Nok Air criticized by Thai Cabinet for allowing strike to affect passengers

webfact

Nok Air criticized by Cabinet for allowing strike to affect passengers

BANGKOK, 17 February 2016 (NNT) – The government has strongly criticized Nok Air for its inefficient handling of the recent strike of pilots, causing passengers to be left stranded at the airport.

Following the Cabinet meeting, Government Spokesperson Maj Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd revealed that the Ministry of Transport informed the Cabinet of various measures being taken to raise the standard of Thai aviation and deal with problems arising from the adjustment of aviation regulations.

The Cabinet acknowledged the information while Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak expressed dissatisfaction with Nok Air’s inability to take care of passengers when a group of pilots went on strike on February 14, resulting in the cancellation of many flights. He said the government will not condone such negligence and executives of the airline must show responsibility for the incident.

Mr Somkid instructed the Transport Ministry to issue a warning to Nok Air as he wished that no incident of this kind will ever happen again in the future. As for the stepping up of aviation control measures, the deputy premier insisted that related agencies should put in place a mechanism to help airlines cope with potential impacts, instead of letting them deal with the issue by themselves.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-02-17 footer_n.gif

Transport Minister Issues Nok Air a Yellow Card
BY JACOB MASLOW

Nok_Air_ATR_ATR-72-201_Prasertwit-1.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Nok Air has been issued a warning by the government, and the airline may lose its license if passengers continue to be affected by its problems.

Sansern Kaewkamnerd, government spokesman, stated that the cabinet ordered the Transport Ministry to issue the warning to Patee Sarasin, chief executive of Nok Air, after Tuesday’s cabinet meeting.

The warning came after Nok Air’s pilots went on strike on Sunday, leaving hundreds of passengers stranded at Don Mueang airport. Nine flights were canceled due to the strike.

Full story: https://ethailand.com/business-news/transport-minister-issues-nok-air-a-yellow-card/1575/

-- eThailand 2016-02-17

I guess the government forgot that Nok Air doesn't have Article 44 to back up it's demands and force striking pilots to fly

Wonder if the German government issues Yellow Cards to Lufthansa, every time their pilots pull one of these "wildcat" strikes

And to be perfectly honest with you , I sure as hell would not want to be on a plane where my life is in the hands of a pilot or other member of the flight crew that is angry at the company they work for

I much prefer a delay, over death

Edited by Langsuan Man

I guess the government forgot that Nok Air doesn't have Article 44 to back up it's demands and force striking pilots to fly

Wonder if the German government issues Yellow Cards to Lufthansa, every time their pilots pull one of these "wildcat" strikes

And to be perfectly honest with you , I sure as hell would not want to be on a plane where my life is in the hands of a pilot or other member of the flight crew that is angry at the company they work for

I fly with them Sunday.bah.gif

"Meanwhile a pilot who served as the airline’s manager of flight standards and was fired Tuesday, accused his former employer of violating regulations."

"Sanit Kongpetch said Nok failed to deal with a pilot shortage and instead has been posing unqualified trainees as pilots."

"He said the airline failed to hire adequate numbers of pilots for its flights since there were at least 30 pilots resigned last year."

"The CEO...explained the airline’s woes on the Chinese zodiac."

"Three company executives were born in the Year of the Tiger, the airline CEO explained, which makes for great misfortune in this Year of the Monkey." blink.png

cheesy.gif cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

"To turn things around, Patee said the executives plan to make merit together at a temple."

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1455698180&typecate=06&section=

Edited by iReason

I was informed by someone that I believe that the crux of the issue is that the core group of pilots at Nok (that refused to fly) are ex Navy pilots. NOK management has brought in 2 retired but well respected THAI Airways Captains to implement systems that would eventually enable NOK to pass EASA certification. Those two are both ex-airforce.

So armed forces factionalism plus a perceived reduction in status is the core issue causing the pilots to strike.

Not easy to run an airline in Thailand.

all Lufthansa strikes have been announced before and executed according to German law (not that this makes it more pleasant for the PAX to deal with)

My last four flights with Nok Air had three terrifying moments, one in which passengers were screaming on an approach to CNX. Having been a regular flyer with them for several years, I don't want to ever fly with them again. The comment that trainees are being put in as pilots wouldn't surprise me at all.

The CEO further explained the airline’s woes on the Chinese zodiac.

Three company executives were born in the Year of the Tiger, the airline CEO explained, which makes for great misfortune in this Year of the Monkey. To turn things around, Patee said the executives plan to make merit together at a temple.

How do these cretins get important jobs? - Oh, right, of course....