Mosquito traps : do they really work ?

JohnnyJazz

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to "BKKdreaming" this pic could be a good start for a mozzie "swimming pool". (Wouldn't allow to paste jpg picture of 5 gall plastic bucket with a short collar protruding from the top that can house a fan)

It was designed to sample eggs. If Co2 is allowed to come out via screened holes in the lid near the collar and there's a fan sucking down in in the collar, the mozzies be attracted and be sucked in and hopefully drowned. The holes would have to pass a reasonable % flow of the fan. A modified funnel hanging/mounted below the fan may reduce their way out if not already drowned when the fan is off.

A slow drip of weak vinegar via a tube into a pool of weak bi carb solution should produce the Co2 that oozes out the holes in the lid of this bucket to attract them near the fan entrance.

Any other Co2 generator could be fed into the bucket instead. Dry Ice in the bucket would go too quick? The ice bucket with a 6mm PVC tube sounds good if you can get dry ice. Without water in the Ice bucket would enough Co2 be slowly produced under low pressure and force its way into the 5 gll bucket.

Any thoughts on making a very slow release application of the Co2 soda siphon bulbs? There are quite bigger ones out there too.

Good note from Manarak about Dengue mozzie bites in daytime.

All the more need to develop this kind of project.??

Edited by Jing Joe

Thanks to "BKKdreaming" for URL to web site for this pic could be a good start for a mozzie "swimming pool".

(System wouldn't allow me to paste jpg picture of 5 gall black plastic bucket with a short collar protruding from the top that can house a fan)

It was designed to sample eggs. If Co2 is allowed to come out via screened holes in the lid near the collar and there's a fan sucking down in in the collar, the mozzies be attracted and be sucked in and hopefully decapitated clap2.gif or drowned rolleyes.gif . The holes would have to pass a reasonable % flow of the fan.

A modified funnel hanging/mounted below the fan may reduce their way out if not already drowned when the fan is off.

A slow drip of weak vinegar via a tube into a pool of weak bi-carb solution should produce the Co2 that oozes out the holes in the lid of this bucket to attract them near the fan entrance.

Any other Co2 generator could be fed into the bucket instead. Dry Ice in the bucket would go too quick? The ice bucket with a 6mm PVC tube sounds good if you can get dry ice. Without water in the Ice bucket would enough Co2 be slowly produced under low pressure and force its way into the 5 gll bucket?

Wouldn't matter if Co2 is heavier or lighter than air, it will be blown out anyway.

Any thoughts on making a very slow release application of the Co2 soda siphon bulbs? There are quite bigger ones out there too.

Good note from Manarak about Dengue mozzie bites in daytime.

All the more need to develop this kind of project.??

Is a light needed for the evening and morning biters? Will LEDs do the trick? white or blue?

Whatever; I'm making one for my That wife to take to LOS for her coming holiday with family where there is a bad mozzie problem.

Safe with only 5v or 12v power supply.

Edited by Jing Joe

There are stacks of videos on YouTube that prove all those DIY miracle mosquito trap devices don`t work. I don`t think there are such things are reliable mosquito traps. My only defense is to keep the electric mosquito bat at hand and when I see one try to zap it.

The worst mosquitoes seem to be the small ones, they are difficult to see, fast and their bites are more potent. They even manage to bite through socks and light weight tee shirts as in my case they go for the ankles first as all my invading mosquitoes have foot fetishes. A great get rich quick challenge for anyone who can invent a perfect mosquito trap, one that really works.

Aliexpress has plenty I work with a plug in blue light never had a mosquito in my sleeping room again at least not alive for long. I plug them in at 18.00 or so and by bedtime I unplug & I can be sure nothing will disturb me.

Edited by blueyeshk

Here are 3 pictures I found on google .

do the mosquitos get sucked thru the small fan ?

and how long does the dry ice last ?

and since they all look the same is this something sold in Australia ?

The CO2 is in the can. There are holes in the bottom of the can to let the stream of CO2 out. The fan blows down into the bag and they get trapped there. The small bulb gives off a little heat. The mosquitoes are dumb enough to think its a cow out on the marsh. One of the fellows in the photos is Cameron Webb. He was doing his PhD at the same time as me. Met him on the Gold Coast at a meeting in 1996 when we were students. Think he still works at Westmead Hospital.

edit: dry ice easily lasts all night if the can is insulated. Generally we put in about a kilo of the stuff - filled up the can. Perhaps some of that mouldable spray foam would work. I don't know if there are any commercial kits like these. We just made our own. Quite simple. I was able to buy it commercially in Australia at a company, but no idea in Thailand...Swensens may know:)

Edited by DavisH

An urn full of water and little fish in the yard will help keep the population down. The mossies lay their eggs in the water and the fish eat the larvae.

Sorry, but that's not enough. We have a fish pond and still get loads of mossies in the bedroom.

They are coming from elsewhere....,many breed in stagnant drains, especially in the dry season when they do not flush out regularly.

UPDATE ON MY CUSTOM SOLUTIONS WORKS 100%

using the Black Hole Junior device I managed to perfect the trap, I made a simple bottle down CO2 sugar + yeast trap and put the bottle near the black hole device I also put the device among the plants pots which emits CO2 at night and the result is astonishing for the first night the device caught around 30 mosquitoes.

post-75536-0-73331900-1455723857_thumb.p

Edited by marcofunny

Has anyone made one of the 2 liter bottle / brown sugar / yeast traps ?

and do they work on "Thai' mosquitoes ?

When you look on Google and YouTube you see a big split of it works GREAT and it is JUNK and caught nothing ?

I am not sure if it is the type of mosquito , the type of sugar ( does it need to be brown sugar) , too much yeast ( or not enough )

As far as the pictures I posted , these were people who work in that field (555) so the trap is going to work as good or better than anything you can buy at the store

Edited by BKKdreaming

Has anyone made one of the 2 liter bottle / brown sugar / yeast traps ?

and do they work on "Thai' mosquitoes ?

When you look on Google and YouTube you see a big split of it works GREAT and it is JUNK and caught nothing ?

I am not sure if it is the type of mosquito , the type of sugar ( does it need to be brown sugar) , too much yeast ( or not enough )

As far as the pictures I posted , these were people who work in that field (555) so the trap is going to work as good or better than anything you can buy at the store

my trap works with the average Thai mosquitoes found in Bangkok, I just found that the CO2 trap wont work alone without a second air fan sucking trap and vice versa, mosquitoes are naturally attracted to CO2 and Octenol, I ordered some Octenol online from amazon and waiting for them to be delivered so I could see if it has improved the catch rate of my current trap.

as for the sugar and yeast I just used a cheap simple instant bread yeast found in most supermarkets, I put 1/2 sugar spoon of yeast on big cup of warm water with 3 big spoons of refined white sugar, had to clean the formed foam twice on the bottle.

post-75536-0-42630100-1455736705_thumb.j

Edited by marcofunny

Well that was a waste of time. 2-liter bottle mosquito trap has nothing in it this AM. Not a gnat, fly, ant, spider, mosquito, rodent, snake, or any other creature was caught. One could surmise that the trap is not really a trap but a repellent. That's what I'll call it.....my 2-liter bottle mosquito trap repellent. It works so good, nothing will go in it. LOL I will try it again another time and see what happens. Who knows, it might not work like the first time and actually catch something.

I should have known better than to get all excited about what I thought was my ground-breaking design without first searching the internet.

Many hours later on line now have discovered so much more, so its back to the drawing board.

LEDs ?? >> Green then white seem top of the list.

A string (6?) of them in series to suit a small 9v to 12v DC power supply would obviate the need for a dropping resistor for say just one LED.

Different colours to some extent for different mozzies.

The Co2 volume needs more than my bi carb soda and vinegar solution/suggestion might provide. Yet to prove.

Octonel attractant might not be so good for all mozzies.

Reports that the yeast and sugar suggestions attract bugs, but not many if any mozzies.

I did make a nice slow dripper though, with a short PVC tube hanging down from the lid of an inverted soda bottle with an air hole in its bottom.

I pushed some cotton wool up the tube and first-up had 1 drop every 5 seconds. Basic principle seems good.

Access to the I.V. hospital drip is worth investigating, or ingeniously copying.

UV zapper lights seem no good for mozzies but the zapper part could be good to zap them on their way into an attractant filled hidey-hole black cardboard box.

Someone used a mozzie raquet on the outside of this box with the on button strapped on. Would have needed the charger operating?

The fan/net combination above (Video) from BKKdreaming in principle seems to simplify access to fans but how can an attractant be incorporated?

Maybe Green or white LEDs could be mounted on the back side of the fan?

Why not a longer sock-type net mounted on a standard small pedestal fan so the sock could be scrunched up for removal to get rid of the live mozzies when the fan is turned off?

Or would you leave it running and just face his compact design towards an open window and spray them?

But this could defeat the idea of no-spray when you turn it around again?

Hoping for more ideas guys/gals.

Edited by Jing Joe

I should have known better than to get all excited about what I thought was my ground-breaking design without first searching the internet.

Many hours later on line now have discovered so much more, so its back to the drawing board.

LEDs ?? >> Green then white seem top of the list.

A string (6?) of them in series to suit a small 9v to 12v DC power supply would obviate the need for a dropping resistor for say just one LED.

Different colours to some extent for different mozzies.

The Co2 volume needs more than my bi carb soda and vinegar solution/suggestion might provide. Yet to prove.

Octonel attractant might not be so good for all mozzies.

Reports that the yeast and sugar suggestions attract bugs, but not many if any mozzies.

I did make a nice slow dripper though, with a short PVC tube hanging down from the lid of an inverted soda bottle with an air hole in its bottom.

I pushed some cotton wool up the tube and first-up had 1 drop every 5 seconds. Basic principle seems good.

Access to the I.V. hospital drip is worth investigating, or ingeniously copying.

UV zapper lights seem no good for mozzies but the zapper part could be good to zap them on their way into an attractant filled hidey-hole black cardboard box.

Someone used a mozzie raquet on the outside of this box with the on button strapped on. Would have needed the charger operating?

The fan/net combination above (Video) from BKKdreaming in principle seems to simplify access to fans but how can an attractant be incorporated?

Maybe Green or white LEDs could be mounted on the back side of the fan?

Why not a longer sock-type net mounted on a standard small pedestal fan so the sock could be scrunched up for removal to get rid of the live mozzies when the fan is turned off?

Or would you leave it running and just face his compact design towards an open window and spray them?

But this could defeat the idea of no-spray when you turn it around again?

Hoping for more ideas guys/gals.

P.S. How to kill them; Dilute isopropyl alcohol with water and spray with a kitchen spray.

the Skeeterbag guy has a puppy mill so he has lots of "bait" to get the mosquitoes close to the fan . but I bet more than half of his catch is house flys attracted by puppy poop .

still not bad to catch , but also advertising BS ,

I think the dry ice CO2 works best , but its not cheap and it only lasts a day or 2 which makes it something you cannot just leave and forget,

One thing we must remember is that 1000s of smart people worldwide are searching for the same thing , it is the "million dollar" idea ,

even the stuff that does not work well can make a million !

to the science whizs , what else can make CO2 , and why are Mosquitoes not attracted to fizzy drinks ?

I've seen a video once of some swiss stinky cheese (in a lab) which attracted loads of mozzy's. They let mozzy's choose between human and that cheese and they were equally attractive to them.

That cheese smelled like smelly feet.

Empty 6 Liter water jug.

Cut in Half

bottom half: fill 1/2 way with water...dissolve sugar and baker's yeast (will produce CO2)

Top half: invert and stick into bottom half upside down....

Mozzies will be attracted to the CO2 emanating from the jug and fly down the tunnel to the water where they will get trapped and drown drunk on CO2

Yes, they work. I have three. Have the black hole model. Not cheap. About 1700 each. I recommend the ones with the double light tubes. They are brighter, and seem to attract more bugs. They get all kinds of bugs, not just mosquitos. They really cut down on the amount of mosquitos outside the home, though some remain. Have to watch out for standing water, and other causes, but it is a big help. The motors seem quite solid. The bulbs burn out from time to time. You can buy a pack of four replacement bulbs for 800 baht. Seems better than constantly spraying outside the house.

I bought this BLACK HOLE JUNIOR from Home pro for 900 Baht and it sucks as it did not work so well, any recommendations for the other devices.

220594.jpg

https://www.directtoshop.com/product/220594

other devices can be found here

https://www.directtoshop.com/ search "mosquito"

Yes, get the larger black hole device, with the double light tube. It is more powerful. The one shown seems to be more of a toy, for indoor use. The bigger one seems to work well outside my home. I collect 100's of dead bugs with it. As I despise many flying pests, it is always a pleasure to know I have been the indirect cause of their demise.

This simple lamp sold around 900 b at Makro works perfectly.

HomeWorks also sells this model but they don't sell the light bulbs.

I don't understand why the blackholes have to be so expensive, if it's just a blue light with a fan then why is it so expensive?

That fan makes noise and keeps the mozzy's alive for a while , the electrocuting models kill them on the spot.

We rarely have mozzy's in the house, screendoors, fans above the doors outside that we use at night when going in/out helps.

If they come in they'll go to the blue light zappers from 250 baht (never turn them off so the lightbulb lasts longer).

Also it helps to not have a pond or humid area in the garden.

When we go outside for a longer period we use the Deet repellants who work perfect.