Buying coconut oil

westbounder

Let us know what your search gets you. It's in Rimping, selling for around 400baht for a bottle containing about 1 litre.

It's far better than the dreaded Palm Oil, and much easier to clean up, but somewhat expensive.

As a comparison, a reasonable price for good quality olive oil in Australia is 300baht a litre. I would imagine the coconut oil is grown and bottled in Thailand.

An oil brand called Roi Thai do 1 litre bottles for 72 baht. It's not the usual clear colour but it's 100% coconut oil, I'm guessing a secondary oil and not extra virgin. I know Roi Thai do other types of oil so it's not a small brand. I bought it in a small independent supermarket chain but Tesco or other supermarkets may stock it.

Available at Noi's herbal juice store http://www.noichiangmai.com/

Good price, volume discount available. Exceptional quality brand, non sticky, clean taste and smell.

organic-extra-virgin-coconut-oil.jpg

ORGANIC EXTRA VIRGIN COCONUT OIL 100%

100ml bottle - 95 Baht
500ml bottle - 285 Baht
1 Litre - 500 Baht

scroll for location map http://www.thai-herbs-chiangmai.com/contact.php

We have been using Coconut Oil (cooking oil) for quite a while for and also a table spoon of extra virgin orally early morning.

Its obviously in higher demand as often its missing of the shelves in Makro ,Big C etc.

Noi's prices 2 posts back seems like good value.

You can try buying on line but the prices are much the same.

Makro, Mae Hia, cooking oil in the first stand you come too next to Olive Oils.

A local pharmacist once told me a teaspoon of coconut oil every morning keeps you regular, I mentioned that I had some extra virgin at home and she said not to waste the expensive oil for something like that but to use the cheaper stuff. She would probably have freaked out if she knew what I have it on had for - rubbing into my scalp and hair once a week. To be honest, I don't use enough of it to notice how expensive it is, I get the one litre bottle when it's on super special or buy one get one free and they last me for ages.

Cheapest place for coconut oil, a couple of different brands is YOK. often they sell 2 litre bottles and a free 1/2 litre one together.

incidently the same brands of cononut oil can be used for cooking and as a massage oil...and yes I used to test the theory that it can bring the dead hair follicles back to life.

I couldnt afford to test it for that long though.

the small bottles you buy on the market are often just decanted from the bought bottles with a massive mark up.

Cheapest place for coconut oil, a couple of different brands is YOK. often they sell 2 litre bottles and a free 1/2 litre one together.

incidently the same brands of cononut oil can be used for cooking and as a massage oil...and yes I used to test the theory that it can bring the dead hair follicles back to life.

I couldnt afford to test it for that long though.

the small bottles you buy on the market are often just decanted from the bought bottles with a massive mark up.

Where? I assume you are referring to trueblues comment: basement airport plaza.

Is that correct?

Not sure if my quote will come out clear but here is the link. If this is correct, I'll splurge and pay the extra money for the good stuff. The price Muskoka posted is a very good one for these days.

http://www.realrawfood.com/faq-coconut-oil

If you buy regular coconut oil, chances are it came from dried copra. This usually sits in a warehouse and gets oiled after a few months. This is bleached and deodorized. This is why there is no coconut aroma. High heat is also used which is why this type of oil is yellowish in color.

VIRGIN coconut oil is cold-pressed immediately upon opening of the coconut. The oil is extracted before the fermentation process sets in. It is normally bottled or packed within 8 hours from the time the nut is opened. This is not bleached nor deodorized, maintaining the freshness and the faint sweet coconut scent It will also be clear as water in liquid form because no high heat was used in it’s processing. If heated too much it will have caramelized sugars and have too srtong of a coconut smell and a buttery texture.

Not sure if my quote will come out clear but here is the link. If this is correct, I'll splurge and pay the extra money for the good stuff. The price Muskoka posted is a very good one for these days.

If you buy regular coconut oil, chances are it came from dried copra. This usually sits in a warehouse and gets oiled after a few months. This is bleached and deodorized. This is why there is no coconut aroma. High heat is also used which is why this type of oil is yellowish in color.

VIRGIN coconut oil is cold-pressed immediately upon opening of the coconut. The oil is extracted before the fermentation process sets in. It is normally bottled or packed within 8 hours from the time the nut is opened. This is not bleached nor deodorized, maintaining the freshness and the faint sweet coconut scent It will also be clear as water in liquid form because no high heat was used in it’s processing. If heated too much it will have caramelized sugars and have too srtong of a coconut smell and a buttery texture.

There really is a difference, even between brands that are labeled "Organic, Extra Virgin". Only one brand is stocked at Noi's store & there is a sampler spray bottle for people to try on their skin, plus a free tablespoon to taste - 100% of the time people's eyes light up and the smile says it all. Light, clean & fresh tasting, non-sticky.

Perhaps this quote from the website of the supplier of Noi's coconut oil explains why.....

....From our experiences in term of a leader of cold pressed virgin coconut oil manufacturer ,with the centrifuge process , combined with our strictness in manufacturing standard controlling, we keep in developing and improving our products to serve the market’s needs continuously under our philosophy that “ Providing a beyond satisfaction for customers with the highest standard and perpetually improvement.” Currently, only 5 minutes for us are enough to transform fresh coconut milk into virgin coconut oil. With this quick action, the coconut oil is still able to maintain and preserve all the necessary substances superbly. Not only this but this quick action also prevents undesirable chemical reactions which side effects can be rancidity and strong-smelling. Our coconut oil is clear and transparent like pure water, with a low viscosity, and no rancidity nor sour-smelling. Conversely, our coconut contains a light and pleasant smell of coconut. This oil is easily absorbed by human skin without the glutinous or sticky feeling. ...

http://coconut-virgin.com/en/home.html

Hi.. I'm the one who eat it everyday in the morning and I also sell it at sunday market. If you don't mind please check on the page

https://www.facebook.com/HerbalCoco/

I just started to do on the page hope it will not be bothered smile.png) and I will deliver to you if you are in the city or Sankamphaeng areas happy.png

Sunday market - where? The Thapae / Ratchdamnoen Walking Street on Sunday?

I'd be interested to know if those who use coconut oil for cooking find the taste of fried/roasted foods any different/better/worse than other good cooking oils? Presumably such users do not use it even in salads - in preference to extra virgin olive oil

There really is a difference, even between brands that are labeled "Organic, Extra Virgin". Only one brand is stocked at Noi's store & there is a sampler spray bottle for people to try on their skin, plus a free tablespoon to taste - 100% of the time people's eyes light up and the smile says it all. Light, clean & fresh tasting, non-sticky.

Perhaps this quote from the website of the supplier of Noi's coconut oil explains why.....

....From our experiences in term of a leader of cold pressed virgin coconut oil manufacturer ,with the centrifuge process , combined with our strictness in manufacturing standard controlling, we keep in developing and improving our products to serve the market’s needs continuously under our philosophy that “ Providing a beyond satisfaction for customers with the highest standard and perpetually improvement.” Currently, only 5 minutes for us are enough to transform fresh coconut milk into virgin coconut oil. With this quick action, the coconut oil is still able to maintain and preserve all the necessary substances superbly. Not only this but this quick action also prevents undesirable chemical reactions which side effects can be rancidity and strong-smelling. Our coconut oil is clear and transparent like pure water, with a low viscosity, and no rancidity nor sour-smelling. Conversely, our coconut contains a light and pleasant smell of coconut. This oil is easily absorbed by human skin without the glutinous or sticky feeling. ...

http://coconut-virgin.com/en/home.html

Noi's shop in in Chiangmai? Where exactly? (The price quoted in the relevant post above is however higher than the 400/litre at Rimping).

Edited by triffid

I'd be interested to know if those who use coconut oil for cooking find the taste of fried/roasted foods any different/better/worse than other good cooking oils? Presumably such users do not use it even in salads - in preference to extra virgin olive oil

It is said to be the perfect oil for frying as it has a very high smoke point, however I have only ever had extra virgin. Whilst it is great when making Indian or Malaysian/Thai dishes, I spoiled it for myself by frying an egg in it - the taste of coconut was so strong I couldn't finish it. If you want a coconut tinge to your food or salad, great - it worked well the one time I made a salad to go with an Indian meal and used it in the dressing - but for cooking western style food it is a little odd, although you may well get used to it if you persist, there are alternatives so I haven't. The refined oils are said to have no coconut taste, but they have been refined so may have lost a lot of the beneficial effects.

I've also read that it has good antiseptic and deodorising properties, but I haven't verified that this is true. It is certainly good for your hair; I've used olive oil since childhood but tried out coconut oil about 15 years ago and haven't looked back. Use on the scalp, not the actual hair and leave for at least a couple of hours or if you use a towel on your pillowcase a couple of days. It really isn't difficult to wash out, but often I will pay a local hairdresser 50 baht to wash my hair (I don't let them dry it, preferring natural air drying hence the 50 baht).

It is said to be the perfect oil for frying as it has a very high smoke point, however I have only ever had extra virgin. Whilst it is great when making Indian or Malaysian/Thai dishes, I spoiled it for myself by frying an egg in it - the taste of coconut was so strong I couldn't finish it. If you want a coconut tinge to your food or salad, great - it worked well the one time I made a salad to go with an Indian meal and used it in the dressing - but for cooking western style food it is a little odd, although you may well get used to it if you persist, there are alternatives so I haven't. The refined oils are said to have no coconut taste, but they have been refined so may have lost a lot of the beneficial effects.

I've also read that it has good antiseptic and deodorising properties, but I haven't verified that this is true. It is certainly good for your hair; I've used olive oil since childhood but tried out coconut oil about 15 years ago and haven't looked back. Use on the scalp, not the actual hair and leave for at least a couple of hours or if you use a towel on your pillowcase a couple of days. It really isn't difficult to wash out, but often I will pay a local hairdresser 50 baht to wash my hair (I don't let them dry it, preferring natural air drying hence the 50 baht).

Thanks. The conclusions I've drawn from your info is that I should stick to olive oil (extra virgin for salads and raw preparations) when eating European food, and try out coconut oil for Indian or similarly strong-tasting spicy food. I note also your comments on the benefits to hair etc, but you don't say that you've seen actual benefits - 'never looked back' isn't quite saying this in my book.

Edited by triffid

That's expensive in Los. ......we get extra Virgin, clear, for about 280b a litre...very good quality, its all we use, even in kids hair each day after in the sun and ocean...no reason why it should be so expensive there

You say extra Virgin clear.

Then you say very good quality. Is there extra Virgin clear that is low quality?

Noi's shop in in Chiangmai? Where exactly?

ที่อยู่ร้าน: 200/1 ถนน กำแพงดิน ตำบล หายยา จังหวัด เชียงใหม่ 50100

200/1 Kampangdin Street, Tambon Haiya, Chiang Mai 50100 Thailand

map.jpg

http://www.thai-herbs-chiangmai.com/contact.php

(The price quoted in the relevant post above is however higher than the 400/litre at Rimping).

incorrect, you must be referring to a different brand.

The brand Noi carries is occasionally found in Rimping (Airport). Rimping charges B550 for 1L and B200 for 250ml - the only 2 sizes I have ever found there, and only occasionally do they stock this brand.

Noi stocks the following sizes/price...

1L - B500

500ml - B285

250ml - B185

100ml spray - B100

There is a good reason only one brand is stocked by Noi. The proof of quality is in the skin-testing, smell, and taste - drop by and sample some.

Volume discounts can be negotiated.

Doug

Thanks. The conclusions I've drawn from your info is that I should stick to olive oil (extra virgin for salads and raw preparations) when eating European food, and try out coconut oil for Indian or similarly strong-tasting spicy food. I note also your comments on the benefits to hair etc, but you don't say that you've seen actual benefits - 'never looked back' isn't quite saying this in my book.

Sorry - the oil for hair is very good. If I go a few weeks without putting any oil on my hair, usually when we go to Europe for a month or so, I can really tell the difference. If it gets bad enough, I will use olive oil at my mam's place rather than nothing at all, no oil treatment at all for a few weeks and my hair feels different, but coconut just seems to work better. I can't quantify 'better', it isn't scientific at all, just not the same.

Hi.. I'm the one who eat it everyday in the morning and I also sell it at sunday market. If you don't mind please check on the page

https://www.facebook.com/HerbalCoco/

I just started to do on the page hope it will not be bothered smile.png) and I will deliver to you if you are in the city or Sankamphaeng areas happy.png

I've just had 4 x 1 litres delivered. Crystal clear, certified organic. A very reasonable price.

I order from a company in Bangkok who sells 350baht per liter for organic cold pressed. You have to pay for shipping depending on the amount you order. I'll be making an order soon, PM me if you're interested. I do not make any profit from the company, just have a few friends pooling together to save on shipping costs.

Since we switched from Sunflower to Coconut oil for cooking (still use V.Olive for salads), I've noticed the cooking aroma is slightly coconut scented, sweet, and yet no coconut flavour attaches to food. Potatoes fry up crisp and golden, stirfry is as good as ever.

Noticed Makro Hang Dong stocks have increased so demand must be up.

• 2 weeks later...

Since we switched from Sunflower to Coconut oil for cooking (still use V.Olive for salads), I've noticed the cooking aroma is slightly coconut scented, sweet, and yet no coconut flavour attaches to food. Potatoes fry up crisp and golden, stirfry is as good as ever.

Noticed Makro Hang Dong stocks have increased so demand must be up.

Specifically which quality of coconut oil do you use for cooking - extra virgin, cold pressed, or other? What's Makro's price per litre?