Buying a (specific) computer in CM?

condo bought

I will need to buy a stand alone PC in CM.

It won't be for me.

It will need the following:

Wifi enabled.

Play FHD (1080p) media files.

That's pretty much it.

It is for use in a condo, and will be used as a media player connected to the FHD TV and Sound system. It will have about 1TB of media files (movies, music videos, documentaries etc.) on it.

Getting one made would be good.

Where are good places? Or even where are places? I'm based in BKK and will want to get it on the first day I get back there.

Thanks.

"Goodspeed Computers" in the 'Computer Plaza' facing the moat on the north-west side.

They've made and serviced all my computers for me for 15 years, and always given me just what I've wanted.

No complaints what so ever with their parts, their work, or their customer service.

I bought a brand new HP computer about 3 years ago. It was 12 months later when I had a warning from Micrsoft telling me that the OS was illegal. Seems most computers here are supplied with a copied OS and not an original.

As a matter of interest, I subscribe to ThaiexpatTV. (550baht per month) and get about 15 UK channels via my wifi.

Just buy a Media Player. 3000-4000 Baht (without HDD).

I have an Asus O!Play and it has been working fine for 3-4 years.

Correct, the OP is describing a type of TV; not a desktop PC....most PC will play HD, viewiing it in HD requires a decent monitor and video card, but a TV with a USB port would be more simple.

I just got an Intel NUC last week for that exact purpose. You can install pretty much any operating system on it including Windows7/8/10, Linux, XBMC (dedicated media center). WiFi, Bluetooth, Infrared, 4 USB3 ports, VGA & HDMI port, 7.1 Audio on the HDMI, optical audio port, etc. and can play 4K video I did order it from Invadeit.com but locally J.I.B. may have them. They come in several flavors, specifically what CPU you want to use.

I had a spare SSD drive to put inside and have a 1TB USB3 box with my videos attached to it.

Intel NUC

post-566-0-99073500-1455297368_thumb.jpg

I just got an Intel NUC last week for that exact purpose. You can install pretty much any operating system on it including Windows7/8/10, Linux, XBMC (dedicated media center). WiFi, Bluetooth, Infrared, 4 USB3 ports, VGA & HDMI port, 7.1 Audio on the HDMI, optical audio port, etc. and can play 4K video I did order it from Invadeit.com but locally J.I.B. may have them. They come in several flavors, specifically what CPU you want to use.

I had a spare SSD drive to put inside and have a 1TB USB3 box with my videos attached to it.

Intel NUC

attachicon.gifIntel NUC.JPG

Goodspeeds is selling these now. I'd never seen them before, and had to ask what they were!

I bought a brand new HP computer about 3 years ago. It was 12 months later when I had a warning from Micrsoft telling me that the OS was illegal. Seems most computers here are supplied with a copied OS and not an original.

As a matter of interest, I subscribe to ThaiexpatTV. (550baht per month) and get about 15 UK channels via my wifi.

You get what you pay for (or don't pay for) - if you want a legit version of the OS - they need to supply you with the original OEM license or full license from Microsoft. Without it, you have a pirate copy. I've bought 4 laptops and 1 desktop in the last 5 years in S E Asia (1 in Vietnam, 3 in Cambodia and 1 in Thailand) and never had any issues getting a legit copy of Windows. However, the average cost of that has been about $150 per license and in Cambodia it took nearly an hour to make them believe I was willing to pay for the OS the first time I bought from them.

I checked out the price of my new HP PC, and it compared favourably with the same model in Australia, which I could have purchased a month later.

In fact the local one was $150 more expensive, as it was minus the OS, which had to be purchased separately.

Intel NUC

attachicon.gifIntel NUC.JPG

We have one of these - actually our second installation. I really like them and have one I use as a portable PC rather than a laptop. - between work and home (with monitor, keyboard etc at each end - I am a cheap Charlie. Essentially they are just a mini PC. Fortunately my wife is a tech guru - I don't think I am too bad but struggled with this. Had problems with incompatible memory compounded by a faulty memory problem. The wife works on satellite systems and has every qualification under the sun as well as twenty years experience. So as soon as she diagnosed the problem it was fixed. We run connected to server for heavy storage. What software you drive your viewing experience with can be tricky to optimise. We run ours as a Windows machine. But the Op seems to be short on tech savvy so I am not sure I would recommend it. Simple is best. As posted there seem to simpler solutions than a NUC.

I checked out the price of my new HP PC, and it compared favourably with the same model in Australia, which I could have purchased a month later.

In fact the local one was $150 more expensive, as it was minus the OS, which had to be purchased separately.

Every time I've bought a PC in Thailand the vendor asked whether I wanted genuine or pirated software. I was even asked that ten years ago when buying direct from HP. I doubt they do that now, but every vendor in Chiang Mai has offered both options. Computers are more expensive here. There is significant tax.

HP products are very expensive here. Lenovo and ASUS seem to offer products in the same ballpark as the US. You can save money building a clone, but you will lose your savings paying full price for Win. Unfortunately, the pirating, that MS knows full well is going on, is really suppressing the emergence of the Chrome OS here, which is really a superior OS. I've spent more time in one evening bringing a Win 7 machine up to speed, than three years of combined maintenance on my Chromebook.

those are running about 4200 thb in the US........add your own memory, but holds 8 GB.

I have 32Gb in mine.
the Quad Core one holds 8 GB http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-kit-nuc5pgyh.html....
My i5 has 32Gb. Can do 64 with double decker chips.

I had a look and we're both wrong.

I have 16Gb which can be expanded to 32Gb with the double decker chips.

It will need the following:

Wifi enabled.

Play FHD (1080p) media files.

That's pretty much it.

It is for use in a condo, and will be used as a media player connected to the FHD TV and Sound system. It will have about 1TB of media files (movies, music videos, documentaries etc.) on it.

If thats really it you dont need a PC.. A 99 USD android box will do this and much more, be fast boot, have a nice remote, and draw less power.

I used to moderate the nets largest HTPC forum back end of 90s and early 2000s.. Even being a huge media PC / home AV / smart home and home theater person from way back no way I would go back to using a standard PC for this.