Dependent visa

I am currently settled in Thailand with my retired wife.I am a EU citizen and will be traveling for few weeks.My question is ,Will I have any problem with immigration when returning back to Thailand? Since I am on dependent visa and I am traveling alone.I am not yet 50 years old to get retirement visa.

• Like 1

I assume you have a extension of stay as a spouse and not a dependant visa.

You will have no problem traveling alone but you will need to buy a re-entry permit in order to keep your extension of stay alive. It costs 1,000 baht and you can buy it from you local immigration office, or at the major airports on the day you leave. When you return the IO will use the permit and stamp you back in for the remaining term of your extension of stay.

If you don't get a re-entry permit your extension of stay will be cancelled on exit.

• Like 1

You will have no problem traveling alone but you will need to buy a re-entry permit in order to keep your extension of stay alive. It costs 1,000 baht and you can buy it from you local immigration office, or at the major airports on the day you leave. When you return the IO will use the permit and stamp you back in for the remaining term of your extension of stay.

If you don't get a re-entry permit your extension of stay will be cancelled on exit.

Stamp say's extension of stay permitted up to ....... .I guess your correct and its not dependent visa.

Thank you for the quick reply

• Like 1

Stamp say's extension of stay permitted up to ....... .I guess your correct and its not dependent visa.

Thank you for the quick reply

You're welcome. The re-entry permit will match the 'extension of stay permitted up to' date.

Thai visas just give entry in to the country. On entry you were granted a (90 day) permit to stay which you have since extended.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am a US citizen and my wife is a Philippine citizen. We both flew into Thailand and are here on 30 day visa waiver stamps. I have a job offer and will have my contract and documentation from the university tomorrow. I will go to immigration to apply for my Non-Immigrant B visa and am wondering if my wife can apply for an accompanying family member visa at the same time (I will not have my work permit yet). Our stamp allows us to stay until March 20th, so we are running low on time to find out what we need to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hello,

I am a US citizen and my wife is a Philippine citizen. We both flew into Thailand and are here on 30 day visa waiver stamps. I have a job offer and will have my contract and documentation from the university tomorrow. I will go to immigration to apply for my Non-Immigrant B visa and am wondering if my wife can apply for an accompanying family member visa at the same time (I will not have my work permit yet). Our stamp allows us to stay until March 20th, so we are running low on time to find out what we need to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You wont get a Non Immigrant B Visa at Immigration.

You need a 12 month extension of stay from Immigration. Others will give more advise on what is needed.

You Wife can then apply for the same extension as your dependant.

She will need a Non Imm O visa to start with.

She needs to get that from a Thai Consulate.

Edited by Eclipse
  • Like 1

Hello,

You can try but I doubt your wife will be issued with a non "O" visa based on dependency until you have an extension of stay which can be applied for for (with supporting paperwork from the university) during the last 30 days of the 90 day stay the "B" visa will provide.

• Like 1

Thanks for the information Eclipse and sunnyjim5. If I'm clear on the details, it sounds like safest bet to get both of our visas would be to plan on a trip to a Thai consulate and apply for my B visa and her dependent visa there (assuming we can apply for her dependent visa without the work permit being processed)?

Thanks for the information Eclipse and sunnyjim5. If I'm clear on the details, it sounds like safest bet to get both of our visas would be to plan on a trip to a Thai consulate and apply for my B visa and her dependent visa there (assuming we can apply for her dependent visa without the work permit being processed)?

It is not the WP that is the issue it is whether or not you have an "extension of stay based on working" !

• Like 1

Nope.

You need a 12 Month Extension from Immigration. You might have to start with a Non Imm B Visa from a Thai Consulate.

She needs a 12 month extension from Immigration once you have your extension.

She would probably have to start with a Non Imm O Visa from a Consulate.

• Like 1

Thanks again guys. So if I follow this process, should this (hypothetically) work?:

1. I pickup the contract and supporting documentation from the university tomorrow

2. We take the documents and apply for our respective B and O visas at a nearby consulate

3. We return to Thailand with the B and O visas and I apply for my 12 month extension of stay

4. Finally, after receiving my extension of stay, we apply for my wife's extension of stay

Thanks again guys. So if I follow this process, should this (hypothetically) work?:

1. I pickup the contract and supporting documentation from the university tomorrow

2. We take the documents and apply for our respective B and O visas at a nearby consulate

3. We return to Thailand with the B and O visas and I apply for my 12 month extension of stay

4. Finally, after receiving my extension of stay, we apply for my wife's extension of stay

You can try !

Do not be surprised if the "O" visa for your wife is refused owing to the absence of an "extension of stay" in your passport.

You cannot apply for an extension except during the last 30 days of the entry your "B" visa will provide.

• Like 1

You can try !

Do not be surprised if the "O" visa for your wife is refused owing to the absence of an "extension of stay" in your passport.

You cannot apply for an extension except during the last 30 days of the entry your "B" visa will provide.

I certainly appreciate the info. Sounds like there is little chance of getting around visa runs until the last 30 days of my "B" visa :/

You can try !

I certainly appreciate the info. Sounds like there is little chance of getting around visa runs until the last 30 days of my "B" visa :/

If your wife is refused an "O"visa she can easily obtain another tourist visa which (with an extension) will provide a 90 day stay.

Edited by sunnyjim5
  • Like 1

That makes sense. I guess the tourist visa + 30 day extension would get us into the right window of time (the last 30 days of my "B" visa) to apply for her "O". I keep trying to configure a way that would be more efficient/less expensive but it doesn't look like that's an option! I appreciate your help!