German man found dead in a bedroom in Rawai

rooster59

Amazing - if the German had decided to drink himself to death at home in Germany, cosuming cheap rot-gut schnapps, there would be no coverage in print or on-line. If perchance, it was mentioned, the comments would all be about the "stupid idiot".

In Thailand, it is big expat news, and the comments are all about the murdering. poisoning and thieving Thais. The German ? -- who nobody knew -- well he was a fine upstanding man, who was misled, deceived, swindled, poisoned, robbed and poisoned by the evil Thais, who are now being protected by the police.

This stuff is hilariously funny -- it should be on television.

Interesting post.

I think it's tragic, not "hilariously funny."

I didn't know the guy, so I can't speak for his character, but what I do know is, rightly or wrongly, many western men start relationships with Thai women and end up losing their life savings.

Then, due to shame, embarrassment, financial difficulty, depression, lack of support services etc, decide to suicide. Hanging and balcony dives are chosen by many, but pills and alcohol are not uncommon. In this case, it's possible there was only alcohol involved.

Just on the point of suicide by pills and alcohol, balcony dives and hanging, it's not that difficult to stage these as a suicide.

So, whilst a "murdering, poisoning and thieving Thai" may not have forced this man to drink lao kao, is it not possible a Thai women may have been the catalyst that set a chain of events in motion that lead to this man taking his life, and if not this man, what about the countless other suicides by western men, all across Thailand?

I agree the death is tragic, whatever the background or cause --- it is the TV comments that are "hilariously funny "

Unfortunately, you have reinforced my comments. I agree that "a Thai women may have been the catalyst that set a chain of events in motion that lead (sic) to this man taking his life". However, there seems to be no consideration that this event might have been precipitated by events in Germany - family death, financial disaster, abandonment by German wife/mistress, accusations of crime , etc, or that he may have had a terminal illness or that he may have simply had too much to drink and died of alcohol poisoning.

I agree that a Thai motivation is possible, if indeed it was a suicide, but any other motivation is equally possible. Again, I say that the TV fixation on the 'evils' of the Thai people is hilarious --- but then perhaps that is also tragic !

So, all these western men committing suicide in Thailand do so because of problems arising back in their home country - I don't think so.

Sure, some will suicide for the reasons you mention, no argument from me about that, but I think you will find the majority have been fleeced by a Thai women.

Now, are they "stupid idiots" for losing their life savings in such a manner - yes.

Should they kill themselves over it - no.

However, depression overtakes reason, and many suicide.

All the while, a Thai family is settling into their new house, that sits on a new farm, and learning to drive a new car to their new shop in town, whilst their daughter in Phuket says to them, "I have a new boyfriend now,"

Do these girls fire the gun - no. They just load the bullets.

Who even said this guy committed suicide? The story makes no mention of a suicide note or empty pill bottles. Just that he was found dead stinking of booze and close to vomit, and that the house was cluttered with empty whiskey bottles. All the indications of a man who has become addicted to alcohol with a fairly predictable end result.

2.5 million people die from alcohol related deaths every year. Whilst I appreciate that for the TV Miss Marples and Thai basher trolls who would have you believe that all Thai's are only interested in is fleecing foreigners, it is much more satisfying to come up with theories of suicide or foul play every time a foreigner dies; the more mundane fact is that people get old and die. If they drink excessively over a long period of time they die sooner rather than later.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@ tigermonkey and LIK

I am not suggesting this guy was murdered by a Thai women. I'm sure this was not a forced overdose of lao kao.

I am simply suggesting the possibility that he may have been fleeced by a Thai women, which bought on depression, which may have caused him to commit suicide by alcohol poisoning.

Nothing more - nothing less.

What if he hung himself - no lao kao involved? How many would think the cause was relationship breakdown?

Sure, in this case, with limited information to hand, there is much speculation, however, the GENERAL theme to many of the suicides by western men across Thailand is a Thai women has left them, and left them broke.

We do not read about the ones that had to go back home and back to work, or to live on Government benefits, but we do hear about the ones that commit suicide, and there are many.

A lot of Thai women leave a lot of collateral damage in their wake. Surely this is undeniable.

Personally, I find it hard to sympathize with these cases when there is so much information out there warning of the dangers, so, as I have said, it is tragic.

@ Shadychris

Maybe it was suicide, maybe it wasn't.

How do YOU know for certain?

How do YOU know he was "addicted to alcohol?" I recycle. I have empty wine bottles and beer bottles here from weeks ago. Does that mean I must have consumed all this alcohol in one sitting?

Yes, "people get old and die." This guy was in his 40's.

It doesn't hurt to keep and open mind.

Edited by NamKangMan

That stuff is lethal.

They make it themselves up in the North and its about 10 Baht for a small bottle .

Drink that regulary and you get a life expectancy of about three years .

I took one sip of it once and it was like paint thinner

A ever repeated myth and not true by any means.

What you see on the table is a commercial product sold in many shops.

Yes it tastes awful and it gave me a good heartburn when I tried it once.

But only the farang is stupid enough to drink it undiluted. blink.png

Some of my neighbours survived it much longer than 3 years.

They always dilute with water, "Thai wine" gigglem.gif

It's as lethal as a daily dose of hard liquor/spirit/wodka.

It's a 40 percent ("80 proof"?) hard liquor from rice, not more not less.

My wife's father has been drinking half a bottle every day for 30 years,he is 71 years old now and has liver cancer but looks fit and still works in the fields and still drinks.

Yes, some people nothing seems to kill them. George P!@#$ drinks himself in to oblivion everyday of the year ever since end WWII when he was a US Army mess sergeant in Germany. He maybe dead now, he should be because he would/ will be about 90 by now. His secret, he mixed his Jack Daniels and Smirnoff with water, plenty of it. Never did touch any of the local formaldehyde Mekong etc.

LOL in LOS

@ Shadychris

How do YOU know he was "addicted to alcohol?" I recycle. I have empty wine bottles and beer bottles here from weeks ago. Does that mean I must have consumed all this alcohol in one sitting?

It doesn't hurt to keep and open mind.

I don't - none of us do. But deliberately committing suicide by drinking a large amount of alcohol is not something you commonly hear of. Whilst large amounts of pop can do the trick, it is not as reliable as an overdose of medication, or any of the more sure fire ways to end your life. Only an autopsy will reveal whether he had taken an overdose of medication as well, but the signs we know about would indicate it's more likely death by alcohol poisoning, and\or cirrhosis of liver, and\or asphyxiation by choking on vomit.

How do YOU know he was "addicted to alcohol?

Again I don't, but large amounts of bottles strewn around the house would indicate large amounts of alcohol consumed on a fairly regular basis wouldn't you say?.

I recycle. I have empty wine bottles and beer bottles here from weeks ago. Does that mean I must have consumed all this alcohol in one sitting?

and

No it doesn't mean you consumed them all at one sitting, and neither does drinking a lot in one sitting mean you are an alcoholic. However if you didn't consume them in one sitting then it likely means you drink regularly and if you have bottles there from weeks ago it might also indicate you are not much good at housework ;-)

and

40's - prime time risk for a heart attack - especially if there is history of smoking and or alcohol abuse. But yes I will keep an open mind, all I'm saying is that every indication we know about does not suggest suicide - although you could of course argue that perhaps this guy started committing suicide a long time ago when he lost control of his drinking....

Edited by Shadychris

He died doing what he loved

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

No it says she was not there!

Neither was his life savings.

If your drinking lao khao,the end is near,it is not the choice of drink of middle class and rich.I have nagged a few mates in my village to get off it and they have.

That stuff is lethal.

They make it themselves up in the North and its about 10 Baht for a small bottle .

Drink that regulary and you get a life expectancy of about three years .

I took one sip of it once and it was like paint thinner

And yet mild relaxants such as Kratom are criminalised whilst this poison is allowed to proliferate killing many Thais, let alone this German, each year. Every hospital keeps an antidote on hand for the admittance of anyone suspected of having drunk this toxic shit. Disgusting.

I have to say I feel more sorry for the Thais who know no better.

I talked to some Issanians who refer to the stuff as yah-this and that. Some of them actually believe it cures certain ailments.

Ive even seen women drink the stuff straight up in the morning, thinking it somehow helps the monthly horrors.

I suppose you can feel sorry for them that others tell them this shlt and they actually believe it

Same as a Norwegian i know,smokes as a diet aid,as he coughs his lungs up.Delusional.

R.I.P. So sad to hear of another pointless loss of life. Here in Saudi we had a similar occurrence last week. 45 year old found on the sofa in the morning, empty bottle of Siddiq on the table. Just a waste....sad.pngsad.png

nothing wrong with good Sid. Lots wrong with bad Sid. Drank it for the 15 years i was there. i didn't drink it straight, mine was always aged in Jack Danials woodchips for 2 weeks and i drank it mixed with Ginger Ale usually or coke if my first choice wasn't available. I know guys who drank it straight. They were crazy. I think this thai brew sounds the same.

RIP and condolences to his family