Why are there so many farang problem drinkers in Thailand?

sheepishkiwi

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cause the liquor's cheap.

Really? Look at the

Soi cowboy thread.

fully grown men

crying over piffling

150 or 200 baht

drink prices.

I would moan too, 200bht is about 4 quid, that is London pub prices, a place where overheads and the beer stock costs way more than here. It's a rip off.

Goto starlights Pat pong.

BJ and a beer 800 baht.

Approximately 30 aud.

Thats a little more that an hours work as an un qualified labourer in Australia.

The life of the professional foreign drinker in Thailand is much facilitated by the ease (while the money lasts) with which they can acquire a "minder" who will perform the duties that are usually undertaken by a co-dependant.

Codependency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's a factor that may influence the alcoholic to choose Pattaya (where I met a lot of drunks, looked after by ladies) rather than Benidorm, as the place to finish themselves off.

My assessment is, of course, entirely anecdotal. (I've never been to Benidorm)

you missed out, mate. benidorm is a great place to get smashed biggrin.png

There seems to be a drink culture in the tourist hotspots of Thailand, mostly by tourists believe it or not hahahahahah.

However there are many expats who cannot stop their drinking, and their lives are sleep drink, sleep drink, what a way to die.Not forgetting the 40 ciggies a day expat too, add all this and erectile dysfunction and loss of libido too.Most are not in a relationship either???

Cause the liquor's cheap.

Really? Look at the

Soi cowboy thread.

fully grown men

crying over piffling

150 or 200 baht

drink prices.

I would moan too, 200bht is about 4 quid, that is London pub prices, a place where overheads and the beer stock costs way more than here. It's a rip off.

Goto starlights Pat pong.

BJ and a beer 800 baht.

Approximately 30 aud.

Thats a little more that an hours work as an un qualified labourer in Australia.

Still a bit pricey for me, money is a bit tight at the moment, infact my wife has just started having sex with me again as she cannot afford the batteries for her vibrator.

as an American living in Hua Hin, I really cannot believe the amount of drinking the UK, EU and AU tourists and expats do every night.

I don't drink, but as I walk around my neighborhood, I see the same farangs everyday at 10:00AM sitting at a little table in the local mom and pop store drinking beer.

as an American living in Hua Hin, I really cannot believe the amount of drinking the UK, EU and AU tourists and expats do every night.

I don't drink, but as I walk around my neighborhood, I see the same farangs everyday at 10:00AM sitting at a little table in the local mom and pop store drinking beer.

Bad for the liver , good for the economy.

Try any tourist town on the planet and you see the same, a mixture of locals but mostly tourists on benders because it's holiday time lol. A big chunk are oil workers and miners who may not drink for months on the job

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

I fink folk should mind their own business.........coffee1.gif

Funny how that "mind your own business" line comes up whenever the usual suspects are uncomfortable with the topic.

Excessive drinking, large age-gap relationships and monthly stipends . . . same, same

That maybe the case for yourself, but l come from a beer swilling country, a country where not that long ago near every street had a pub. It was the norm to go have a few beers after work. For sure the days before the big in-house media stuff but it was part of normal life.

Today, go to any town centre in the UK where there is a disco bar or club and see what happens at chuckout time, and why there is a van load of cops nearby to send trouble on there way.

So, why should anyone, whether a tourist or expat, change habits of a lifetime, l certainly won't..

You don't half talk BS

It's like you think you're the only person on the forum who grew up in Britain so you can make up any old crap you like and people will believe it

I guess in your recollection, there were no fights and kick-offs after closing time at public houses back in the day, were there?

I guess the whole drink/violence thing is a recent phenomenon - forget alcohol-fueled British soccer hooliganism of the 70s/80s - it never happened, mate

Pull the other one

No one's saying that having a few drinks is a problem - the topic is about expats who drink to EXCESS here so, rather than trying to censor it because it makes you feel uncomfortable or because YOU think it's taboo, if you don't like the discussion, butt out and read another thread.

Who said they became drunks overnight? Not me!

The thread doesn't suggest Thailand is turning regular drinkers into drunks (even though the availability of booze and the prevalence of street-drinking could explain how many develop problems)

The thread's just asking why there are so many expat pi55heads here. No one's trying to get in anyone's "business"

"Rough numbers of 70%+ of expats Ive met in Bangkok,Pattaya,Hua Hin, Phuket have a drinking problem"

And all the expats I know in CM spend their time running, hiking and cycling.

Maybe you need to change your circle of friends, and hang out somewhere else.

Same as you and me have different opinion about Thai girls.. it all depends who you are and with who you hang out. (if your the gym type your friend circle will obviously be gym guys too)

I can only imagine the OP is hanging out a lot in bars.

Like you I don't know any problem drinking farangs, but I don't visit bars that much.

Funny how that "mind your own business" line comes up whenever the usual suspects are uncomfortable with the topic.

Excessive drinking, large age-gap relationships and monthly stipends . . . same, same

That maybe the case for yourself, but l come from a beer swilling country, a country where not that long ago near every street had a pub. It was the norm to go have a few beers after work. For sure the days before the big in-house media stuff but it was part of normal life.

Today, go to any town centre in the UK where there is a disco bar or club and see what happens at chuckout time, and why there is a van load of cops nearby to send trouble on there way.

So, why should anyone, whether a tourist or expat, change habits of a lifetime, l certainly won't..

You don't half talk BS

It's like you think you're the only person on the forum who grew up in Britain so you can make up any old crap you like and people will believe it

I guess in your recollection, there were no fights and kick-offs after closing time at public houses back in the day, were there?

I guess the whole drink/violence thing is a recent phenomenon - forget alcohol-fueled British soccer hooliganism of the 70s/80s - it never happened, mate

Pull the other one

No one's saying that having a few drinks is a problem - the topic is about expats who drink to EXCESS here so, rather than trying to censor it because it makes you feel uncomfortable or because YOU think it's taboo, if you don't like the discussion, butt out and read another thread.

In fact, the number of people who regularly drink heavily has been dropping steadily in the UK for years now.

Some people come here to 'live the dream' - and for many of them, that dream seems to be to swill down cheap beer from mid-morning onwards, which isn't something you see many do in the UK.

Who said they became drunks overnight? Not me!

The thread doesn't suggest Thailand is turning regular drinkers into drunks (even though the availability of booze and the prevalence of street-drinking could explain how many develop problems)

The thread's just asking why there are so many expat pi55heads here. No one's trying to get in anyone's "business"

And you don't understand that YOUR LOS piss heads are probably the same where they come from and in any country they are visiting..........NOBODY changes over night.....Gawd...........rolleyes.gif

"Gawd" yourself, mate

You're obviously half cut already at midday because any five year old would be able to understand the point being made

Maybe someone else has the patience to spell it out for you

"Rough numbers of 70%+ of expats Ive met in Bangkok,Pattaya,Hua Hin, Phuket have a drinking problem"

And all the expats I know in CM spend their time running, hiking and cycling.

Maybe you need to change your circle of friends, and hang out somewhere else.

Same as you and me have different opinion about Thai girls.. it all depends who you are and with who you hang out. (if your the gym type your friend circle will obviously be gym guys too)

I can only imagine the OP is hanging out a lot in bars.

Like you I don't know any problem drinking farangs, but I don't visit bars that much.

I probably drink more than anyone else I know here, and I'm not a massive drinker. But I'm not part of the 'bar scene'.

I don't drink or smoke so not having a taste for Grey Goose or frequenting clubs like the Eh-Too-Fay on the 40th floor goes a long way to cover the monthly stipend for that big age-gap.

You don't half talk BS

Pull the other one

In fact, the number of people who regularly drink heavily has been dropping steadily in the UK for years now.

Some people come here to 'live the dream' - and for many of them, that dream seems to be to swill down cheap beer from mid-morning onwards, which isn't something you see many do in the UK.

I think back in the UK or other cold weather areas the same people are swilling it down but with a different life pattern.....They're less visable stopping by the liquor store before going home and drinking......Or less time at the pub beating the dark/cold/weather home......They have years and people patterns in place....Possibly starting with a beer o'clock breakfast and drinking staying in.....

They get here and warm weather/women/ company are all out there waiting to be discovered - excitement.....Tales to be told....Conquests to be made....The pattern is still there only more friendly and visable.....And - they are seen....

The expat/tourist population is always in flux/cycling......People come and go but patterns remain....If friends come and go the bottle is always there......Not like back home.....It's a different kind of loneliness.....

Thread seems full, in response to ppgrahmm. You are quite right what you say, but the big difference as you say is that the swillies at home are drinking behind closed doors and not bothering anyone apart from the wife and kids (sometimes). Here most of the heavy drinkers are fine but there is always the ones that cannot handle their booze. You can watch them over a few hours, they begin to shout, the swearing is very offensive, then to cap it all they think they can fight after a skin full. I prefer to give these people and the establishments they frequent a wide berth.

Thread seems full, in response to ppgrahmm. You are quite right what you say, but the big difference as you say is that the swillies at home are drinking behind closed doors and not bothering anyone apart from the wife and kids (sometimes). Here most of the heavy drinkers are fine but there is always the ones that cannot handle their booze. You can watch them over a few hours, they begin to shout, the swearing is very offensive, then to cap it all they think they can fight after a skin full. I prefer to give these people and the establishments they frequent a wide berth.

Agree

There's a place near us here that has open mike once a month on a Sunday during the day - can be fun .....Starts early and so does the drinking.....1st time I watched as people got hammered and melted down in about 3 hours....Complete attitude changing from fun to loud to squabbles, etc.....

Went one more time to see if better - same people - same result.....

Shame - as I only get to spend my minutes once I spend them and my money elsewhere....

I find most bring their problems with them.

That and boredom I suppose.

I've made it a point to never drink before the sun is dropping in the sky...but of course all rules should be broken occasionally.

I totally agree. Thailand is attractive and cheaper than many other countries.

But for many people they just don't have a good game plan.

Edited by Andyfez

Sitting at a little table, minding their own business, annoying or harming nobody.

My best advice is to steer clear of any watering hole....filled with folks who think they are way more important than they actually are....the piss might have something to do with it.....?

But I don't eves drop on other tables.............smile.png

You don't have to eavesdrop transam, people in the next village will hear the tanked up ones.

The old "nature vs nurture" question. Were they drunks before they got here or just predisposed to be swillmeisters? If not much else going on in life would be easy to park self at some bar I would think. Perhaps booze prices similar to whatever paid "back home" but other daily costs probably much lower, which leads to more that can be spend on alcohol.... and chances close to nil for being arrested for "drunk and disorderly". I've lived in Jomtien for more than a decade and I'd say alky level more like 50% than 75%. Glass half empty or full.... cheers

....you have no proof of this except you yourself....???

...and your social circle...

...you do foreigners a disservice by perpetuating this myth....

..but truth be told....

...this is not paradise.....

...and once cleaned out of one's life savings....not much left to live for in some cases....

...lack of self-worth or self-esteem...hopelessness....never feeling welcome.....never feeling you fit in or ever will.....

...'Once she gets what she wants from you...you are on your own'.....

....visas...work...business....???.......good luck...we need it...

...even a place to live is a problem....

...double pricing at every turn...etc...etc....

...what is left...???

I guess it's because of lax licensing laws, cheaper alcohol, less social pressure not to, the extended holiday spirit and so on.

And maybe deeper issues to do with loneliness and alienation, often which comes hand in hand with not really fitting into the country they find themselves in- so the one place they feel at home is in a bar with likeminded expats.

That's not judgemental, by the way, I've spent more than my fair share of time seeing in the daylight with a drink here in the past.

Well, for some, it's drink yourself to death back home or do it here where it is warmer and relatively pretty women say you're handsome in exchange for cash. You can run away to Thailand but you can't run away from yourself. Most end up surrounded by fewer people who appreciate them, and more people who only want them for their money. This compounds existing underlying depression and leads to more drinking.