You attacked me by saying I was weak....how would you know? I think every smokers addiction is different, I believe there are many different psychological reasons why some people smoke. Some say there exists an addictive gene in some of us. I have family that are addictied to different things, things that dont even get to first base with me. I dont understand how they can because those things dont do anything for me. Thats my experience. I dont understand gamblers because they always lose. I dont tell them they are weak, I feel sorry for them. I have a daughter who has a meth habit. Been on and off it for years, in and out of rehab. The most beautiful and intelligent person you could ever meet. I have never said she is weak because she certainly isnt. There is something missing obviously........who knows?

I dont smoke anything else, no. Not now. I used to smoke a lot of the whacky backy but gave it up a long time ago.........and quite easily.

Did not mean to imply that you and only you are weak (but looking back it obviously came off that way). But the reality is that someone who cannot give up smoking is weak. No different than someone who cannot give up any of the things you mentioned (gambling, drinking, meth, etc.) is weak as well. I am by no means perfect and have my own weaknesses. But the reality is that we all have choices to make. If someone does not care about their health and wants to continue smoking, obviously not much I can say. However, other people smoking affects me as well. I take my health very seriously and am at the gym for 2 hours almost every day. I am sick of getting stuck behind some selfish ass-hat smoking a cigarette while walking home on a crowded sidewalk, eating my lunch, or standing in line somewhere. Cigarette smokers are absolutely notorious for having no consideration for anyone around them. I have no clue if you are like this, but most smokers indeed are.....

As for you feeling ostracized for being a smoker.... Well.... I just explained why above. Because generally smokers have no regard for those around them. Countries should follow Japan and force smokers to stand in glass boxes on the street corners so they can all make a little community out of their cancer causing habits and the rest of us don't have to be subjected to it. I guarantee that is smokers showed more respect and consideration for non smokers...... They would not be made to feel ostracized.

Edited by inbangkok