Taxi in Bangkok

POMCHOB

I Took a Taxi at Just before 5pm

The driving was fine until a few Kms in ,nearly went into the back of another car he then started to head up the expressway, away from Bangkok.

That's when i looked in his rear view mirror and noticed how his eye lids were drooping and rolling he then started dozing off and weaving all over the place in heavy

fast traffic which was extremely scary. I shouted "OK" to basically wake him up ,big mistake was sitting in the back seat, i couldn't at that point on the expressway get out or get him to stop just started talking with him and i could see he was annoyed at me(it's difficult to critisice or complain to a Taxi driver in Thailand as it can lead to all sorts of unwanted scenarios as my Thai wife has already explained these dangers too me).

He started moaning about the heavy traffic we luckily encountered " why don't you want me take you to your destination now". He was also annoyed i wanted to leave at the next exit of the expressway

halfway through my so called journey,I was brave enough to mention maybe he should stop and get some sleep he was even more annoyed

but i got him to exit the expressway then he suddenly had his heavy boot on the accelorater and sped up dramatically to 100kms hr heading straight for stopped traffic ahead that's when i grabbed the chance to get out as we were now on a normal road shouted STOP! Which woke him up again. This is the second time in two months this has happened so i have had to be on my toes and keep an eye on the Taxi drivers reactions and sit next too them. i must admit taken many Taxis in Bangkok with no problems, very polite and friendly and good drivers too.

So i suppose i am going to encounter a few bad ones

from time to time or incredibly bad in my case.

it seems ok at midday or morning but it does seem to happen to me with Taxis on the evening and late afternoons.

POMCHOB.

​Another valuable warning about BKK taxis: Thanks for posting, POMCHOB.

As much as possible, I use All Thai Taxi and GrabTaxi smart phone apps. All Thai has been 100% excellent drivers. Grab: 98%. Compared to about 70% for generic taxis in BKK.

Since 2 weeks we always have a taxi waiting infront of our moobaan, guess he is tired of finding customers.

But last week we needed a taxi, walked to the road and he started horning allready and drove towards us. Then we noticed a ATT taxi approaching as well so we flagged him. The normal taxi kept horning to us so i pointed at the ATT and showed my thumb up! thumbsup.gif Then we took it and left.

ATT is great, sure the normal taxi's will hate this competitor but hey that's life.gigglem.gif

​Another valuable warning about BKK taxis: Thanks for posting, POMCHOB.

As much as possible, I use All Thai Taxi and GrabTaxi smart phone apps. All Thai has been 100% excellent drivers. Grab: 98%. Compared to about 70% for generic taxis in BKK.

but AllThaiTaxi is 100% in Thai language only, right ?

The smart phone app is in English, too.

For those not familiar with these taxi call apps, some have a service charge, some don't.

And that changes over time.

As of this month:

All Thai Taxi: 20 baht fee in addition to the meter, if you use the smart phone app.

Grab Taxi: no fee to use the smart phone app.

Grab Car: no extra fee, just pay the fixed price fare quoted in the app.

Uber: no extra fee, because using the app is essential to the service.

Edited by PT4

The smart phone app is in English, too.

For those not familiar with these taxi call apps, some have a service charge, some don't.

And that changes over time.

As of this month:

All Thai Taxi: 20 baht fee in addition to the meter, if you use the smart phone app.

Grab Taxi: no fee to use the smart phone app.

Grab Car: no extra fee, just pay the fixed price fare quoted in the app.

Uber: no extra fee, because using the app is essential to the service.

I thought the first ride was free of service charge with Grab Taxi? But the rest are too? I must admit ive only used it once and he said no service charge.

How do they make their money? Does the drive have to pay Grab Taxi at end of month?

"casualobserver" wrote:

"I thought the first ride was free of service charge with Grab Taxi? But the rest are too? I must admit ive only used it once and he said no service charge. How do they make their money? Does the drive have to pay Grab Taxi at end of month?

That's a very good question. Yes, the driver pays.

I've been using GrabTaxi several times a week for about two years. In the beginning, there was a surcharge of 20 baht, paid by the passenger, but in recent months, no surcharge. So I asked. One driver explained they pay to GrabTaxi 7 baht per "call" when the passenger uses the smart phone app.

Edited by PT4

Late last night I took a taxi from saphan kwai to Udom suk. Usually 130 baht highway excluded. Now it was 270 baht on the meter and I had to pay an additional 15 baht for another highway. Some of them are scum! I left the taxi saying he was bs me and I won't pay the fee. He replied saying I know I know I'm sorry. I gave him "only" 150 in the end but I should have payed nothing in hindsight.

Late last night I took a taxi from saphan kwai to Udom suk. Usually 130 baht highway excluded. Now it was 270 baht on the meter and I had to pay an additional 15 baht for another highway. Some of them are scum! I left the taxi saying he was bs me and I won't pay the fee. He replied saying I know I know I'm sorry. I gave him "only" 150 in the end but I should have payed nothing in hindsight.

You should have reported him, make a pic of the id at the dashboard and call the number for complaints.

"casualobserver" wrote:

"I thought the first ride was free of service charge with Grab Taxi? But the rest are too? I must admit ive only used it once and he said no service charge. How do they make their money? Does the drive have to pay Grab Taxi at end of month?

That's a very good question. Yes, the driver pays.

Well, maybe not. Yesterday I asked another GrabTaxi driver, "Who pays?". He said he doesn't pay anything to GrabTaxi. When I asked how GrabTaxi could stay in business and pay their electricity bills, the driver laughed and said, "I don't know."

Its a land of many, small mysteries.

Edited by PT4

I've been mainly lucky with taxis in Bangkok, only one in 12 years tried to divert me to a gem store enroute to my destination (he wanted the petrol voucher they paid taxi drivers to bring passengers) I just got out of his taxi without paying (he refused to drive any further until I went inside the gem shop) and got into another taxi. Now I use one driver, I have his mobile number. He has my mobile number, name and address in his phone as a reminder when I phone him. He's never let me down, my wife feels save travelling with him as he drives safely. Last time he took me to swampy, he told me just to pay him what I thought the trip was worth.